Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Genoobie and Alan....

  1. #1
    Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    63,491

    Genoobie and Alan....

    I need a 10 minute brain break..

    As reference.

    http://www.buffaloschools.org/district.cfm?subpage=68

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Public_Schools



    Lets say they had an audit in the City of Buffalo and found an account with $200,000,000 dollars hidden away. No one can track where the money came from except it belongs to the City.

    We all find out and I post up...

    "What should the City do with the windfall"....

    I make a comment why not take the 200,000,000 and invest to earn interest. Even at 4% the City could have a revenue stream of $8,000,000. The City could use that $8,000,000 to fix a lot of small things that may effect the quality of life for all residents...Pot holes, light fixtures, park items etc... Even use the 8 mil to promote tourism. You all mock me and tell me I'm an idiot.

    Out of no where Phil registers and demands the Buffalo School district should receive all the funds. It's for the kids after all..

    2860.6 (FTE)[2]
    2142.7 (FTE)[2]

    Employee to to student ratio:

    34000 students / 5000 employees = 6.8 students per each employee.

    I see there is a total of about 5000 employees.... Phil demands bonuses...

    $200,000,000 / 5000 employees = $40,000 per employee one lump sum for 2014. Teachers agree with this idea. After all it is for the kids you know... Right Alan and Genoobie?


    Then I post up my idea...

    I say why not take the $200,000,000 and give it to the kids... You know if it for the kids after all....

    $200,000,000 / 34,000 = $5,882 per child to be used for their educational needs. The parents control their own windfall to specifically help their own children's education. Each receives a debit card that can only ring out for specific approved items. If any funny business happens the debit card is instantly cancelled and the parent is made fun of by the red coats on channel 2.

    Items could be....

    A specific computer, pens/pencils, books, clothing, private tutoring, service to call to make sure the kids are up on time, a specific need of the child. You have 4 kids you get 4 windfalls to be used for the kids needs. We are all created equal that includes kids.

    We could have "group purchases" where a group of parents combine their windfall to get their neighborhood school something that would benefit a group of kids.

    20 parents might see a need for security at the school their children attend. 20 X $5890 = $117,800. 2 security guard could be hired.

    20 parents might have children that need tutoring. $117,800 could hire 2 people to tutor the group if kids after hours or at the public library.

    20 parents might have work conflicts. They could hire someone to somewhat baby sit the kids at a community center/library until the parents are home.

    Maybe 20 parents think a community garden could teach their kids something over the summer that interests them. 20 parents from another school think it is a good idea also and decide to do a summer contest of who can grow the most. Give the kids a competitive streak. They form small community gardens ran by teams of school kids.

    Maybe 20 parents want to teach their children live stock raising. Teach basic animal farming over the summer.

    Maybe some parents see a need to get kids interested in robotics and want to start an in school program. They could get together with the interested kids, parents and fund a small program. The kids could compete against other school and crush them.

    Maybe one school has a music program but it isn't funded as it used to be. Parents can group up and purchase enough instruments to form a small band.

    Maybe one school has a sports program but it isn't funded as it used to be. Parents can group up and purchase sporting equipment.

    Maybe a group of parents see a gang that is poisoning their children with drugs. They can pool their money and hire Chuck Norris to eradicate the gang. Or demolish the house that drags are being sold from...


    You get the drift?


    So Alan and Genoobie... which idea would benefit the children more? It is for the kids after all...

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,075
    Here's my solution based on the message board themes..

    Get the ten wealthiest "net taxpayers" in Buffalo (after all they all work hard for that wealth) and have a drawing and give one of them the $200M. Then that way they can grow their business and hire people. They're the job creators after all. Of course, everybody who is less wealthy than that can take a hike because they must not be smart enough to become the best (richest). If they hire their friends, so be it. If they sink the money into the derivatives market, even better because that way they can just come back for another $200M. After all, it will eventually trickle down to the children.

