Thread: US: No New Refineries in 29 Years

Tony Fracasso - Admin

US: No New Refineries in 29 Years

by Jad Mouawad, New York Times
    May 9th, 2005

About 100 miles southwest of Phoenix, in a remote patch off Interstate 8, Glenn McGinnis is seeking to do something that has not been done for 29 years in the United States. He is trying to build an oil refinery.
    Part of his job is to persuade local officials and residents to allow a 150,000-barrel-a-day refinery in their backyard - no small task. Another is to find investors ready to risk $2.5 billion in a volatile industry. So far, the effort has consumed six years and $30 million, with precious little to show for it.
    Oil industry analysts and trade organizations like the American Petroleum Institute say they know of no one else doing the same thing.
    Even so, Mr. McGinnis - an industry veteran who joined Arizona Clean Fuels last year as chief executive to give the project more heft against long odds - cleared a significant hurdle recently when Arizona awarded him a crucial emissions permit. Still ahead are countless rounds of negotiations with local, state and federal agencies to secure dozens more permits.
    Meanwhile, the 1,400-acre site picked for the refinery, an old citrus grove near the Mexican border, remains empty, a sign of why the United States is now grappling with an acute shortage of plants that can refine the more than 20 million of barrels of crude oil that the country consumes every day.

Full Story

Just think

Maybe WNY could be the first to build a Gasoline Refinery in 33 years?

Think of the jobs........

Maybe our WNY political connection to the White House could pursue this idea?
    I never said I had no idea about most of the things you said I said I had no idea about.

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers77 View Post
    Maybe WNY could be the first to build a Gasoline Refinery in 33 years?

Think of the jobs........

Maybe our WNY political connection to the White House could pursue this idea?

Honestly a fantastic idea! Not only would it supply us but NYS and possibly Canada!!! But in reality NYC would DEMAND all the gas for themselves like NF!!
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Thread Information