Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rezone appointment draws residents’ ire

Rezone appointment draws residents’ ire

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs...130219086/1149

What was not reported by the Buffalo News, and what was most disconcerting to the public attending last night’s town board meeting, was to hear Councilman Mark Aquino declare that as a former member of the zoning board of appeals and as a former attorney serving the zoning board qualifications and government experience don’t matter as “this is not rocket science.”

“All you need is to be level headed, be able to read, have common sense and assert the standards,” declared Aquino.

The controversy began when the writer asked whether the position vacated in the first week of January was every posted to allow the public the opportunity to apply for the position. It was not posted. The writer then went to declare that he had addressed the board in January and requested they consider posting all positions that become vacant or up for reappointment to allow for the town to receive/review/approve applicants with best qualifications. Stating that in his opinion Dan Beutler best filled the current vacated position because of his previous serving on the Depew Planning Board, his attending town board meetings religiously, and his activism in holding the town board accountable, he was the better candidate of the two applicants and it was disturbing to hear that he was never interviewed for the position and never contacted as to why he was denied the position.

Don Symer echoed Chowaniec’s position on Beutler’s qualifications and integrity. “He not only served on a planning board but was a school board member as well. As a fellow Democrat I have found Mr. Beutler a man of integrity, acting always in the best interest of the community and am disappointed in his not being considered for a position I believe has more importance than what some assert. It is the last local resource for appeal before one goes to the Supreme Court.”

Tom Kazmierczak voiced his displeasure with the appointment and remarked that he believed this to be another patronage political move by the four Democrats on the board.

In addressing the board Mike Fronczak also expressed disappointment over the appointment, the process used to make the appointment and asked if Beutler was ever interviewed; and if not, why not? “I don’t think this resolution should go tonight. It should be tabled and the position posted. As a taxpayer I feel cheated here that I am not getting the most qualified person for the position.”

Aquino replied that he knew both Beutler and Jill Monacelli and that Fronczak will be well satisfied with her appointment. “There is something to be said about someone that has not served on a board. A person might be overqualified or have too much experience. You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. You can’t say on the one hand that we are not opening the process up and then say we should get the most experienced person. Ms. Monacelli is more than qualified for the position.” Fronczak shot back that it was his opinion that the most qualified and experienced person was not chosen"

Supervisor Fudoli suggested that in the future a resolution be approved that such open positions be posted on the town web site for public awareness and the opportunity to apply for the position. Such process would take the politics out of the process and ensure qualified candidates were serving in the best interest of the town. Councilman Aquino declared that he had no problem with listing all the positions on the website and their term of expiration.

Carmen Hangauer supported the suggestion of opening up the process to allow the public an opportunity to apply for appointed positions and to get the most qualified person. Hangauer disagreed with Aquino’s declaration that serving on the zoning board was not rocket science. Aquino responded that it was an appeal board where someone goes to get relief for something that is outside the code. “A board member is bound by standard, five standards. You look at the standards and it becomes a balancing act. Someone with reasonableness and common sense can determine whether the applicant can get the zoning board to grant an appeal.” Hangauer disagreed stating that appeals can become complicated and Beutler is more qualified for the position.

Dave Hangauer commented that he did appear before a zoning board of appeals on the airport and did find that hearing to be very complex, requiring more skills than just coming to a simple determination. Aquino responded that was the reason there was an attorney on the board to give legal counsel and direction. Councilman John Abraham agreed with Aquino stating he served on the zoning board and found that members did seek advice from the attorney when needed. “Like he (Aquino) says, you go out there and talk to people and do whatever. I did not fall apart but I did bring a different perspective from someone who is an attorney. I looked at things more differently than what board member Bob Thill did. I was a little bit more simplistic where he was more thorough.” Abraham went on to imply that qualifications are not that important when you have people on the board to help guide you and to come to a good determination.

Dan Beutler spoke and thanked Aquino for saying he was qualified for the position and wished the new appointee well in her endeavor. He did voice that he was disappointed that he was never once contacted by the board for an interview or that he was denied the position. “You could have called.”

