Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Now that Judy has been given the boot

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Originally posted by Joegecdist2
    IMO, I honestly think Calveneso will do better with the woman's vote than even Judy will.
    I do like Calveneso, but he just seems very dry when he speaks, and doesn't seem to really connect with people and get the troops fired up like the other candidates do.
    But as a role of mayor wouldn't you rather have someone qualified for the position or someone that knows what BS to spew?

There are a lot of very success business people that really are not suited for public speaking.. It doesn't mean they are not qualified for the job.

There are a lot of very success business people that really are not suited for public speaking.. It doesn't mean they are not qualified for the job.

I think he has great speaking skills, both to a crowd and one on one.

Originally posted by WNYresident
    But as a role of mayor wouldn't you rather have someone qualified for the position or someone that knows what BS to spew?

I agree with this.
    Michael Bloomberg from NYC is a good example!
    But I don't think he really has the qualifications either. I mean he is successful as a businessman, I'll give him that..but running a few restaurants and a mens clothing store is different than running a city.
    I could see if he ran a multi-million dollar business..that would even make him more qualified, IMO...

..but running a few restaurants and a mens clothing store is different than running a city.

A person who can run 5 different businesses on 5 different accountings is far better than most. A person whom has 4 of his five businesses within the City of Buffalo means, he, as a candidate is seen as more than part of the political machine.

Originally posted by Night Owl
    ..but running a few restaurants and a mens clothing store is different than running a city.

A person who can run 5 different businesses on 5 different accountings is far better than most. A person whom has 4 of his five businesses within the City of Buffalo means, he, as a candidate is seen as more than part of the political machine.
    I can agree with this..I like Calveneso, but I just don't "feel it" like I "feel it" with Einach and Gaughan...it's hard to explain

Maybe she would be a good candidate for school superimtendent when Williams makes a mess of things and we have to buy his contract out.
    (It's Buffalo. We always make the same mistakes .)
    Calveneso maybe able to run the cafeteria in city hall, but can he deal with Albany? The Unions? The Control Board?
    Running resturants and a Haberdashery does not an administrator make.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Originally posted by citymouse
    Maybe she would be a good candidate for school superimtendent when Williams makes a mess of things and we have to buy his contract out.
    (It's Buffalo. We always make the same mistakes .)
    Calveneso maybe able to run the cafeteria in city hall, but can he deal with Albany? The Unions? The Control Board?
    Running resturants and a Haberdashery does not an administrator make.
    But as I said before...do we really want another state senator as mayor? Brown is nothing more than an African-American Tony Masiello....Lets get someone who isn't already in politics in there for a change...

having met both many times over the years I can assure you there is much more than color that seperates Brown from Masiello.

Brown will be in charge, Masiello never was. Brown is much more intelligent than Masiello, ( so is my dog, but thats another matter).
    Tony was much more ingrained in the Buffalo political tradition, Brown didn't grow up here and dosen't have those Family, Political, and old neighborhood ties.
    He is far more independent than Masiello ever was.
    Byron Brown will do just fine as Mayor. I think he will surprize you.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

Begins with S between Eggertsville and Williamsville
    Why do you say that, because she is a woman?

okay, let's not get hung up on the gender thing.

Judy came out to the public like a flame of ideas and ambition but like many other PC candidates, it fizzled just as fast.
    She hasn't fizzled....

She will be a player come November.....

Isn't it a shame.....that what still rules this town in terms of running a sucessful campaign is $$$$$$ and connections.....

The people in power behind the scenes don't want to lose their hold.....they will do anything to ensure the likes of Brown maintain the stranglehold on local power positions (mayor..what not)

Look at it this way people we've had 2 different mayors in almost 30 years.......what does this say....that the political powers in this town control the elections and squash opponents...our local political system is setup that way....why? Cuz the people in power have made the rules.....it is next to impossible to take down an entrenched elected official around here....

That in itself is a recipe for disaster......

Griffin was a disaster.........
    Masiello was a disaster..........

This town went straight to hell under both of them...

The biggest freakin joke is that we accept it......and the political powerbases know that....

Byron is now the chosen one......

Another mistake waiting to happen......

And we discount PC....... "fizzled" Do you know how absolutely tough it is to generate a successful opposing politcal force in this town...... The political powers have been doing everything behind the scenes to derail PC......

Their are two candidates for mayor that don't owe anyone squat.... Judy and Steve and Jackson
    Someone else on this thread said that Judy doesn't have what it takes to negotiate with unions.....

And Masiello and Griffin did?

I must add I do work for Judy's campaign...so to a degree I am biased.....

But....I read these posts on here at times.....and I sometimes feel like people don't realize how truly difficult it is to break the cycle of entrenched politicians......

Maybe Judy isn't the answer......
    Maybe Steve C isn't the answer.......
    Maybe Jackson isn't the answer.........

But do we think Byron, Kevin G., Helfer, Flynn....are?

This board is full of people who want change....let's change.....
    Christopher Byrd
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    http://indabuff.com
    http://broadwayfillmorealive.org

She hasn't fizzled....

I may have posted in the beginning that she'd be a concidered vote, but as the weeks went on, I heard less and less from her and/or her campaign.

As of the past month, there was nothing she was saying, nothing she was doing.

that what still rules this town in terms of running a sucessful campaign is $$$$$$ and connections

Not entirely true, someone like Steve Calvaneso is accepting no "connectable" campaign contributions.

