Thread: Lancaster-Depew Baseball League gets green light

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lancaster-Depew Baseball League gets green light

Lancaster-Depew Baseball League gets green light

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs...130509443/1149

The Buffalo News report on the four approved resolutions that give the green light for the Lancaster-Depew Baseball League (LDBL) to construct an indoor baseball facility was well done. Restricted by content, some news gets left out.

The writer directed his initial comments to council member Ron Ruffino. Ruffino sponsored three of the four resolutions.

Chowaniec: Mr. Ruffino, as Parks and Recreation committee Chair this project is in your wheelhouse and therefore I will address the few remaining concerns I have on the project. You must have attended numerous committee meetings with the LDBL and met with attorney Jeff Swiatek on several occasions and quite knowledgeable on what’s being proposed tonight?

Ruffino: No, we let the attorneys handle that.

Chowaniec: I ask that because the town is looking at bonding $1.7 million for this project and people I speak with have reservations on the project agreement and the risks involved. I don’t have such reservations. I am a supporter of the project. However, there are other areas of concern that remain unclear and where I need further information. This is my town and I want to see Lancaster kids and residents get a fair shot!

Westwood Park, where the facility is to be built in, is a resident town park.

Some of the concerns and questions I have are:

• If you want to obtain a shelter you have to be a Lancaster resident to get a permit. Is that correct?

• What hasn’t been made clear is whether the facility operation will be dedicated for primary use by the LDBL players and town residents?

• Will leagues/individuals from other municipalities be able to book usage in advance and take time away from Lancaster kids and residents?

• I was told at a previous meeting by LDBL reps that a $150 membership fee was required for use of the facility. I am still unsure as to who that fee was directed at.

• When outside teams come in to use the facility concerns have been raised about the increased traffic, speeding and misuse of the environment. How will such concerns be addressed?

Responses

• Supervisor Fudoli: Asked Parks and Recreation Director Terry McCracken whether the town would enforce the same standards as applied to the Pavilion where you have to be a Lancaster resident?

McCracken: Westwood Park was paid for with grants and as such you can’t keep residents from other municipalities out. But we can dedicate LDBL facility use time to Lancaster residents.

LDBL directors Paul Gumbo and Dave Mansell explained:

• There is language in the agreement that dedicates primary use of the facility to LDBL teams – without membership and associated fees.

• Only upon availability wll time slots be filled by outside teams and memberships.

So, the sponsor of the project was clueless?

Georgia L Schlager

I didn't realize that Westwood Park was funded by grant money. Terry McCracken is correct, anytime you use grant money it is open to the public and neighboring towns.

Personally IMO the "chairs" of committees/departments should somehow be more informative when comes to "sponsoring" these pre-filed resolutions. When the public taxpayers ask a question, these "sponsors" should be able to answer the question. Otherwise, they are considered "rubber stamping" the project which we need to change when the next administration takes control of the board.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    You mean they are approving these projects while not really knowing the details?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    You mean they are approving these projects while not really knowing the details?
    How can you possibly come up with that conclusion? Because of the Ruffino response? He may not have been involved in mch of the proceedings but supervisor Fudoli and Councilman Aquino were intensely involved with the project since it was proposed a year ago - regarding risk evaluation, facility dedication to town kids and residents, in agreement negotiations and requesting the Lancaster-Depew Baseball League make a detailed presentaion regarding debt payment confirmation, facility operation and sponsorship.

The town board unanimously approved this project. If it turns out to be a failure, financially or otherwise, the town should be held accontable. Until then...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    How can you possibly come up with that conclusion? Because of the Ruffino response? He may not have been involved in mch of the proceedings but supervisor Fudoli and Councilman Aquino were intensely involved with the project since it was proposed a year ago - regarding risk evaluation, facility dedication to town kids and residents, in agreement negotiations and requesting the Lancaster-Depew Baseball League make a detailed presentaion regarding debt payment confirmation, facility operation and sponsorship.

The town board unanimously approved this project. If it turns out to be a failure, financially or otherwise, the town should be held accontable. Until then...
    Lee sounds like Ron is running for office? Its' a great project and don't forget that I'm the one that got it! On election day, and before he will be telling everything, and everyone that he DID IT! Just hope the taxpayers remember the coldcraft Building and that Ronny was the Man on point on that project and OVER a million dollars of taxpayers wasted. Hope the Republicans don't lose the problems Ronny has done over the years with Giza and Donna.Stemp.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

Lee. How old are you again? Haven't you noticed there have been loads of projects all over Erie County that once you look over them you realised they weren't thought through?

Lightbulb

Why - why can't people see the end result ?

Taxes keep rising - education costs grow - where and when does it level off ?

Families work more hours but earn less "Spendable" income.

The adults aren't around to interact as much as they'd like - because they put many hours at work.

We all know NY State is stumbling - yet it seems the mantra is always spend more tax dollars = higher taxes.

It would be great to have everything to occupy everyone - yes we have Baseball Players, Soccer players skaters - and on and on. - Where do they play now ? How have so many been involved if there is truly no place for them to participate ?

It would be great to have everything our families want - right outside our door. Then like our pets - we could open the door - let them do what they need to do and come back in the house.

Soon the influx of building will slow to a crawl - home owners taxes will continue to rise.

Whats the fastest way to get large blocks of votes - - - pander to Special Interest Groups.

When some youth cant afford to participate in costly sports or choose not to - they gather at a game store and the vocal minority want to restrict them ?

