Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lancaster-Depew Baseball League gets green light

Lancaster-Depew Baseball League gets green light

Lancaster-Depew Baseball League gets green light

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs...130509443/1149

The Buffalo News report on the four approved resolutions that give the green light for the Lancaster-Depew Baseball League (LDBL) to construct an indoor baseball facility was well done. Restricted by content, some news gets left out.

The writer directed his initial comments to council member Ron Ruffino. Ruffino sponsored three of the four resolutions.

Chowaniec: Mr. Ruffino, as Parks and Recreation committee Chair this project is in your wheelhouse and therefore I will address the few remaining concerns I have on the project. You must have attended numerous committee meetings with the LDBL and met with attorney Jeff Swiatek on several occasions and quite knowledgeable on what’s being proposed tonight?

Ruffino: No, we let the attorneys handle that.

Chowaniec: I ask that because the town is looking at bonding $1.7 million for this project and people I speak with have reservations on the project agreement and the risks involved. I don’t have such reservations. I am a supporter of the project. However, there are other areas of concern that remain unclear and where I need further information. This is my town and I want to see Lancaster kids and residents get a fair shot!

Westwood Park, where the facility is to be built in, is a resident town park.

Some of the concerns and questions I have are:

• If you want to obtain a shelter you have to be a Lancaster resident to get a permit. Is that correct?

• What hasn’t been made clear is whether the facility operation will be dedicated for primary use by the LDBL players and town residents?

• Will leagues/individuals from other municipalities be able to book usage in advance and take time away from Lancaster kids and residents?

• I was told at a previous meeting by LDBL reps that a $150 membership fee was required for use of the facility. I am still unsure as to who that fee was directed at.

• When outside teams come in to use the facility concerns have been raised about the increased traffic, speeding and misuse of the environment. How will such concerns be addressed?

Responses

• Supervisor Fudoli: Asked Parks and Recreation Director Terry McCracken whether the town would enforce the same standards as applied to the Pavilion where you have to be a Lancaster resident?

McCracken: Westwood Park was paid for with grants and as such you can’t keep residents from other municipalities out. But we can dedicate LDBL facility use time to Lancaster residents.

LDBL directors Paul Gumbo and Dave Mansell explained:

• There is language in the agreement that dedicates primary use of the facility to LDBL teams – without membership and associated fees.

• Only upon availability wll time slots be filled by outside teams and memberships.

So, the sponsor of the project was clueless?

Georgia L Schlager

I didn't realize that Westwood Park was funded by grant money. Terry McCracken is correct, anytime you use grant money it is open to the public and neighboring towns.

Personally IMO the "chairs" of committees/departments should somehow be more informative when comes to "sponsoring" these pre-filed resolutions. When the public taxpayers ask a question, these "sponsors" should be able to answer the question. Otherwise, they are considered "rubber stamping" the project which we need to change when the next administration takes control of the board.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    You mean they are approving these projects while not really knowing the details?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    You mean they are approving these projects while not really knowing the details?
    How can you possibly come up with that conclusion? Because of the Ruffino response? He may not have been involved in mch of the proceedings but supervisor Fudoli and Councilman Aquino were intensely involved with the project since it was proposed a year ago - regarding risk evaluation, facility dedication to town kids and residents, in agreement negotiations and requesting the Lancaster-Depew Baseball League make a detailed presentaion regarding debt payment confirmation, facility operation and sponsorship.

The town board unanimously approved this project. If it turns out to be a failure, financially or otherwise, the town should be held accontable. Until then...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    How can you possibly come up with that conclusion? Because of the Ruffino response? He may not have been involved in mch of the proceedings but supervisor Fudoli and Councilman Aquino were intensely involved with the project since it was proposed a year ago - regarding risk evaluation, facility dedication to town kids and residents, in agreement negotiations and requesting the Lancaster-Depew Baseball League make a detailed presentaion regarding debt payment confirmation, facility operation and sponsorship.

The town board unanimously approved this project. If it turns out to be a failure, financially or otherwise, the town should be held accontable. Until then...
    Lee sounds like Ron is running for office? Its' a great project and don't forget that I'm the one that got it! On election day, and before he will be telling everything, and everyone that he DID IT! Just hope the taxpayers remember the coldcraft Building and that Ronny was the Man on point on that project and OVER a million dollars of taxpayers wasted. Hope the Republicans don't lose the problems Ronny has done over the years with Giza and Donna.Stemp.

hawkeye, I'm confused by your post. Can you please elaborate a bit for me. Are you talking about Ron Giza running for office? Are you stating that Ron Giza then is going to primary against Mr. Ruffino & Mr. Abraham?

I wonder how different County Legislator / Lancaster Parks Boss / Party Controller T.McCracken's and Council-member "Clocks" Ruffino's re-election material will describe their "actions" in acquiring this facility for our youth. Will they stress all the hard work they did - all their personal "Hours spent" putting this together ?