Herm Hoff addressed the board and stated that there was a difference in meeting minimum qualifications and being the best candidate. The latter (Beutler) did meet the criteria.”

Fudoli/Aquino confrontation

During the public comments Supervisor Dino Fudoli agreed that in his mind due process was not served. After several residents commented/complained that the position opening was not posted and that the most qualified candidate was not chosen, it was Fronczak that asked how the process worked in choosing Monacelli.

Council Member Donna Stempniak voiced that every town board member has the right to submit a resolution. She added that every town board member also had a vote on approving the resolution.

It was here when Supervisor Fudoli interjected that like the residents he had a problem with the process. He read the e-mail that he sent the four Democrats several weeks ago and where he received no response. “I would like to recommend that any vacancy on the town board or other be posted on the town web site when the vacancy occurs. This will allow for residents who qualify to apply for the open position. As a vacancy currently exists on the Zoning Board of Appeals, I ask you not fill this position for approximately 30 days to allow for communication to take place between our board members in addressing this matter. Please let me know your thoughts on adopting a policy to fill positions on boards and committees wherever a vacancy may occur.”

“Again, I received no reply,” Fudoli remarked.

When Council Member Ron Ruffino interjected that it was getting late in the year and this appointment was only to fill a vacancy until the end of the year, Fudoli countered that that had nothing to do with his sending out an e-mail several weeks ago and getting no response from any board member.

This is when Aquino interjected and declared that the zoning board position was not rocket science, that it was not a matter of qualifications. “If a person can read and has common sense, he or she can serve on the zoning board.”

Fudoli responded that he was not making a case for Beutler’s appointment but saying he agreed with the public that having served on planning and school boards did have serious merit. “However, I am not here defending his position. I am defending my position as saying why don’t we open up the process. Instead of doing political appointments, why don’t we do qualified appointments, and start asking the public to send in resumes. I don’t see a problem in passing an ordinance requiring some kind of posting a vacancy position so that we can improve the quality of our boards.

Aquino: You made the point that the person is not qualified.

Fudoli: No, I made the point that one candidate was more qualified than the other.

Aquino: That’s your position in claiming that because a person served on a planning board he is more qualified.

Fudoli: I didn’t say that. I said the one was more experienced.

Aquino: We have the right to review and make the selection.

Fudoli: You certainly do. But, I also ask you guys don’t write letters accusing me of not sharing information. I asked for a response and got none.

After the meeting, several residents commented that it was quite obvious that the four Democrats did not want this fellow Democrat (Beutler) to serve on the Zoning Board of Appeals.

It seems if one follows Mr. Aquino's reasoning then one really only needs an attorney to make determinations for the ZBA---no need for committee members. He seems to be implying that the attorney will provide guidance as to how to vote, and especially in complex cases like the airport zoning issue, the committee members will just need to rubber stamp the attorney's recommendation. So to serve on the ZBA one only needs to be able to take the attorney's advice and vote accordingly without really needing to understand the issues well enough to make one's own determinations. This sounds like when one of the LIDA members stated that they were only a "rubber stamp" while serving on the LIDA. Putting individuals on these boards that can't fully understand the issues, and don't think for themselves, is where some very foolish, and politically driven, outcomes can result. Lancaster really needs to clean up its act in opening up the process to get the best people to serve, not the most politically connected....

[SIZE=5]www.dos.ny.gov/LG/publications/Zoning_Enforcement.pdf page 1 Legislative Body ... The Town Board plays a major role in zoning administration and enforcement. It appoints members of the Planning Board, the Zoning Commission, the Zoning Board of Appeals and the Zoning Enforcement Officer ...

Does the Town have an obligation to post the vacancy? I can't see where they have to. Could they have?

I feel sorry for Ms.Monacelli and Mr. Beutler that the importance of this position is being so belittled.
    [/SIZE]

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    In addressing the board Mike Fronczak also expressed disappointment over the appointment, the process used to make the appointment and asked if Beutler was ever interviewed; and if not, why not? “I don’t think this resolution should go tonight. It should be tabled and the position posted. As a taxpayer I feel cheated here that I am not getting the most qualified person for the position.”