    Let's take a look at Paladino who runs on the "I'm for neighborhood schools" ticket, unless of course the rental of his property to a charter school is to his benefit. Then he can bus kids all the way around the city. Maybe he's doing it so that these poor children can be bussed through "nice" neighborhoods and that way they'll learn how to make their neighborhoods "nice".

    In fact, let's just give the money to Carl cause he'll do what's best for the kids.

  3. #3
    Member leftWNYbecauseofBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,867
    Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
    Let's take a look at Paladino who runs on the "I'm for neighborhood schools" ticket, unless of course the rental of his property to a charter school is to his benefit. Then he can bus kids all the way around the city. Maybe he's doing it so that these poor children can be bussed through "nice" neighborhoods and that way they'll learn how to make their neighborhoods "nice".

    In fact, let's just give the money to Carl cause he'll do what's best for the kids.

    You have talked about the fruit belt community charter school several times...so I am going to assume you have done some research on it. So, I have a couple of questions.

    The name of the school is the Aloma D Johnson Fruit Belt Community Charter School and I get the feeling that you feel that it should be located in the Fruit Belt. I am going to assume this is because of the name. So..

    Just how many kids live within a 1 mile radius of 833 Michigan Ave Buffalo, NY 14203? Since you seem to be mocking Carl on his ideas for neighborhood schools and have issue with a neighborhood school in the fruit belt being moved, I am sure you have some statistics that would support a neighborhood school being in this location. I hope I am right. Going further, and leaning on your expert insider knowledge, can you tell me how many kids live within a 1 mile radius of 15 Jewett Pkwy, Buffalo, NY?

    The reason I am asking these two specific questions is you seem to be connecting the change of address for a neighborhood school as being a contradiction by Carl who supports having schools be based on neighborhoods. So I am sure you have some statistics to show that there are enough students (within walking distance) of 833 Michigan Ave Buffalo, NY 14203 to support a neighborhood school. Right?

    If this is not the case, then it would appear that you're suggesting that neighborhood charter schools should remain in locations where there are not enough kids to support it actually being a neighborhood school...simply because a specific neighborhood is in the name. Am I wrong?

    Better put, if the name was always the Aloma D Johnson Super Awesome Community School, would you have an issue with it moving? After all, good logic would say that if you want to have a neighborhood school...you should locate in neighborhoods with...you know...kids to attend the school. Now, you think that people should be get promotions and raises without consideration to performance...so maybe you think that neighborhood schools should exist without actual neighborhoods...so I figured I would ask.

    Gonna hang up to listen to your answer now....

  4. #4
    Member buffalopundit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,657
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I need a 10 minute brain break..

    As reference.

    http://www.buffaloschools.org/district.cfm?subpage=68

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Public_Schools



    Lets say they had an audit in the City of Buffalo and found an account with $200,000,000 dollars hidden away. No one can track where the money came from except it belongs to the City.

    We all find out and I post up...

    "What should the City do with the windfall"....

    I make a comment why not take the 200,000,000 and invest to earn interest. Even at 4% the City could have a revenue stream of $8,000,000. The City could use that $8,000,000 to fix a lot of small things that may effect the quality of life for all residents...Pot holes, light fixtures, park items etc... Even use the 8 mil to promote tourism. You all mock me and tell me I'm an idiot.

    Out of no where Phil registers and demands the Buffalo School district should receive all the funds. It's for the kids after all..

    2860.6 (FTE)[2]
    2142.7 (FTE)[2]

    Employee to to student ratio:

    34000 students / 5000 employees = 6.8 students per each employee.

    I see there is a total of about 5000 employees.... Phil demands bonuses...

    $200,000,000 / 5000 employees = $40,000 per employee one lump sum for 2014. Teachers agree with this idea. After all it is for the kids you know... Right Alan and Genoobie?


    Then I post up my idea...

    I say why not take the $200,000,000 and give it to the kids... You know if it for the kids after all....