Steven's running on a business platform. Brown on experience, Helfer on accountablitity, Gaughan on a City Manager idea, Jackson on working for the citizens of the city, Flynn on NO affirmative action.... I honestly couldn't tell you about what Judy's main platform (besides the PC) was.

what does this say....

It says that there were a lot of people who liked having Jimmy griffin in office (relax, I was just bustin' your chops a bit)

Do you know how absolutely tough it is to generate a successful opposing politcal force in this town

yes, I am beginning to see the difficulties from candidates whom are not running under the PC label... and who are making a better name on their own; free from political parties and special interest groups.

But....I read these posts on here at times.....and I sometimes feel like people don't realize how truly difficult it is to break the cycle of entrenched politicians

I am not running for anything, but I do realize it is difficult; but putting all of your eggs in one basket (the PC) is a make or break decission, and from being one on the other side I believe no PC candidate will make it passed the Primaries.

Your reply seems just like a way to knock PC....

You miss the point.....

She hasn't fizzled....

I may have posted in the beginning that she'd be a concidered vote, but as the weeks went on, I heard less and less from her and/or her campaign.

As of the past month, there was nothing she was saying, nothing she was doing.

that what still rules this town in terms of running a sucessful campaign is $$$$$$ and connections

Not entirely true, someone like Steve Calvaneso is accepting no "connectable" campaign contributions.

Steven's running on a business platform. Brown on experience, Helfer on accountablitity, Gaughan on a City Manager idea, Jackson on working for the citizens of the city, Flynn on NO affirmative action.... I honestly couldn't tell you about what Judy's main platform (besides the PC) was.

what does this say....

It says that there were a lot of people who liked having Jimmy griffin in office (relax, I was just bustin' your chops a bit)

Do you know how absolutely tough it is to generate a successful opposing politcal force in this town

yes, I am beginning to see the difficulties from candidates whom are not running under the PC label... and who are making a better name on their own; free from political parties and special interest groups.

But....I read these posts on here at times.....and I sometimes feel like people don't realize how truly difficult it is to break the cycle of entrenched politicians

I am not running for anything, but I do realize it is difficult; but putting all of your eggs in one basket (the PC) is a make or break decission, and from being one on the other side I believe no PC candidate will make it passed the Primaries.
    Christopher Byrd

How's that? Because I said....
    I believe no PC candidate will make it passed the Primaries.
    ???

Or because I said...

I honestly couldn't tell you about what Judy's main platform (besides the PC) was.
    ???

Or because I said....

yes, I am beginning to see the difficulties from candidates whom are not running under the PC label
    ???

I said a lot about the currents candidates running for the Mayoral elections. I didn't knock anyone.

Sorry Nighty......that was my take.......

I do think we need to inspire people to look beyond the $$$s and cents....

I wish Judy, Steve C. had the backing that Byron or Helfer have $$$ wise.......

How's that? Because I said....

???

Or because I said...

???

Or because I said....

???

I said a lot about the currents candidates running for the Mayoral elections. I didn't knock anyone.
    Christopher Byrd

Originally posted by kristop

The people in power behind the scenes don't want to lose their hold.....they will do anything to ensure the likes of Brown maintain the stranglehold on local power positions (mayor..what not)

Byron is now the chosen one......

This could not be fyrther from the truth.
    The people in power behind the scenes ( The Buffalo Niagara Partnership, Carl Paladino, and all the other connected developers, as well as Various state agencies and authorities, like the Niagara power authority)certainley don't want Byron Brown.
    They have had a willing partner in City hall for the last twelve years and they are going to lose him.
    They are scared as hell.
    Why do you think Paladino has financed Helefer for 75% of his campaign so far, Because he believes in him?
    The unions may be helping Brown put they have donated less than 20% of his funding. Citizens and small business people , and some larger developers tha have been locked out by city hall and the "Gang of eighteen"have donated the other 80%.
    Check it out.
    And the unoins are surley not in power and controlling things. Otherwise we would not have a control board made up mostly of Partnership people and costing us two million a year, oh yeah, we would all have contracts instead of costly court battles that are wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars of tax payer money.
    Get your facts straight.

You are absolutely right about Hamburger Helfer....but keep this in mind......

I didn't say there aren't people who wouldn't want to see Byron Brown in....there are......

The point is that the people who run this town.........push their choices at us......they do their best to squash the competition.....and we are left with Byron and the like to choose from....in essence we are having the choice literally made for us and for all the wrong reasons....

It is a knock on the way the political and power structure in this town and area are set up.....

The power isn't with "the people"...

Originally posted by citymouse
    This could not be fyrther from the truth.
    The people in power behind the scenes ( The Buffalo Niagara Partnership, Carl Paladino, and all the other connected developers, as well as Various state agencies and authorities, like the Niagara power authority)certainley don't want Byron Brown.
    They have had a willing partner in City hall for the last twelve years and they are going to lose him.
    They are scared as hell.
    Why do you think Paladino has financed Helefer for 75% of his campaign so far, Because he believes in him?
    The unions may be helping Brown put they have donated less than 20% of his funding. Citizens and small business people , and some larger developers tha have been locked out by city hall and the "Gang of eighteen"have donated the other 80%.
    Check it out.
    And the unoins are surley not in power and controlling things. Otherwise we would not have a control board made up mostly of Partnership people and costing us two million a year, oh yeah, we would all have contracts instead of costly court battles that are wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars of tax payer money.
    Get your facts straight.
    Christopher Byrd

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information