Aquino replied that he knew both Beutler and Jill Monacelli and that Fronczak will be well satisfied with her appointment. “There is something to be said about someone that has not served on a board. A person might be overqualified or have too much experience. You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. You can’t say on the one hand that we are not opening the process up and then say we should get the most experienced person. Ms. Monacelli is more than qualified for the position.” Fronczak shot back that it was his opinion that the most qualified and experienced person was not chosen"
    Politics 101

Who's interest is the board supposed to represent? Fronczak's or the entire best interest of the town?

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    [SIZE=5]www.dos.ny.gov/LG/publications/Zoning_Enforcement.pdf page 1 Legislative Body ... The Town Board plays a major role in zoning administration and enforcement. It appoints members of the Planning Board, the Zoning Commission, the Zoning Board of Appeals and the Zoning Enforcement Officer ...

Does the Town have an obligation to post the vacancy? I can't see where they have to. Could they have?

I feel sorry for Ms.Monacelli and Mr. Beutler that the importance of this position is being so belittled.
    [/SIZE]
    As I continue the quote from the publication on Zoning Enforcement:
    {The legislative body must approve by-laws, rules & regulations that govern these boards & officals as well as any procedures to be used in administering the law.} In my opinion, that tells me that the board (tb) who is our governing body can make the necessary changes or reform the process.

As I continue to quote:
    {Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) the basic powers of the ZBA fall into 2 areas: 1.. original jurisdiction 2. Appellate jurisdiction (10)
    Appellate (or appeals) jurisdiction allows an "aggrieved parties" to bring an appeal of a decision of the ZEO to the ZBA for review. There are two types of appeals, an appeal seeking an interpretation of the zoning law & an appeal seeking zoning variance. The Planning board has an advisory role & must be aware of community needs & goals. Effective zoning enforcement prevents or corrects violations of the zoning law & therefore effectuates zoning basic purposes: to protect the general health, safety and welfare of the citizens of the municipality.} In my interpretation of the law, it dignifies one premise in my mind, we need qualifed and capable applicants applying for these seats. I would think that someone who just has common sense is not sufficient enough to act/facilitate important decisions that shape our town.

I disagree with Irish Rose, this position is not belittled by its importance. What is imperative is that the voice of the citizens have the freedom to express themselves, not to allow freedom of speech is belittling Rose.
    Last edited by shortstuff; February 20th, 2013 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs...130219086/1149

What was not reported by the Buffalo News, and what was most disconcerting to the public attending last night’s town board meeting, was to hear Councilman Mark Aquino declare that as a former member of the zoning board of appeals and as a former attorney serving the zoning board qualifications and government experience don’t matter as “this is not rocket science.”

“All you need is to be level headed, be able to read, have common sense and assert the standards,” declared Aquino.

The controversy began when the writer asked whether the position vacated in the first week of January was every posted to allow the public the opportunity to apply for the position. It was not posted. The writer then went to declare that he had addressed the board in January and requested they consider posting all positions that become vacant or up for reappointment to allow for the town to receive/review/approve applicants with best qualifications. Stating that in his opinion Dan Beutler best filled the current vacated position because of his previous serving on the Depew Planning Board, his attending town board meetings religiously, and his activism in holding the town board accountable, he was the better candidate of the two applicants and it was disturbing to hear that he was never interviewed for the position and never contacted as to why he was denied the position.

Don Symer echoed Chowaniec’s position on Beutler’s qualifications and integrity. “He not only served on a planning board but was a school board member as well. As a fellow Democrat I have found Mr. Beutler a man of integrity, acting always in the best interest of the community and am disappointed in his not being considered for a position I believe has more importance than what some assert. It is the last local resource for appeal before one goes to the Supreme Court.”

Tom Kazmierczak voiced his displeasure with the appointment and remarked that he believed this to be another patronage political move by the four Democrats on the board.