    $200,000,000 / 34,000 = $5,882 per child to be used for their educational needs. The parents control their own windfall to specifically help their own children's education. Each receives a debit card that can only ring out for specific approved items. If any funny business happens the debit card is instantly cancelled and the parent is made fun of by the red coats on channel 2.

    Items could be....

    A specific computer, pens/pencils, books, clothing, private tutoring, service to call to make sure the kids are up on time, a specific need of the child. You have 4 kids you get 4 windfalls to be used for the kids needs. We are all created equal that includes kids.

    We could have "group purchases" where a group of parents combine their windfall to get their neighborhood school something that would benefit a group of kids.

    20 parents might see a need for security at the school their children attend. 20 X $5890 = $117,800. 2 security guard could be hired.

    20 parents might have children that need tutoring. $117,800 could hire 2 people to tutor the group if kids after hours or at the public library.

    20 parents might have work conflicts. They could hire someone to somewhat baby sit the kids at a community center/library until the parents are home.

    Maybe 20 parents think a community garden could teach their kids something over the summer that interests them. 20 parents from another school think it is a good idea also and decide to do a summer contest of who can grow the most. Give the kids a competitive streak. They form small community gardens ran by teams of school kids.

    Maybe 20 parents want to teach their children live stock raising. Teach basic animal farming over the summer.

    Maybe some parents see a need to get kids interested in robotics and want to start an in school program. They could get together with the interested kids, parents and fund a small program. The kids could compete against other school and crush them.

    Maybe one school has a music program but it isn't funded as it used to be. Parents can group up and purchase enough instruments to form a small band.

    Maybe one school has a sports program but it isn't funded as it used to be. Parents can group up and purchase sporting equipment.

    Maybe a group of parents see a gang that is poisoning their children with drugs. They can pool their money and hire Chuck Norris to eradicate the gang. Or demolish the house that drags are being sold from...


    You get the drift?


    So Alan and Genoobie... which idea would benefit the children more? It is for the kids after all...
    I have no idea what you're talking about. You want the district to hand $5k over to kids' parents because they found a windfall? But it's the city's money?
    This website makes money off of a depraved and idiotic conspiracy theory.

  5. #5
    Member granpabob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wagener, South Carolina
    Posts
    3,605
    after all the law suits and studies are over about how to use the money and court cases to blaim someone for losing that much money. Whatever is left ten years from now should pay off debt. and maybe not beg for so much from the state of new york
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

  6. #6
    Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    63,491
    Quote Originally Posted by buffalopundit View Post
    I have no idea what you're talking about. You want the district to hand $5k over to kids' parents because they found a windfall? But it's the city's money?
    Exactly. Thinking totally out of the box. I know there is not 200,000,000 hidden in some lost account. I'm just being hypothetical.

    Each child would receive one debit card in their name. If you have 1 child you receive one debit card or if you have 8 kids you receive 8 debits cards. That debit card can only be use for purchases and/or services that benefit the child's educational needs.


    So what in your opinion would benefit the child more? The money spent by the family specifically for the child or if each school employee received a bonus?

    Pretty simple concept.

  7. #7
    Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    63,491
    Quote Originally Posted by granpabob View Post
    after all the law suits and studies are over about how to use the money and court cases to blaim someone for losing that much money. Whatever is left ten years from now should pay off debt. and maybe not beg for so much from the state of new york
    We are going to assume none of that will be allowed to happen. I could have used an example that "Mr. Iam Loaded" passed away and left $200,000,000 to the City of Buffalo versus a lost past account holding the funds.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,075
    Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    You have talked about the fruit belt community charter school several times...so I am going to assume you have done some research on it. So, I have a couple of questions.

    The name of the school is the Aloma D Johnson Fruit Belt Community Charter School and I get the feeling that you feel that it should be located in the Fruit Belt. I am going to assume this is because of the name. So..

