Thread: School Uniforms Required In Buffalo Public School 80

School Uniforms Required In Buffalo Public School 80

Though students do not begin the new school year until next Wednesday, Public School 80 in Buffalo kicked its year off early with a ribbon-cutting ceremony Thursday morning.

The 75-year-old building is open after being closed for one year for major renovations, but that's not the only new thing students and staff face.

Public School 80 is the first in Buffalo to require uniforms.

"It's much easier, and it's less competition between children," said parent Deborah Dantzler.

The uniform requirement came about because of parents, according to Principal Will Keresztes. He said uniforms were worn on a voluntary basis in pre-K through fourth grades for the past five years, but are now mandatory for all grades, pre-K through eighth.

"Uniforms don't necessarily make the school," Keresztes said. "They don't necessarily do anything except enhance the good things you're already doing."

The uniforms consist of a maroon polo shirt for boys and girls. The younger girls wear them under a plaid jumper. In grades five through eight, students can wear the shirts with khakis or appropriate jeans.

Buffalo's new Superintendent, Dr. James Williams, attended the ceremony, which included a
    ribbon-cutting in honor of the renovations. Though he supports school uniforms, he said the decision is best left to individual schools.

"I would like all public schools to move to that, but I don't think it's appropriate for us to mandate it," Dr. Williams said. "There's no research out there stating that uniforms will increase the quality of education or student achievement, but what I think it will do is add a different culture to the school."

While some students would prefer to choose what they wear, others seemed excited about the uniforms.

"I like them because now I don't have to go to my closet and look. I just get my uniform," said seventh grader Raiel Lawrence. "It's okay to be fashionable, but some people go to school for the wrong reasons. Instead of going to school to get an education, they go to look at what everybody's wearing."

Thanks to a uniform fund, this year School 80 parents can buy the polo shirts for $5 and the girls' jumpers for $10.

During the ceremony, it was announced that Ciminelli Corp. donated $5,000 to the fund.

http://wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=31275

y2000
    I grew up in a Catholic school with madatory uniforms. I don't see a difference. There are always ways for the kids to adjust their appearance. The problem is discipline and respect. Kids need to know that the teachers are in charge.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Originally posted by y2000
    I grew up in a Catholic school with madatory uniforms. I don't see a difference. There are always ways for the kids to adjust their appearance. The problem is discipline and respect. Kids need to know that the teachers are in charge.
    Do you know when they were in charge!? when we gave them paddles! worked when I went to school....

Me too!
    The thing we did to be different was our sneakers. Converse, Addidas, and Pumas.

Discipline is the problem. Lack of it. Becuase teachers hands are tied. It is a shame. Parental involvement. Can't enforce it and can't teach it to those who don't care.

y2000
    Originally posted by LHardy

Me too!
    The thing we did to be different was our sneakers. Converse, Addidas, and Pumas.

Discipline is the problem. Lack of it. Becuase teachers hands are tied. It is a shame. Parental involvement. Can't enforce it and can't teach it to those who don't care.
    Lucky you we had specific shoes to wear. It was the ugly tie I hated.

I agree there are too many parents that don't raise thir own kids. They let society do it for them and complain when their kid is in trouble. The "not my Kid" people drive me nuts.

Thread Information