Supervisor Fudoli suggested that in the future a resolution be approved that such open positions be posted on the town web site for public awareness and the opportunity to apply for the position. Such process would take the politics out of the process and ensure qualified candidates were serving in the best interest of the town. Councilman Aquino declared that he had no problem with listing all the positions on the website and their term of expiration.

Carmen Hangauer supported the suggestion of opening up the process to allow the public an opportunity to apply for appointed positions and to get the most qualified person. Hangauer disagreed with Aquino’s declaration that serving on the zoning board was not rocket science. Aquino responded that it was an appeal board where someone goes to get relief for something that is outside the code. “A board member is bound by standard, five standards. You look at the standards and it becomes a balancing act. Someone with reasonableness and common sense can determine whether the applicant can get the zoning board to grant an appeal.” Hangauer disagreed stating that appeals can become complicated and Beutler is more qualified for the position.

Dave Hangauer commented that he did appear before a zoning board of appeals on the airport and did find that hearing to be very complex, requiring more skills than just coming to a simple determination. Aquino responded that was the reason there was an attorney on the board to give legal counsel and direction. Councilman John Abraham agreed with Aquino stating he served on the zoning board and found that members did seek advice from the attorney when needed. “Like he (Aquino) says, you go out there and talk to people and do whatever. I did not fall apart but I did bring a different perspective from someone who is an attorney. I looked at things more differently than what board member Bob Thill did. I was a little bit more simplistic where he was more thorough.” Abraham went on to imply that qualifications are not that important when you have people on the board to help guide you and to come to a good determination.

Dan Beutler spoke and thanked Aquino for saying he was qualified for the position and wished the new appointee well in her endeavor. He did voice that he was disappointed that he was never once contacted by the board for an interview or that he was denied the position. “You could have called.”

Herm Hoff addressed the board and stated that there was a difference in meeting minimum qualifications and being the best candidate. The latter (Beutler) did meet the criteria.”

Fudoli/Aquino confrontation

During the public comments Supervisor Dino Fudoli agreed that in his mind due process was not served. After several residents commented/complained that the position opening was not posted and that the most qualified candidate was not chosen, it was Fronczak that asked how the process worked in choosing Monacelli.

Council Member Donna Stempniak voiced that every town board member has the right to submit a resolution. She added that every town board member also had a vote on approving the resolution.

It was here when Supervisor Fudoli interjected that like the residents he had a problem with the process. He read the e-mail that he sent the four Democrats several weeks ago and where he received no response. “I would like to recommend that any vacancy on the town board or other be posted on the town web site when the vacancy occurs. This will allow for residents who qualify to apply for the open position. As a vacancy currently exists on the Zoning Board of Appeals, I ask you not fill this position for approximately 30 days to allow for communication to take place between our board members in addressing this matter. Please let me know your thoughts on adopting a policy to fill positions on boards and committees wherever a vacancy may occur.”

“Again, I received no reply,” Fudoli remarked.

When Council Member Ron Ruffino interjected that it was getting late in the year and this appointment was only to fill a vacancy until the end of the year, Fudoli countered that that had nothing to do with his sending out an e-mail several weeks ago and getting no response from any board member.

This is when Aquino interjected and declared that the zoning board position was not rocket science, that it was not a matter of qualifications. “If a person can read and has common sense, he or she can serve on the zoning board.”

Fudoli responded that he was not making a case for Beutler’s appointment but saying he agreed with the public that having served on planning and school boards did have serious merit. “However, I am not here defending his position. I am defending my position as saying why don’t we open up the process. Instead of doing political appointments, why don’t we do qualified appointments, and start asking the public to send in resumes. I don’t see a problem in passing an ordinance requiring some kind of posting a vacancy position so that we can improve the quality of our boards.

Aquino: You made the point that the person is not qualified.

Fudoli: No, I made the point that one candidate was more qualified than the other.

Aquino: That’s your position in claiming that because a person served on a planning board he is more qualified.

