Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rats, Rats and More Rats!

Rats, Rats and More Rats!

Anyone else in the Eggertsville area noticed that the rat population is increasingly out of control.

This year is exponentially worse than last.

They are everywhere!

The rat problem is not limited to Eggertsville alone. One must understand their habitat and purpose. Many have blamed a portion of the problem on the City of Buffalo's change to garbage totes which caused the rodents to migrate to other areas. Let's first give the City of Buffalo kudos in making this change. But without enforcement, this change will not mean much. This holds true if the T O A decides to do the same. Renters, homeowners, business people, etc. are our worse enemies if they do not follow the proper containment of waste materials. That being said, one major problem within the past 5 years has been the disturbance of existing infrastructures (sanitary/storm sewers) during large roadway projects (Main St., Sheridan Dr., Youngman, Rt.33, etc.) These projects dislodged the rodents from their habitat, that caused them to relocate to other areas. This is based on fact, not fiction by various experts in the field. Enforcement of containment laws as well as the "baiting" of the seriously effected areas should resolve most of the problems. Let it be known that if the courts do not take housing maintainence seriously, any enforcement would be moot at best.
    Last edited by forreason; September 11th, 2005 at 09:56 AM.

56 views and only one reply. Some graphic.
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Have you noticed in general how people put thier garbage out in same cases?

I remember when I lived on lovejoy people would physically have open paper bags of garbage out at the curb. Not inert garbage but food/pizza boxes. Then they would go and complain "did you see the size of that rat". When I say inert I mean paper, plastic and metal stuff that a rat wouldn't eat.

Instead of having the a town purchase large garbage cans for everyone wouldn't it be cheaper to have everyone just use lided garbage cans? You don't use them you get a fine?

Versus spending $1000's on new cans for everyone?

Gold Member
    Instead of having the a town purchase large garbage cans for everyone wouldn't it be cheaper to have everyone just use lided garbage cans?
    If a perfect world, yes, that would be a feasible solution. In reality, it'll do nothing to stop the rat problem. They eat right through the cans and lids, even of the toughest rubbermaid variety cans. So unless the general public can purchase cans of the strength of the city containers, this is not a realistic solution, unfortunately.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Ok smarty pants...

Metal cans... how's that...

Actually on lovejoy we had the same cans we have now and they were never eaten through. But then again they were cleaned often so I wonder if rats smell lysol versus old pizza they forage somewhere else.

Gold Member
    I'll give you that, metal cans would do the trick :-)

Once again, WNYRes comes up with the solution. You should be a politician!
    (EDIT: and I'm not saying that to be a smart-a**)

Many have blamed a portion of the problem on the City of Buffalo's change to garbage totes which caused the rodents to migrate to other areas. Let's first give the City of Buffalo kudos in making this change. But without enforcement, this change will not mean much.

The blue tote garbage system was the best decision the City of Buffalo has made in a very long time. Our streets are neater and don't smell on garbage days.

This is and has been enforced since day-one. With the issuing of some fines the blue tote has been a success for several years now. For us in Buffalo, the City said this is what you have to use (no exceptions - no excuses – no time to adjust to a new system) and the people began using them, effortlessly, I might add.

It's as simple as that. No discussion, no debate - just do it.

The only thing that is allowed outside of the blue tote is recycling items and yard wastes (tree limbs, leaves, etc - in clear bags or open boxes).

This holds true if the T O A decides to do the same. Renters, homeowners, business people, etc. are our worse enemies if they do not follow the proper containment of waste materials.

Think of how much the towns can make in fines right off the bat when people don’t follow through with using the totes like in the City of Buffalo. If it’s zero tolerance, then people will follow through, believe me, and if the people of Buffalo can cooperate so can everyone else.

I remember when I lived on lovejoy people would physically have open paper bags of garbage out at the curb. Not inert garbage but food/pizza boxes. Then they would go and complain "did you see the size of that rat". When I say inert I mean paper, plastic and metal stuff that a rat wouldn't eat.

Those days are over and have been for a long time now. The City is far different than when you lived here as a kid, and so is our garbage system.

Instead of having the a town purchase large garbage cans for everyone wouldn't it be cheaper to have everyone just use lided garbage cans? You don't use them you get a fine?

I always believed you were a person who is open to change.

The City of Buffalo has a garbage user fee, where the property owner pays in taxes for the new garbage system – every penny of our taxes went into the new totes all over the City. Everyone benefits from our own taxes. And we don’t have to use extra of our own money to purchase our own garbage totes from the store. We pay taxes to our City and our City gives back 100% - that is an example of good government, good investment and good improvement to the City in which we live.

I can testify to Buffalo not being perfect… but our garbage system is working that is why the suburban areas are fighting a rat battle now. No fault on the City for trying to better itself.

Oh, I loooove when you say “okay smarty pants” to someone… ( )

Metal cans are okay, but the whole town would have to enforce that policy so that everyone is using metal cans. Only one problem, lifting the cans vs. a truck that lifts the totes automatically, which saves on so much in compensation and workers out on disability.

Versus spending $1000's on new cans for everyone?

The City of Buffalo has a new garbage system that is saving over a million dollars each year in compensation and overtime. Spending a few thousand in (OUR) tax dollars to save a million-plus each year is a wise investment. It’s important to remember this, once the first payment of new trucks and new totes is done, that’s where it ends… there is no buying more new trucks and more new totes year after year. Thus spending a couple thousand in one shot pays for itself in the first year of operation. The only added cost thereafter in the maintenance of the trucks (which would have to be done anyways) and replacement totes (which is not very often).

The City’s totes take the place of 3 metal cans in capacity, and the totes are on wheel for easy moving. You may only have one can of garbage going out a week, but for a family of four or five, it’ll take more than just one small metal can.