    Just how many kids live within a 1 mile radius of 833 Michigan Ave Buffalo, NY 14203? Since you seem to be mocking Carl on his ideas for neighborhood schools and have issue with a neighborhood school in the fruit belt being moved, I am sure you have some statistics that would support a neighborhood school being in this location. I hope I am right. Going further, and leaning on your expert insider knowledge, can you tell me how many kids live within a 1 mile radius of 15 Jewett Pkwy, Buffalo, NY?

    The reason I am asking these two specific questions is you seem to be connecting the change of address for a neighborhood school as being a contradiction by Carl who supports having schools be based on neighborhoods. So I am sure you have some statistics to show that there are enough students (within walking distance) of 833 Michigan Ave Buffalo, NY 14203 to support a neighborhood school. Right?

    If this is not the case, then it would appear that you're suggesting that neighborhood charter schools should remain in locations where there are not enough kids to support it actually being a neighborhood school...simply because a specific neighborhood is in the name. Am I wrong?

    Better put, if the name was always the Aloma D Johnson Super Awesome Community School, would you have an issue with it moving? After all, good logic would say that if you want to have a neighborhood school...you should locate in neighborhoods with...you know...kids to attend the school. Now, you think that people should be get promotions and raises without consideration to performance...so maybe you think that neighborhood schools should exist without actual neighborhoods...so I figured I would ask.

    Gonna hang up to listen to your answer now....
    The attendees of the Aloma D. Johnson Charter School are principally residents of this neighborhood, yes. The school is scoring far below state standards, but that's expected. It is doing about the same on standardized testing as Buffalo Public.

    The school added a new class and enrollment is steady (reference NYS Report Card). So yes, it appears that there are enough children to support the neighborhood school. If there weren't enough kids to support the enrollment at the school, why wouldn't Paladino simply shut the school down and support enrollment at the neighborhood school that's there (Futures Academy I think)? As far as I know, the kids in the Jewett neighborhood have a neighborhood school to go to and there are other schools that are near the Aloma D. Johnson school.

    Actually, because 3012-c is law, your employment is tied to performance. Oh well, guess you are wrong again. I am not against neighborhood schools. I support them actually, but if Paladino has an empty building that needs a tenant, he'll be glad to help out by providing the building and billing the BPS for transportation costs. But, hey, that's OK because he's Carl. He's doing it for the kids.

  9. #9
    Member leftWNYbecauseofBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,867
    Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
    The attendees of the Aloma D. Johnson Charter School are principally residents of this neighborhood, yes. The school is scoring far below state standards, but that's expected. It is doing about the same on standardized testing as Buffalo Public.

    The school added a new class and enrollment is steady (reference NYS Report Card). So yes, it appears that there are enough children to support the neighborhood school. If there weren't enough kids to support the enrollment at the school, why wouldn't Paladino simply shut the school down and support enrollment at the neighborhood school that's there (Futures Academy I think)? As far as I know, the kids in the Jewett neighborhood have a neighborhood school to go to and there are other schools that are near the Aloma D. Johnson school.

    Actually, because 3012-c is law, your employment is tied to performance. Oh well, guess you are wrong again. I am not against neighborhood schools. I support them actually, but if Paladino has an empty building that needs a tenant, he'll be glad to help out by providing the building and billing the BPS for transportation costs. But, hey, that's OK because he's Carl. He's doing it for the kids.
    I don't care about the scores for this conversation. I don't care about performance for this conversation. You're just throwing up random items and not answering my question. Blowing smoke...because you either have no idea what you're talking about or know you're wrong.


    You talk about enrollment numbers but are unable to show where those kids live. Again, the point of a neighborhood school is to have the school located near where the kids live. Did it occur to you at any point that maybe the school looked at where the students lived and decided to move to a central location or a better location to suite THE MOST KIDS POSSIBLE?