Fudoli: I didn’t say that. I said the one was more experienced.

Aquino: We have the right to review and make the selection.

Fudoli: You certainly do. But, I also ask you guys don’t write letters accusing me of not sharing information. I asked for a response and got none.

After the meeting, several residents commented that it was quite obvious that the four Democrats did not want this fellow Democrat (Beutler) to serve on the Zoning Board of Appeals.
    Looks like a lot of B.S. buy Aquino and the actions by this counsel member has to be question along with his remarks. Aquino is the attorney for the village of Depew? yes and did he work with Beutler correct? Was there any thing Beutler as a planning board member vote on or did was wrong in Depew? Mr. Aquino has a pass that has been question and did Beutler have anything to do with that? Donna and Ronny have a issue with Beutler because he was one of the six people that brought suit against the Town Board and it still stings them that they screw the Taxpayers of the Town. John A. was on the Zoning board and got his blessing from the Dem chairman Terry his neighbor and doesn't have the guts to vote against the click. Just remember he stated that it was easy and not everyone is like Bob Thill. He has to be on drugs or something because Mr. Thill has forgotten more than John will ever know! I can't understand the reason for them to vote the way it went but I hope the taxpayers are watching it.

Excuse me, shortstuff, but isn't that what I said? The Town Board doesn't have to post the vacancy. Could they have? According to the ruling most assuredly they are empowered to do so. They opted not to. That is why I attached the link for everyone.

Secondly, I did not say this position is not belittled by its importance. I said that the importance of this position is being so belittled. Comments like ... it's not rocket science, someone with reasonableness and common sense, be levelheaded and able to read ... just SO dumbs down a position where as Lancaster Resident has pointed out the issues e.g. the airport can be very complex and involved. Obviously, someone with the appropriate credentials needs to be on board here.

So, shortstuff, please do not put words in my mouth. Your final comment re: my not allowing freedom of speech is quite perplexing. What are you referring to?

Interpretation is different from one to person to the next when we read something. I took your statements to be what I had derived from reading your post. Now that you have enlightened us with more "detail" now I can see that you are actually referring to what Mr. Mark Aquino stated to the general public at a town board meeting from what we read in the paper and what Lee posted.

I took you meaning the residents comments not the boards comments. So if I misread your post, then my apologies.

As far as town board decisions I further indicated by quoting in more "detail" and then put in "my" opinion. It had nothing to do with what you wrote. Like I said, freedom of speech is important for our democracy, having our governing body disrespect that is belittling.

I hope I clarified that for you, but I think you were a bit touchy on this one. Other people can post their opinions as well as facts.

This shows what they think of our Town Government - its just a show !

When Mr.Thill (Our past Town Clerk and private Attorney) - sat on the Zoning Board he stated, "Every citizen of Lancaster has been denied due process."(Quoted in the Bufnews)

Even he recognized his own part in this "Political Appointment Game."

Like when the Town Clerk Mrs.Coleman and the Town Board made the last Town Hall appointments - and cut out any input from the Supervisor or taxpayers - afterward, they then agreed to "Post future Openings" - yet they did not.

Mr.Watson(Bufnews) was present then and at this meeting - he and everyone else witnessed the Controllers do the same thing again. They (Town Clerk Coleman) control what gets put on the agenda - she writes it. They ignored the Supervisors request - they did not post the open position - then they state they see the need for a better procedure - DOG AND PONY SHOW!

With elections coming theres major pressure on the LAN Dem's to appoint every "Party Loyal Payer" they can. They need contributions - they need blind party loyalty - they need developer funding.

These appointments are obvious patronage deals - everyone of them is a slap in the face to tax payers as well as the Supervisor.

If Councilmember/Lawyer/Village Attorney Aquino states this is a "No brain needed appointment" then I guess thats shows what he and they feel about the only tools taxpayers are supposed to believe protect our interests and uphold the codes and laws.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

It looks like that it is all a matter of the Dems wanting to maintain the status quo and their "my way or the highway" attitude.
    As in the past, they won't accept constructive criticism. Not interviewing the candidates shows the Dems' ignorance and cavalier
    attitude in finding the best person for the position.