And… if for any reason the totes breaks, all we have to do is call the City or one of our City representatives and a new tote is delivered without a replacement cost, and they will take the broken one away. I have had the same two blue totes for (something like) three years now and they are showing no signs of breaking apart. But if I were using store-bought garbage cans (and still paying taxes), I would have had to pay out of my own pocket to replace them because they would have worn out on the bottom from being dragged to the curb, or crack from the cold in the winter.

Our City totes have a flip-top lid that animals, not just rodents can’t get opened. The totes hardly ever can be tipped over by a stray dog or cat, and as much as a squirrel tries, it cannot scratch through the tote.

I am sorry, GeorgeB. With all I have posted, I have to disagree with you.

Metal cans would be a step backwards, now that the City of Buffalo has a state-of-the-art garbage collection system that gained National recognition. Many Cities are modeling itself after a system that began here in the City of Buffalo.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Some research

http://www.crittercan.com/

I saw the picture of the bear on the website above and all I could think about are the politicians trying to get into our pockets

http://www.bearsaver.com/

More of a selection of garbage cans.

http://www.theparkcatalog.com/items....=TR&wcw=google

These are interesting too

http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/pw/...t_control.html

http://www.scwc.org/Info/RATS1.htm

http://www.envstudies.brown.edu/thes...onclusions.htm

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Metal cans would be a step backwards, now that the City of Buffalo has a state-of-the-art garbage collection system that gained National recognition. Many Cities are modeling itself after a system that began here in the City of Buffalo.
    Only a step backwards in Buffalo because they have the blue totes. It would be a step forward for areas that don't have the blue totes.

Tony Fracasso - Admin

I am sorry, GeorgeB. With all I have posted, I have to disagree with you.
    Not to be a wise ass

You must be a democrate who believes the government is the answer to everything. If you want a strong nation you need strong people and strong communities. I dont really have an issue with totes or not, but people should be able to handle thier own issues.

Look at it this way. If totes truely save money with labor great but then look at if from the other side. The people who do pack thier garbage properly will have to bear the cost for the people who don't. Plus don't forget the government doesn't cover the cost of ANYTHING. We do. Where do you think the money comes from?

What I'd like to see is an order form on the net and let each person buy thier own tote. Totally cut out the "tote" department in government. I bet they have a commisioner of totes and a totes ware house commisioner and a tote delivery commissioner I'm just joking..

Anyone know the company where the buffalo totes came from? It would be interesting what they are charged for them and if the towns are going to institute them there's some money to be made. Hmm the "The Tony Tote" company.

there is another benefit to Buffalo's model of charging a fee, then having the govt buy the cans all at once: They could get a large volume discount that individual home owners would not have.

So where the homeowner would have to shell out say $75 on his own, maybe the city got a deal for $57 a piece since they had to order thousands at once. (just example numbers... not sure how much they cost)

Smile typing practice

Originally posted by Stevenco
    56 views and only one reply. Some graphic.
    Okay, 11 replies, that's better. Keep it going. This thread has more potential than you know. Don't be afraid to add your comments onto this thread. Don't just read it. Tell us what you feel about Buffalonian rats. They're okay once you get to know them.
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Re: typing practice

Originally posted by Stevenco
    Okay, 11 replies, that's better. Keep it going. This thread has more potential than you know. Don't be afraid to add your comments onto this thread. Don't just read it. Tell us what you feel about Buffalonian rats. They're okay once you get to know them.
    I dont think they are Buffalonain rats anymore. It's been a few years since the blue totes so I think the majority of rats are native to each town.

Below is something I found on the net. They seem to have a 2 to 3 year life cycle. So if totes in Buffalo were put into place over a few years ago they are probally town born. I wonder if you weighted the rats on average which town feeds them better. Funny i can picture the politicians fighting over what scraps we tax payers have like the rats do

The game of LIFE

A pregnant female will give birth approximately three weeks after
    being inseminated if she was in estrus at that moment.
    Rats can't see worth a darn, but their other senses, particuarly their
    senses of smell and hearing are a whole lot more sensitive than ours.
    Baby rats are born deaf and blind; their eyes don't open until about two
    weeks of age; but they can hear and smell well within their first week.
    They will continue to suckle (drink momma's milk) for several weeks; and
    are generally ready to leave home around the age of six weeks.
    Their brains are most receptive before 6 weeks; this is the time the
    breeder (or you, if it's your litter) should handle them frequently to get
    them accustomed to the way humans smell, sound, and feel.
    They should also remain with their little brothers and sisters until
    at least 6 weeks of age. Rats which are removed from their litter too
    soon frequently grow up to be snippy and fearful of humans.
    This will also occur if the person raising them does not handle them
    regularly beginning around a week after birth until 5 or 6 weeks of age.

Rats reach sexual maturity at about five weeks; but on occasion females have
    been known to become pregnant by older males at less than 4 weeks of age.

Your rats will grow very fast for several months, then slow down until six or so
    months. The males eventually reach a weight of about one to one-and-a-half
    pounds; the females are about 30% to 50% smaller - although there are exceptions.

The average life expectancy of a domestic pet rat is between 2 and 3 years.
    Some may live a little shorter period; while some have reached 4 years and
    beyond. Their environment plays a big role in how long they'll live.
    If they're treated well, given a big cage, some rat-mates, and a proper diet,
    they tend to reward you with a longer life.
    Fatty foods, cramped & filthy quarters, and lack of companionship
    can cut a rat's life literally in half.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    City mouse?

Do you know the manufacturer or the blue garbage totes? or if any buffalonian can look to see if there's a manufacturer name stamped on the Blue tote containers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information