Thread: Town approves Orville's site plan

Town approves Orville's site plan

The Lancaster Town Board approved the site plan submitted by Tredo Engineers for the proposed construction of a 11,400 square foot Orville’s Appliance Facility at 4733-4737 William Street. The site plan was approved with three conditions:

1. Applicant to provide written agreement with Benderson Development regarding easement
    2. Applicant to provide written approval from FLIX Theaters regarding sidewalk extension
    3. Signage must be to specifications of Town Code as per Code Enforcement Officer, Jeffery Simme

The writer questioned why signalization synchronization between the Wal-Mart/Orville’s driveways and the Transit Road signal was not conditioned as well considering the discussion at the public hearing on the site plan was a focus point where all sides agreed signalization synchronization was imperative improve traffic flow and traffic safety issues.

Chowaniec: As there is nothing conditioned here on signal synchronization to occur before Orville’s goes into operation, is there then a written agreement with Orville’s that declares that they will not get an occupancy permit.

Council Member Donna Stempniak: No there is not.

Chowaniec: That is very disappointing considering that at the last meeting we both agreed that it was most important to have those signals synchronized. Through the years as more development takes place here we have seen the amount of traffic accidents increase within this 700 foot span (FLIX to Transit Road) from 9 to 20; and traffic stacking all the way to and past Transit Road.

Town Engineer Robert Harris: The drawing has a note that shows that there will be changes in the light. If you want to add that to the conditions you can. The change in the light is indicated.

Stempniak: Okay. But I don’t really think that occupancy will trigger traffic as much as construction or the closing off of the Aldi’s parking area. If we tie occupancy to that I am not sure…

Chowaniec: The important point here is that before any traffic is put on William Street there has to be some sort of cooperation between the NYSDOT and the county to ensure signal synchronization takes place between the Wal-Mart/Orville’s driveway and the signal on Transit Road. When the town the SEQR (environmental review) on the project, it was commented that traffic movement and traffic safety improvements would be likely because of Orville’s driveway signalization. I disagree with that assessment based on the fact that there will still be three un-signalized driveways within this 700 foot span of William Street. In total, the five driveways on William Street have the potential to be a service access for 12 businesses.

I live nearby and travel this stretch of William Street every day. I have witnessed accidents, near accidents and the stacking of vehicles that takes place from vehicles heading east all the way from the Wal-Mart signal onto Transit Road and beyond.

I recently FOILED for a police accident report from the FLIX Theater complex to Transit Road (700 feet). The report showed the accident rate increasing from nine to twenty since the Wal-Mart operation began in 2009. Now another business is going to open. But we are being told that the traffic will light and a non factor. There won’t be that much more traffic as this is only an appliance showroom store.

This road is already overburdened, especially at peak hour traffic. Therefore, I believe there should be something in writing compelling NYSDOT to move on this matter before the store goes into operation. It has been 4 years since the Wal-Mart began operation and NYSDOT has yet to synchronize the two signals despite repeated requests by the town. During that time period Mr. Supervisor you were a county legislator, as is Mr. McCracken now. To see that between our county legislators, the town and the requests made by the engineering department that NYSDOT has done nothing to synchronize the signals is incredible and ludicrous.

Stempniak: There is a communication that refers to Kulback’s having to apply for a permit for the signal light sequence changes. They will be paying for that. So until that time they are ready to go, it’s kind of implied that it will happen (signal synchronization). That will take place during the permitting process.

Chowaniec: Hopefully that’s true, otherwise I will be back.

When addressing the town board, resident Mike Fronczak asked Council Member Stempniak why she believed there would not be much added traffic with the opening of the Orville’s.

Stempniak: Well, I’m a shopaholic but I don’t stop at appliance stores to look what’s new in appliances. I don’t think people will be going there too often.

Fronczak: We seem to be just assuming the Orville’s will not be busy.

Stempniak: Do you go to appliance stores to just look around?

Fronczak: No, but appliances do break down more frequently today than in the past and people shop for them more than in the past. Even one more car on this overburdened road is too much.

What a shame. I feel for the people that live in the affected area. Unfortunately, people in Lancaster making these decisions have no clue for the most part.

Lee has previously mentioned this -
    Council Member Donna Stempniak’s declaration several years ago regarding the development at this ‘Gateway to Lancaster’ location: “People will look at this area of development 50 years from now and say ‘What the hell were they (Town) thinking”.
    Isn't it Stempniak (council member and planning board liason) herself who has had her hand in all the previous development that has caused all the traffic concerns?

Really, what the HELL was she thinking?

Georgia L Schlager

Councilman Stempniak is so predictable - the same song and dance - discuss - debate - pick a issue to focus the residents, then completely ignore that issue at voting time.

She has been doing this for years - from Topps to Walmart and now Orvil's. - Consummate Bureaucrat.

With her hyper inflated tax funded pension check and her Town Home owners supported check - she can afford to be a "Shopaholic" - what a tough life - Country Club and shopping.

Stop by the Library once in a while - discuss how to invent a new taxing district.

Stop by Town Hall twice a month to BS resident taxpayers and pick up her paycheck.

Attend Planning Board shows - approve every project put in front of her and skip off to another shopping spree funded by tax dollars.

I wonder if her husband retired yet - if so they would receive three tax funded checks every month.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Thread Information