As 4248 wrote,
    These appointments are obvious patronage deals - everyone of them is a slap in the face to tax payers as well as the Supervisor.
    Last week, in Clarence, they interviewed their 4 candidates for the position of an alternate Zoning board of appeals officer.
    http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs...130219364/1046

FUdoli ran on a campaign of open and transparency in government and the Dems do their best to keep things out of the public view and under their control,
    thus no open positions posted.

Georgia L Schlager

Let's cut to the chase here. This was a selection based on which of two Democrats that applied for the position was more of an entrenched party supporter and deserving of appointment by the 4 member Democratic town board members. On the one hand you have an individual who ran for office and is a loyal Democratic Party supporter and where the other Democrat (Beutler) is a Democrat by party affiliation but one who is an independent thinker and has been known in his activist role to buck the party when the best interests of the town were in question.

The selection was not an open process in any sense of the word. Fudoli has requested the board members post the ZBA position vacancy. Several weeks ago when I had made a suggestion that vacant / reappointment positions to other boards be posted to open the process to the public, thereby hopefully ensuring the best candidate would be made available and selected, and where the entire board seemed to be in agreement that such process made sense, within a matter of weeks we witnessed a closed door policy.

And it is sad to say that the responses given by the Democrats for their selection were lacking in substance and in professionalism. One can only conclude that the best candidate was not selected to serve the best interests of the community but to serve the best interest of the Democratic Party. A few Republicans have been heard to say that even had known there was a vacancy on the ZBA they would not have entered their names knowing they would not have been considered - especially considering the lopsided makeup of Democrats on other town boards and committees. The status quo continues and will as long as the town board makeup remains the same.

All town board members are now claiming they are comfortable with opening the appointment process and placing position vacancies/reappointments on the town website. It really doesn't matter how many qualified people will apply when the board has the hammer and if their selection is based on the criteria given at Monday evening's meeting.

Kudos to Supervisor Fudoli for bringing to light the fact that he favored an open process on this selection, sent out an e-mail to the other board members, and was rebuffed. Hopefully there is a light at the end of the tunnel and more transparency and openness will be had - and the appointment process will bring best qualified individuals to serve on the boards and committees.

Looks like Beutler got passed over again. Joseph Keefe will be appointed to the open planning board position.

Is that the former trustee for the Village of Depew and former member of Erie county Sewer district #4 Board of managers?

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Let's cut to the chase here. This was a selection based on which of two Democrats that applied for the position was more of an entrenched party supporter and deserving of appointment by the 4 member Democratic town board members. On the one hand you have an individual who ran for office and is a loyal Democratic Party supporter and where the other Democrat (Beutler) is a Democrat by party affiliation but one who is an independent thinker and has been known in his activist role to buck the party when the best interests of the town were in question.
    I highlighted in blue items that mean nothing, highlighted in red a false statement if it is based on party support only and should not come into play. I high lighted in green what counts.

I was surprised when I was told our town planning board was made up of only democratic committee people.

Are these paid positions?

Quote Originally Posted by Tangodown View Post
    Are these paid positions?
    Yes they are. The Planning Board Chair receivsd $4,122 per year and the 6 planning board members receive $3,221.

As for the Zoning Board of Appeals, the Chair receives $2,106 per year and the 6 board members $1,635.

As for Mr. Beutler not receiving the Planning Board appointment, no surprise there. Mr. Beutler is more than qualified having served on the Village of Depew Planning Board and in being an informed activst in the Village and Town as well in holding the boards accountable. But that is exactly why it is no surprise he was not chosen or even considered. Unlike Mr. Keefe, a fellow Democrat, he is not one of the privledeged few.

Only three individuals submitted resumes for the position. Once again Mr. Beutler was not interviewed and did not receive any contact telling him "thanks but no thanks."

This is the way it has been and will be as long as the DEMS control the Town Board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information