Also, this part should raise eyebrows - County Leg/Parks Boss/Party Controller McCracken stated: "Westwood Park was paid for with grants and as such you can’t keep residents from other municipalities out. But we can dedicate LDBL facility use time to Lancaster residents.

• There is language in the agreement that dedicates primary use of the facility to LDBL teams – without membership and associated fees. So - if your a Lancaster resident/s and you want to use the fascility - if your not on a LDBL team - how can we use the fascility ?

Yet , when asked for his input here what we see:

"Chowaniec: Mr. Ruffino, as Parks and Recreation committee Chair this project is in your wheelhouse and therefore I will address the few remaining concerns I have on the project. You must have attended numerous committee meetings with the LDBL and met with attorney Jeff Swiatek on several occasions and quite knowledgeable on what’s being proposed tonight?

Council-member Ruffino answered: "No, we let the attorneys handle that."

Chowaniec: I ask that because the town is looking at bonding $1.7 million for this project and people I speak with have reservations on the project agreement and the risks involved. I don’t have such reservations. I am a supporter of the project. However, there are other areas of concern that remain unclear and where I need further information. This is my town and I want to see Lancaster kids and residents get a fair shot!

Westwood Park, where the facility is to be built in, is a resident town park.

Some of the concerns and questions I have are:

• If you want to obtain a shelter you have to be a Lancaster resident to get a permit. Is that correct?

• What hasn’t been made clear is whether the facility operation will be dedicated for primary use by the LDBL players and town residents?

• Will leagues/individuals from other municipalities be able to book usage in advance and take time away from Lancaster kids and residents?

• I was told at a previous meeting by LDBL reps that a $150 membership fee was required for use of the facility. I am still unsure as to who that fee was directed at.

• When outside teams come in to use the facility concerns have been raised about the increased traffic, speeding and misuse of the environment. How will such concerns be addressed?

Responses

• Supervisor Fudoli: Asked Parks and Recreation Director Terry McCracken whether the town would enforce the same standards as applied to the Pavilion where you have to be a Lancaster resident?

McCracken: Westwood Park was paid for with grants and as such you can’t keep residents from other municipalities out. But we can dedicate LDBL facility use time to Lancaster residents.

• There is language in the agreement that dedicates primary use of the facility to LDBL teams – without membership and associated fees.• Only upon availability will time slots be filled by outside teams and memberships.[/QUOTE]
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    hawkeye, I'm confused by your post. Can you please elaborate a bit for me. Are you talking about Ron Giza running for office? Are you stating that Ron Giza then is going to primary against Mr. Ruffino & Mr. Abraham?
    Shorty I tell everyone that Ronnie Ruffino is the man that will take credit for everything done in Lancaster for the last 100 years that was for the kids, Ronnie is the MAN and just ask Miss Donna

Oh hawkeye, I understand now you were referring to Mr Ron Ruffino not Mr. Ron Giza. (Time will tell LOL)

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

Lee. How old are you again? Haven't you noticed there have been loads of projects all over Erie County that once you look over them you realised they weren't thought through?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Lee. How old are you again? Haven't you noticed there have been loads of projects all over Erie County that once you look over them you realised they weren't thought through?
    Too old, but not too feeble minded or incapacitated to not recognize this is as a projects that was well thought out.

Baseball facility gets town site plan approval

The Town Board approved the site plan submitted by Herbert K. Guenther, AIA, NCARB on behalf of the Town of Lancaster, dated April 1, 2013 and received April 3, 2013 for the proposed construction of 16,200 Sq. Ft. Indoor Baseball Training Facility with associated parking area and appropriate utilities and fixtures located within Westwood Town Park, in the Town of Lancaster.

The planning board had recommended to the town board the approval of the site plan and an earlier environmental review (SEQR) found there were no potential significant adverse impacts associated with the project.

The Lancaster-Depew Baseball League is hoping the project will be completed this year.

Mark my words everyone, this will have a similar result as the "coldcraft" debacle. Prepare to foot the bill for this facility in the long run. There is no way a non-profit can sustain the type of finances involved in a project like this in the long-term. Too many other similar entities in the immediate Lancaster area competing for the same fundraising efforts (private schools, Jr. Redskins, Ponytails, Saints Hockey, boys/girls clubs, churches, etc.)

Cool Contributors give Lancaster a new facility !

First off lets thank all the "Contributors" :
    1. Lancaster's Home owning taxpayers.
    1. Committed Donors.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________

What about "Naming Rights" :

Keysa got a Park.

Councilman Ruffino got "CLOCKS"

Will this possibly be "Stempniak's Memorial Cages"

One thing these have in common - they are "Political" ventures supported by "Tax Payers"
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________

The soccer fields will have to wait until one of the above runs for higher office - Sorry Soccer Moms !
    Last edited by 4248; May 23rd, 2013 at 12:10 PM.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information