    Why would you shut down a school when a move is possible? 'As far as you know' means very little to me. Until you show numbers that say otherwise, the only thing that ties this school to the Fruit Belt is the name.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,075
    Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    I don't care about the scores for this conversation. I don't care about performance for this conversation. You're just throwing up random items and not answering my question. Blowing smoke...because you either have no idea what you're talking about or know you're wrong.

    You talk about enrollment numbers but are unable to show where those kids live. Again, the point of a neighborhood school is to have the school located near where the kids live. Did it occur to you at any point that maybe the school looked at where the students lived and decided to move to a central location or a better location to suite THE MOST KIDS POSSIBLE?
    Why would you shut down a school when a move is possible? 'As far as you know' means very little to me. Until you show numbers that say otherwise, the only thing that ties this school to the Fruit Belt is the name.
    Duh, stupid me. You're right the Aloma D. Johnson Charter School gets enrollment from the Parkside community to where it is moving. In fact, I see the minority enrollment is 92% at the school, funny, I didn't see so many minorities in the destination neighborhood. Do you have evidence to prove otherwise since you seem to be speaking from a superior perspective? The school's webpage boasts St. John's Fruit Belt Community Development Association as a partner.

    *Snort*, you're right though. They're bussing the kids in Williamsville to attend the school. Haha, right, the Fruit Belt Charter gets their students from Clarence because clearly that school system is all effed up.

    Of course, you have data to show that the move to Paladino's building has nothing to do with Paladino's conflict of interest as a primary lessor to multiple charter schools and now as a member of the BBOE.

    Your argument is smoke and mirrors. Of course the enrollment is from the Fruit Belt. Who else would attend this school with the choice of schools that are Buffalo?
    Last edited by Genoobie; June 3rd, 2013 at 07:06 PM.

  11. #11
    Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    63,491
    34000 children and 5000 employees gives a employee to child ratio of 6.8:1. That seems like a lot of employees

  12. #12
    Member leftWNYbecauseofBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,867
    Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
    Duh, stupid me. You're right the Aloma D. Johnson Charter School gets enrollment from the Parkside community to where it is moving. In fact, I see the minority enrollment is 92% at the school, funny, I didn't see so many minorities in the destination neighborhood. Do you have evidence to prove otherwise since you seem to be speaking from a superior perspective? The school's webpage boasts St. John's Fruit Belt Community Development Association as a partner.

    *Snort*, you're right though. They're bussing the kids in Williamsville to attend the school. Haha, right, the Fruit Belt Charter gets their students from Clarence because clearly that school system is all effed up.

    Of course, you have data to show that the move to Paladino's building has nothing to do with Paladino's conflict of interest as a primary lessor to multiple charter schools and now as a member of the BBOE.

    Your argument is smoke and mirrors. Of course the enrollment is from the Fruit Belt. Who else would attend this school with the choice of schools that are Buffalo?
    I am simply asking questions. You started by making claims about Carl without any data to back it up. In reply to asking for the data...any data....you want data from me to ask a question? Is that how you run a classroom? No wonder the BPS is so bad...

    You can be in favor of neighborhood schools AND at the same time be in favor of removing a school from a neighborhood if it can't support it. In fact, that's exactly how it should work. Why is that so difficult for you to grasp?

    Again, if there are numbers that show the Fruit Belt can support a neighborhood school...then I would agree with you that moving is a bad idea. But you are unable to show these numbers. What you can tell me is that the Charter is backed by the St. John's Fruit Belt Community Development Association yet STILL moved. Can you find me any public comments from St. John's Fruit Belt Community Development Association saying they don't want it to move? Outside of your dislike for Carl and your desire to paint him in a bad light...do you have ANYTHING from ANYONE coming out against the move? Would love to read about it more.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,075
    Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    I am simply asking questions. You started by making claims about Carl without any data to back it up. In reply to asking for the data...any data....you want data from me to ask a question? Is that how you run a classroom? No wonder the BPS is so bad...