Developers make millions off building in Lancaster - why don't they help build these facilities ?

Over the years they have pledged "Recreation Areas" - walkable inter connected subdivisions - "Park like Areas" - all in return for favored building permits.

The Town Controllers keep supporting developers needs - now they go to these "Special Interest Groups" - get appointed to there Boards - BINGO !

Last point - for over 20 years many residents asked for "Planning" - a little fore-site. Infra structure upgrades to handle the crush of development.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    What on going maintenance cost will there be associated with the skate park? Will heat/air-conditioning and utilities be needed? Plowing in the winter? Who can be sued if a child wants to video tape themselves skating and accidentally knocks all their teeth out? Will there be some type of insurance to cover that or would the town absorb the cost? Compared the the indoor baseball facility

I wonder how different County Legislator / Lancaster Parks Boss / Party Controller T.McCracken's and Council-member "Clocks" Ruffino's re-election material will describe their "actions" in acquiring this facility for our youth. Will they stress all the hard work they did - all their personal "Hours spent" putting this together ?

Also, this part should raise eyebrows - County Leg/Parks Boss/Party Controller McCracken stated: "Westwood Park was paid for with grants and as such you can’t keep residents from other municipalities out. But we can dedicate LDBL facility use time to Lancaster residents.

• There is language in the agreement that dedicates primary use of the facility to LDBL teams – without membership and associated fees. So - if your a Lancaster resident/s and you want to use the fascility - if your not on a LDBL team - how can we use the fascility ?

Yet , when asked for his input here what we see:

"Chowaniec: Mr. Ruffino, as Parks and Recreation committee Chair this project is in your wheelhouse and therefore I will address the few remaining concerns I have on the project. You must have attended numerous committee meetings with the LDBL and met with attorney Jeff Swiatek on several occasions and quite knowledgeable on what’s being proposed tonight?

Council-member Ruffino answered: "No, we let the attorneys handle that."

Chowaniec: I ask that because the town is looking at bonding $1.7 million for this project and people I speak with have reservations on the project agreement and the risks involved. I don’t have such reservations. I am a supporter of the project. However, there are other areas of concern that remain unclear and where I need further information. This is my town and I want to see Lancaster kids and residents get a fair shot!

Westwood Park, where the facility is to be built in, is a resident town park.

Some of the concerns and questions I have are:

• If you want to obtain a shelter you have to be a Lancaster resident to get a permit. Is that correct?

• What hasn’t been made clear is whether the facility operation will be dedicated for primary use by the LDBL players and town residents?

• Will leagues/individuals from other municipalities be able to book usage in advance and take time away from Lancaster kids and residents?

• I was told at a previous meeting by LDBL reps that a $150 membership fee was required for use of the facility. I am still unsure as to who that fee was directed at.

• When outside teams come in to use the facility concerns have been raised about the increased traffic, speeding and misuse of the environment. How will such concerns be addressed?

Responses

• Supervisor Fudoli: Asked Parks and Recreation Director Terry McCracken whether the town would enforce the same standards as applied to the Pavilion where you have to be a Lancaster resident?

McCracken: Westwood Park was paid for with grants and as such you can’t keep residents from other municipalities out. But we can dedicate LDBL facility use time to Lancaster residents.

• There is language in the agreement that dedicates primary use of the facility to LDBL teams – without membership and associated fees.• Only upon availability will time slots be filled by outside teams and memberships.[/QUOTE]

Cool Contributors give Lancaster a new facility !

First off lets thank all the "Contributors" :
    1. Lancaster's Home owning taxpayers.
    1. Committed Donors.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________

What about "Naming Rights" :

Keysa got a Park.

Councilman Ruffino got "CLOCKS"

Will this possibly be "Stempniak's Memorial Cages"

One thing these have in common - they are "Political" ventures supported by "Tax Payers"
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________

The soccer fields will have to wait until one of the above runs for higher office - Sorry Soccer Moms !
    Last edited by 4248; May 23rd, 2013 at 12:10 PM.

This project should have been killed before it even got to the drawing board.

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    This project should have been killed before it even got to the drawing board.
    While we differ in opinion on this project, I also respect your opinion and have to ask your thoughts on the skate park that is to be located at Keysa Park in the Village of Lancaster.

The project sponsors were at the Town of Lancaster Town Board work session Monday and presented their project declaring they had fundraised $188,000 and were in the process of contracting California Skate Parks to construct the facility. They presented the skate park design and seemed quite confident that the town board would give them their approval. Yet they were not given the green light and appeared very disappointed.

Although the town board members expressed risk concerns on the baseball facility, they never appeared to waiver in their belief that this project was a go from the beginning. What caused the town board's delay in moving forward? What do you think of this project? And considering the town is seriously working with the succor league to provide a field for their avenue, why shouldn't all of these projects be considered in having value in providing a venue where kids are in a social atmosphere that keeps them off the streets and away from those that can have an opportunity to lead them astray?
    In their formative years these kids have a lot of energy that need a positive outlet. What can be more positive than having sports as that outlet, adult supervision and where team values are featured?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    How much does the Lancaster tax payer have to borrow for the skate park besides spending the $188,000 to building the skate park?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    How much does the Lancaster tax payer have to borrow for the skate park besides spending the $188,000 to building the skate park?
    Isn't the skatepark like the Pony Tails situation in that the taxpayers are NOT bonding the funds to create it?

Georgia L Schlager

Thread Information