Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jackson Out of Mayoral Race; Elections Board in Trouble

Jackson Out of Mayoral Race; Elections Board in Trouble

(Buffalo, NY, August 12, 2005) - - Buffalo mayoral candidate Darnell Jackson is out of the race. The Erie County Board of Elections says he doesn't have enough valid signatures on his petitions. And as Senior Correspondent Rich Newberg reports, the board has some big troubles of its own.

The Board of Elections spent about a week reviewing Democratic Buffalo mayoral candidate Darnell Jackson's petitions based on a challenge, and found they were short 257 valid signatures.

Jackson says he will prove them wrong.

Jackson said, "I'm putting in an appeal. I have three days, three business days, to put in an appeal. An appeal is being filed as we speak. I have no problem with that. I'm more than satisfied. I think I will be put back on the ballot."

The Board of Elections staff has been bogged down with petition challenges, and has fallen more than a week behind in preparing for the September primary.

The Board of Elections lost about half its staff during the budget cuts, and now there is a serious concern that the primary may be compromised.

Dennis Ryan, Republican Deputy Erie County elections commissioner, said, "You know, when you start not doing the normal functions you do to make sure the election's successful, there's a possibility mistakes can happen."

The Board has now missed the deadline for sending out absentee ballots to the military.

Dennis Ward, Democratic Erie County elections commissioner, said, "It bothers me most that people who are serving their country, and particularly those overseas, may not get their ballot in a timely fashion, which means that it may not get back here in a timely fashion, and could, conceivably, not be counted."

Many voting machines may not be prepped in time for the primary, and half the districts may have to vote with paper ballots, but the County Executive says to deal with existing resources.

Erie County Executive Joel Giambra said, "Everybody's going to have to live with less. We're doing it. The legislature's doing it. Everyone in my departments is doing it. The Board of Elections needs to do it also."

The Erie County legislature is expected to meet next week, and chairman George Holt has gone on the record saying the elections board needs help.

http://www.wivb.com/Global/story.asp...7&nav=0RapdI0E

So Jackson is out of the race!

I dont wish to appear disinterested, but WHO CARES!

Seriously, what qualifications did Darnell Jackson bring to the table anyway?

I know he was an ex gang leader who did time for mistakes made in the past and has appeared to turn his life around.

That is impressive and is deserving of recognition.

But, how does that translate into the right candidate for mayor of Buffalo? I've said it before and I'll say it again. We need someone who knows what the problems are and has a solid plan to turn this city around. That person will need vision, intelligence, a positive can do attitude and a PROVEN TRACK RECORD OF ACCOMPLISHMENT IN EITHER THE PRIVATE SECTOR OR SOME OTHER PUBLIC OFFICE. Preferably in the private sector because Buffalo is a city in dire need of being run like a business.

So while darnell jackson's efforts are noted, thetruth is he is a pretender like Judy, like Flynn and most of the candidates who have declared.

I also think Byron Brown is a huge mistake, but because of his name recognition is a serious candidate. But he is the biggest loser of the bunch.

The truth is that i would love Tom Golisano to be mayor of buffalo.
    But that's not going to happen.

I think Kevin Gaughn could very well win this election!
    Thank you New York, may I please have another!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by jbinbny

The truth is that i would love Tom Golisano to be mayor of buffalo.
    But that's not going to happen.

I think Kevin Gaughn could very well win this election!
    Wouldn't it be something if Gaughan won? I don't live in the city so I don't get to vote. But I've always like Gaughan. Some people think he's a flake and the Powers That Be hate the guy. He'd get my vote for that reason alone!

I would have loved to see Golisano run too. Oh well....

The powers that be hate the guy?

Reason enough for me to like him and seriously consider voting for him.

Truth is, at the moment, he would get my vote.

Darnell didn't make it, neither did others. The real point of this story is the failure of Gov't to meet it's obligation to provide free fair and timely elections with all the need activities that encompass such electoral processes. I'm no lawyer but I would say we have a problem EC and someone is responsible. Not funding the manditory electoral process IMO is criminal!

Originally posted by jbinbny
    So Jackson is out of the race!

I dont wish to appear disinterested, but WHO CARES!

Seriously, what qualifications did Darnell Jackson bring to the table anyway?
    I think Jackson's value to this election was not his chances of actually winning (which was virtually NILL), but the fact that he could bring issues to the table about buffalo's poor and the East side in general. It forced some discussion on these topics. Also his no-spin, no-BS style threw a wrench into the uptight polished types running against him.

I would not have voted for him, but was glad he was in the race. I'm disappointed he didn't make it to the primaries. Plus I'm annoyed with how much publicity Brown gets from the establishment here.

Having somebody completely outside the system like Jackson made if feel like a democracy for a change. What a concept.

The powers that be hate the guy? Reason enough for me to like him and seriously consider voting for him.
    I get nervous when I see comments like this. A lot of people felt the same way about Tony Masiello and look what kind of mayor he turned out to be. No, it's not exactly the same situation. Masiello was already a politician, but a lot of people felt "at least he's not Griffin and that's reason enough for me to like him."

Treachery made a monster out of me

Not funding the manditory electoral process IMO is criminal!

Joel can take away as much as he wants from the board of elections. They have the right to go over his head.

EC Adminastrative Code
    Section 16.01 Board of elections.
    a. The board of elections shall have and exercise all the powers and duties conferred or imposed upon it by the election law or any other applicable law.

and

d. The board of elections shall have the power, without public advertisement for bids, to make all purchases of and contracts for all primary or election supplies and services necessary for the operation of its office and the performance of its duties.
    NEW subsection d. Added by Local Law No. 9-1973. Former subsection d. REPEALED by Local Law No. 9-1973.

Now if I can figure out that the primaries can go through, no matter what anyone in the EC Gov't has to say about it. Who do we have running the board of elections that they don't know this as well. Oh ya! Appointed party officials! Uhmmmmm?
    Why would they mess with the primaries. Could it be because they are afriad?

Come on WNY wake up! Would ya!
    We are being played and it is hard to believe that people in WNY can not see this? Shocking simply shocking?

Originally posted by WestSideJohn
    I get nervous when I see comments like this. A lot of people felt the same way about Tony Masiello and look what kind of mayor he turned out to be. No, it's not exactly the same situation. Masiello was already a politician, but a lot of people felt "at least he's not Griffin and that's reason enough for me to like him."

John,

Tony Masiello was and continues to be a career politican. At least until january. And even after that as I think the Demo party will cart him out in support of future candidates who run for office.

Gaughn IMO represents something different. A total outsider( in the political hierarchy that is) and someone who brings a much needed" thinking outside the box" approach.

I dont think Gaughn is afraid to cast aside past practice and grasp new ideas and concepts. That in itself is a threat to all the parties involved who preach the gospel of change,.... but change is the last thing they want.

For that reason alone Gaughn is considered threatening.

Strickly speaking, it's no secret I am conservative. But I would vote for Kevin Gaughn because I feel this area needs radical change.

This election transends party affiliations and loyalties. This election DEMANDS SOMEONE WHO WILL PUSH RADICAL CHANGE.

So far as I can tell Kevin Gaughn is the only candidate willing to do just that!!!!!

I agree!!

Originally posted by LHardy
    Now if I can figure out that the primaries can go through, no matter what anyone in the EC Gov't has to say about it. Who do we have running the board of elections that they don't know this as well. Oh ya! Appointed party officials! Uhmmmmm?
    Why would they mess with the primaries. Could it be because they are afriad?

Come on WNY wake up! Would ya!
    We are being played and it is hard to believe that people in WNY can not see this? Shocking simply shocking?
    I agree 100%

Maybe they are afraid Jackson would steal votes away from another canidate.....
    Maybe a non-major-party affiliated candidate would win, someone outside of both machines??

No maybe about it.
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

Originally posted by 300miles
    I think Jackson's value to this election was not his chances of actually winning (which was virtually NILL), but the fact that he could bring issues to the table about buffalo's poor and the East side in general. It forced some discussion on these topics. Also his no-spin, no-BS style threw a wrench into the uptight polished types running against him.

I would not have voted for him, but was glad he was in the race. I'm disappointed he didn't make it to the primaries. Plus I'm annoyed with how much publicity Brown gets from the establishment here.

Having somebody completely outside the system like Jackson made if feel like a democracy for a change. What a concept.

Hmm, let me understand this. Darnell Jackson's value is that he could bring issues about Buffalo's poor and the east side in general???

Why?

Because he's black? Well, Byron Brown is black and I dont hear him championing the cause of the inner city poor. So the idea that we need a black or other minority in office so that we really get to understand the problems of the east side is IMO typecasting by race.

Byron Brown could care less about the east side. It's not his turf and certainly wont be if elected. He's interested in the east side for one thing and one thing only: Votes!! And once he gets them, he's gone.

Darnell Jackson is no different. He needs the east side vote just to have the slimmest of chances and if by some miracle he was elected mayor, would soon forget all about the east side. I'll give jackson credit for this. at least he ran a criminal organization who's goal was making $$$$$. He at least has that to say for his leadership credentials. What has Byron Brown ever led? and led well?

The only difference between Byron brown and Darnell Jackson is that Jackson did his time.

As far as Jackson's no spin, no BS style clashing with the polished types running as well, I think you call that combative! I seem to remember a little white guy from South Buffalo that was described in the same way and he was mayor for 16 years. And while he loved the city and did his best, Buffalo continued it's slow decline into irrelevance, which continues to this day.

So Darnell is out! Nice try guy and give it another go in four years!

I'm hoping to say the same about Byron Brown as well!
    Last edited by jbinbny; August 15th, 2005 at 08:51 AM.

Maybe I should have said we dont need a token minority for mayor!

And maybe I did say that without saying it!

Doesn't Byron Brown live in Hamlin Park, an east side neighborhood?

Does he maintain a residence there?? Maybe he does. But I think he lives in North Buffalo around Voorhees and Depew area

But it doesn't change my opinion that he could really care less about the east side. But he wants those votes and so his charade will continue until the election is over.

And then east side residents will find out the hard way that the've been had.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information