Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smokers keep YOUR taxes low. You should thank them

Smokers keep YOUR taxes low. You should thank them

Seriously, Look at the BILLIONS that are collected thruogh smoking cigarettes, and related crap, in the form of taxes. If everyone in NYS stopped smoking tomarrow, NYS would be out of BILLIONS in tax revenue. The only way they would be able to recoup that loss in revenue is to raise taxes on everything else.

Keep this in mind when your bad mouthing smokers.

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    Seriously, Look at the BILLIONS that are collected thruogh smoking cigarettes, and related crap, in the form of taxes. If everyone in NYS stopped smoking tomarrow, NYS would be out of BILLIONS in tax revenue. The only way they would be able to recoup that loss in revenue is to raise taxes on everything else.

Yeah but how much is spent on medicare and medicaid on smoking related health problems?

The lastest cancer study showed that 30% of cancers in 2007 were casued by smoking or second hand smoking!

And let me geuss, all those people lived in a clean room and werent exposed to all the other BS in the world today right?

Heres a good one...

My dad, died, of emphysema.

He also smoked.

However... His emphysema WASNT from smoking, though its interesting watching people attempt to BLAME his emphysema on smoking.

He got emphysema from Lime. Not tobacco.

Also, I would like to point out, that Buffalo, is one of the number one places in the country for cancer. I wonder, if thats because Buffalo, and to sorrounding area was a dumping ground for toxix and radioactive waste for decades?

And let me geuss, all those people lived in a clean room and werent exposed to all the other BS in the world today right?

Heres a good one...

My dad, died, of emphysema.

He also smoked.

However... His emphysema WASNT from smoking, though its interesting watching people attempt to BLAME his emphysema on smoking.

He got emphysema from Lime. Not tobacco.

Also, I would like to point out, that Buffalo, is one of the number one places in the country for cancer. I wonder, if thats because Buffalo, and to sorrounding area was a dumping ground for toxix and radioactive waste for decades?

Hey I agree that we shouldn't be taxing Cigs as much, but they are far from healthy for you!

Yes, and keep this in mind when the Thruway is plowed, or repaired, or a state trooper rescues you, and a whole lot more.

But then the Indian Nation is trying to demonstrate what we would be without the Thruway.

It's almost a guaranteed revenue stream because of the addiction. I used to smoke, quit three years ago. I'm not advocating a tax, but hell, why not tax them. They should also have a tax on fast food and obesity too. I'm sure being 30 lbs overweight and not exercising is probably equivalent to some number of cigarettes. They could work that into you state tax forms somehow I'm sure.

Piece of the action

Legalize pot...??? And tax that too????
    Gotta keep the govt goin'

I think the cost of lost productivity, health care far exceeds the tax on a pack of cigs.

I have no stats to back that up, but how could it not be?

Quote Originally Posted by speaker View Post
    Yes, and keep this in mind when the Thruway is plowed, or repaired,
    The NYS Thruway Authority is not a part of NYS. Its a seperate entity.

http://www.nysthruway.gov/about/factbook/index.html

The Thruway is operated by the New York State Thruway Authority, an independent public corporation created in 1950

No State tax dollars are used to operate and maintain the Thruway System; it is a user fee supported highway.

I think we should have a State Smokeout Month. All smokers should purchase their cigarettes from the reservation. Maybe this would send Paterson a message

Yes NYS would be billions more in debt cause we would still have to pay health care for all the smokers. Judge Sconiers to block tax collection based on Margaret Murphy argument that the state needs to establish procedure to ensure Native Americans are not taxed is crazy. If wholesalers are transporting cigarettes on NY roads they should have certification that the taxes are paid prior to leaving wholesalers premises. Go after wholesaler once product is delivered to Nation they pay wholesaler what ever the wholesaler charge (taxes already paid by wholesaler) nation can charge what ever they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Anotherview View Post
    I think we should have a State Smokeout Month. All smokers should purchase their cigarettes from the reservation. Maybe this would send Paterson a message

who doesnt? who smokes and pays 6 or 7 a pack ????

you can even order them online now and have them shipped tax free!!!!!!

Now you can pay by check or money order, but not cc and some can't ship them to you, but some can.

$31 a carton vs $6 a pack, gives you a savings of $29 - and if you want them shipped, 4 cartons shipped is $11.83 ..........

I would never understand anyone who smokes that pays these types of taxes paying actual retail for a carton - a pack or two when you run out, sure, but other than that?? !!!
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

I dont normally do this but since this is todays subject matter

http://www.burtonsbriefs.com/2009/02...right-now.html

and BTW, I am laughing at all you self rightous types.

When your kid cant get a coke because the nanny state is making it to expensive dont blame me, and please dont cry.

You brought it on yourself
    Last edited by steven; February 2nd, 2009 at 05:10 PM.
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    When your kid cant get a coke because the nanny state is making it to expensive dont blame me, and please dont cry.

You brought it on yourself
    How much does an "eight-ball" go for these days?

Packs of cigarettes should come with a medicare/medicaid waiver. By purchasing, you forfeit all future medicare/medicaid payments. This would be in leiu of a cigarette tax.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information