Lancaster-Depew Baseball League gets green light

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs...130509443/1149

The Buffalo News report on the four approved resolutions that give the green light for the Lancaster-Depew Baseball League (LDBL) to construct an indoor baseball facility was well done. Restricted by content, some news gets left out.

The writer directed his initial comments to council member Ron Ruffino. Ruffino sponsored three of the four resolutions.

Chowaniec: Mr. Ruffino, as Parks and Recreation committee Chair this project is in your wheelhouse and therefore I will address the few remaining concerns I have on the project. You must have attended numerous committee meetings with the LDBL and met with attorney Jeff Swiatek on several occasions and quite knowledgeable on what’s being proposed tonight?

Ruffino: No, we let the attorneys handle that.

Chowaniec: I ask that because the town is looking at bonding $1.7 million for this project and people I speak with have reservations on the project agreement and the risks involved. I don’t have such reservations. I am a supporter of the project. However, there are other areas of concern that remain unclear and where I need further information. This is my town and I want to see Lancaster kids and residents get a fair shot!

Westwood Park, where the facility is to be built in, is a resident town park.

Some of the concerns and questions I have are:

• If you want to obtain a shelter you have to be a Lancaster resident to get a permit. Is that correct?

• What hasn’t been made clear is whether the facility operation will be dedicated for primary use by the LDBL players and town residents?

• Will leagues/individuals from other municipalities be able to book usage in advance and take time away from Lancaster kids and residents?

• I was told at a previous meeting by LDBL reps that a $150 membership fee was required for use of the facility. I am still unsure as to who that fee was directed at.

• When outside teams come in to use the facility concerns have been raised about the increased traffic, speeding and misuse of the environment. How will such concerns be addressed?

Responses

• Supervisor Fudoli: Asked Parks and Recreation Director Terry McCracken whether the town would enforce the same standards as applied to the Pavilion where you have to be a Lancaster resident?

McCracken: Westwood Park was paid for with grants and as such you can’t keep residents from other municipalities out. But we can dedicate LDBL facility use time to Lancaster residents.

LDBL directors Paul Gumbo and Dave Mansell explained:

• There is language in the agreement that dedicates primary use of the facility to LDBL teams – without membership and associated fees.

• Only upon availability wll time slots be filled by outside teams and memberships.