    You can be in favor of neighborhood schools AND at the same time be in favor of removing a school from a neighborhood if it can't support it. In fact, that's exactly how it should work. Why is that so difficult for you to grasp?

    Again, if there are numbers that show the Fruit Belt can support a neighborhood school...then I would agree with you that moving is a bad idea. But you are unable to show these numbers. What you can tell me is that the Charter is backed by the St. John's Fruit Belt Community Development Association yet STILL moved. Can you find me any public comments from St. John's Fruit Belt Community Development Association saying they don't want it to move? Outside of your dislike for Carl and your desire to paint him in a bad light...do you have ANYTHING from ANYONE coming out against the move? Would love to read about it more.
    And your counterpoint, that the students at the Aloma D. Johnson Charter do not come from the neighborhood is a weak supposition. Because of student privacy, those numbers are not going to be readily available (if they were available at all), however, I am sure that with significant work they could be procured.

    Humor me. Suppose I am right that the likelihood is that the charter school serves the present fruit belt community as a neighborhood school (as the name / location and partnership would imply). Would you then say there is an apparent contradiction in the platform that Paladino ran on suggesting that he was for "neighborhood schools" yet is content to move this school to his property that has been vacant now for over a year? Or are you willing to defend CP as long as you could make a point that was either anti-BTF, or anti-teacher or anti-BPS?

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,075
    In fact, less than 1400' away from the Aloma D. Johnson school is Futures Academy so the neighborhood already has a school. The point being that yes indeed the neighborhood has sufficient student population to support a school.

  15. #15
    Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    63,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
    Here's my solution based on the message board themes..

    Get the ten wealthiest "net taxpayers" in Buffalo (after all they all work hard for that wealth) and have a drawing and give one of them the $200M. Then that way they can grow their business and hire people. They're the job creators after all. Of course, everybody who is less wealthy than that can take a hike because they must not be smart enough to become the best (richest). If they hire their friends, so be it. If they sink the money into the derivatives market, even better because that way they can just come back for another $200M. After all, it will eventually trickle down to the children.

    Let's take a look at Paladino who runs on the "I'm for neighborhood schools" ticket, unless of course the rental of his property to a charter school is to his benefit. Then he can bus kids all the way around the city. Maybe he's doing it so that these poor children can be bussed through "nice" neighborhoods and that way they'll learn how to make their neighborhoods "nice".

    In fact, let's just give the money to Carl cause he'll do what's best for the kids.

    You did not answer my question. I gave two scenarios and would like to know which one you think would benefit the children the most...The money either goes to the school employees or the children.. No one else. If I wanted Carl involved in this adventure I would have included him.

    BUT you did bring up a point in my favor.....

    From the two scenarios I mentioned... 1) give it out as bonuses or 2) give it directly to the children, 2 is a job creator.

    Tutors could be hired that didn't have work before hand, businesses would grow selling educational items the kids may need, sales people might make some extra commission and pay down their debt, some people might be hired as security guards, the businesses that sell gardening supplies might get some unexpected orders, the little company that makes Flutophones might get an order and Chuck Norris might get some part time work. Didn't even think of the job creation angle.

    Now I would like you to tell me which of the two scenarios would benefit the children the most?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What does Alan mean with this comment?
    By WNYresident in forum Speakup Here
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 4th, 2012, 10:56 AM
  2. Alan's Ideas...
    By buffalopundit in forum Morning Breakfast - Breaking News
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: July 22nd, 2009, 01:34 PM
  3. Alan just arrived.....
    By WNYresident in forum Morning Breakfast - Breaking News
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: August 26th, 2008, 10:22 PM
  4. Alan Bedenko
    By WNYresident in forum Erie County Politics
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: August 23rd, 2007, 10:17 PM
  5. Why should Alan Hevesi resign ?
    By 4248 in forum Albany NY State budget Capital and Governor Andrew Cuomo
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 5th, 2006, 07:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •