Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Depew-Lancaster Baseball League updates Town of Lancaster

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Excellent post #13

I truly enjoyed your informative post. It seems based on logic and common sense.

The question is and has been - how does this type common sense be explained to "Politicians" ?

How does one wake up taxpayers/voters?

Many people have tried to reason with them - many have tried to help through active participation.

Without a rant - I would simply add my question - How does one change the status quo?
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Gorja, there is no donated land on Genesee Street just east of Pavement Road, supposedly donated to the town by LaFarge because of a legal settlement. That was all hype by the former administration without solid confirmation.

As to post #13, many excellent points as to why the LDB organization would not qualify for a loan – especially when they would have had to purchase land. That is why they came to the town looking to them to broker the deal.

I do not have the same concerns some posters have regarding paying off the debt and have voiced support for the project, that is, until speaking with numerous town officials and recently with the LDL itself. It was comforting hearing Council Member Mark Aquino, a project supporter, state at the recent meeting that he wanted to see LDB’s books and confirmation of the financial numbers that support that the loan will likely be paid off sooner than the 15 year bond term.

After speaking with the LDB reps at the recent work session, I did not get a warm and fuzzy feeling that this project was in the best interest of house little league players and residents, rather in the best interests of the LDB, town and outside travel teams. More time and questions should have come from the Town Board on the operation end of the business project.

Kids playing baseball and wanting to use the facility will be shut out if they are not members and pay the $150 annual fee. There was no definitive answer given when I asked about T-ball and the younger house ball teams cost and availability to use the facility.

I also agree that the $40,000 - $60,000 utility cost hook-ups should not come from the town – regardless that the money comes from the Parks & Recreation fees paid for by developers. The money could be used for other park services.

I agree with those who believe the building will take away from the aesthetics of the park entrance – especially the pond.

When concern was brought up about the decrease in child population in Lancaster and the decrease in number of kids in the DBL, it was answered that there are enough of these facilities around and slots will easily be filled by outside travel teams. This is not what I envisioned when the project was initially proposed to the Town of Lancaster. One can only have serious concerns about the added traffic from other municipalities, the use of the park by non residents and most likely the needed increase in police presence.

It is the Park and Recreation Department’s obligation to provide recreation activities for its residents. This project has the potential to have adverse impacts on a town park that is not that large in size. Although the project has merit, there are good reasons to consider as to why this project should not be supported with taxpayer dollars.

I imagine the town board members have like concerns, but unless they hear them from the residents there is less reason for them to be concerned.

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    Gorja, there is no donated land on Genesee Street just east of Pavement Road, supposedly donated to the town by LaFarge because of a legal settlement. That was all hype by the former administration without solid confirmation.
    Thanks Lee. A lesson in not to believe the words of an elected official without written proof. Shame on me.

Kids playing baseball and wanting to use the facility will be shut out if they are not members and pay the $150 annual fee. There was no definitive answer given when I asked about T-ball and the younger house ball teams cost and availability to use the facility.
    If it's suppose to be for the children of our community and it will be shutting out the children whose families can least afford the admission fee, then it's not for the community.

There's been a lot for sale on the west side of Pavement Rd near the newer apartments. The LDBL should purchase their own land; build their facility and run their business which includes consumers from other town travel teams
    on their own property.

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    5.Private business has proven they do a much better job at this- their are already locations like Sahlens, Epic,The Indoor sports park at Eastern Hills and other that provide this type of practice loacation. When government gets involved by funding an orginazation like LDLL for their own facility, it takes business away from current businesses who pay taxes already and have made their own investment in their facilities.
    That right there sums it up why the town should not be involved in this. The town as a whole should not complete with existing businesses.

Here we go again, the town board presents a project and the residents have to do the research to see if "a" project is in the best interest of Lancaster. What we fail to see over and over is lack of diligence. I understand that Mr. Fudoli explored the financial components of this project and it according to Lee's data looked feasible. However, further exploration by posters raising some valid financial viewpoints tells me perhaps the "board" should have researched further.

Another concern is the fact that you have to be a member in order to use the facility. Now if I recall, months perhaps a year ago it was an issue that the Twin Districts (beautiful fire hall) was for the residents of Lancaster and they can use the facility for banquets etc., one catch they had to be a member. Now initially, the league said you do not need to be a member to use the complex, now you do????I am very disappointed.

Here is another thought that I have, if you have this increased traffic from neighboring towns, did the league establish who was going to clean up after use of the complex? Is the town parks responsible? If so, my goodness they have troubles maintaining the park now with the current use how in the world are they going to keep up with this new complex and foot traffic/car-traffic? Oh never mind, the will hire more parks crew....

I'm sorry, the more I dissect this project, the more questions/concerns I have.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Excellent post #13
    I second that with one exception: I am against the town giving them land. Once you do it for one, you have to do it for all.

Its nice when people leave personal feelings out of Politics.

If only we could educate Politicians and make them understand - they get elected to "represent taxpayers" - that doesn't mean they decide whats best for us - that means to "Administer" the necessary services we assign to them.

Supervisor Fudoli has been on track - making honest change in a Bureaucracy is never easy - that effort is made even harder when every person that makes up your elected/appointed support team poke wholes in your boat.

Who doesn't want to give our young adults everything we can - we all want their lives to be better than ours. But thats up to each and every family to provide - its not Governments roll to be used to take the taxes of many to benefit the few.

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    They really are BSers. They even had a resolution accepting the land donation. They also had Gabby scraping up a $250,000 grant.

http://dennisgabryszak.com/DG/1/1/La...ark_010510.pdf

The four members that are still around from that administration need to be voted out the sooner the better.

I wonder if Ruffino will be talking up new soccer fields while out campaigning this summer?

Georgia L Schlager

If you go back - the more you look the more you'll find. Most of these deals were posted here as they played out. Most of the time they said I had an ax to grind. I did!

If you remember - Councilmember Ruffino used the "Pavement Road Soccer Fields" in his campaign literature, so did Councilman Stempniak.

It was exposed that one of the true reasons for this "Dog and Pony Show" was because they - Town Controllers - wanted to extend the water lines and sewers. This would have been done under the guise of services for the Soccer Fields.

First off - the land if accepted by the Town would have had to be "Re mediated" because it was land used for mining and processing cement. Water run off actually drains into Ellicott Creek - also the pits would have to be filled. Well I guess your getting the picture. It would have actually cost the tax payers of Lancaster a few million tax dollars.

Why would our Town Dem Leaders want to do this???????

Two reasons:

1) Bail out the owner of the pits as they are played out. If we would have accepted that property - taxpayers would have got burned in order to bail out a "Party Supporter" - sound familiar - can you say Cole Craft Building.

2) If this deal could have been pushed through (water & sewer upgrades) - it would also have made some land east of the quarry - near Fox Valley quite valuable for development and increase its value ten fold.

Now don't get me wrong - I am not saying just because some of our Local Controllers and their supporters enjoy Fox Valley - I am not saying there was any inside collusion - you decide.

Now another big benefit was Councilmember Ruffino was running for election at the same time. He never missed a chance to campaign at the Walden Ponds Baseball games or any other parks games. He happily promised all the soccer moms that he would deliver.

Heres another one you might remember - on Genesee Road - east of Stony Road - on the undeveloped area by the thruway - they promised indoor battle facilities and even a skating rink would be built. They claimed to have a investor ready to move it forward. Never happened - Yes, they did get the votes they needed.

Look beyond the obvious when presented - why do things like this always seems to happen just before election time?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Those are some big ticket items. Our town board gave away a $12,000 or so bocce ball court in a park.

http://www.metrowny.com/eventstory/4...ks_system.html

If it is used on a regular basis no biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    If you go back - the more you look the more you'll find. Most of these deals were posted here as they played out. Most of the time they said I had an ax to grind. I did!

If you remember - Councilmember Ruffino used the "Pavement Road Soccer Fields" in his campaign literature, so did Councilman Stempniak.

It was exposed that one of the true reasons for this "Dog and Pony Show" was because they - Town Controllers - wanted to extend the water lines and sewers. This would have been done under the guise of services for the Soccer Fields.

First off - the land if accepted by the Town would have had to be "Re mediated" because it was land used for mining and processing cement. Water run off actually drains into Ellicott Creek - also the pits would have to be filled. Well I guess your getting the picture. It would have actually cost the tax payers of Lancaster a few million tax dollars.

Why would our Town Dem Leaders want to do this???????

Two reasons:

1) Bail out the owner of the pits as they are played out. If we would have accepted that property - taxpayers would have got burned in order to bail out a "Party Supporter" - sound familiar - can you say Cole Craft Building.

2) If this deal could have been pushed through (water & sewer upgrades) - it would also have made some land east of the quarry - near Fox Valley quite valuable for development and increase its value ten fold.

Now don't get me wrong - I am not saying just because some of our Local Controllers and their supporters enjoy Fox Valley - I am not saying there was any inside collusion - you decide.

Now another big benefit was Councilmember Ruffino was running for election at the same time. He never missed a chance to campaign at the Walden Ponds Baseball games or any other parks games. He happily promised all the soccer moms that he would deliver.

Heres another one you might remember - on Genesee Road - east of Stony Road - on the undeveloped area by the thruway - they promised indoor battle facilities and even a skating rink would be built. They claimed to have a investor ready to move it forward. Never happened - Yes, they did get the votes they needed.

Look beyond the obvious when presented - why do things like this always seems to happen just before election time?
    Thanks 4248 for more of the history. You have to wonder what this year's BIG promises will be from Abraham and Ruffino

Georgia L Schlager

Correction: I wrongly stated the Genesee Street private venture sports complex was to have a "indoor battle facilities" - I meant "indoor Batting facilities".

Just trying to be as accurate as possible.

Representatives of the Depew-Lancaster Baseball League (DLB) were invited to the recent town board work session (April 15th) to review their plan before the presence of council member Donna Stempniak who was absent when they made a detaoled presentation at a meeting she was absent from, and to give an update on their progress and to let the board ask questions.

Supervisor Dino Fudoli declared that the final agreement is being prepared between the town and the league and should be ready for resolution at the first meeting in May.

Fudoli asked Stempniak if she had any questions or concerns.

Stempniak answered that the league had appeared before the planning board and as a town board liaison that attends those meetings, she became familiar with the project. She did say that as it would be coming to the planning board again for site plan approval, the board was interested in understanding the ownership process.

Stempniak: Correct me if I’m wrong. The town is going to be bonding the money for the building. The league is going to be paying us back, so it’s just like a loan. You will be paying us back the town interest rates as well. The town will eventually own the building?

LDB rep Dave Mansell: The town will always own the building.

Stempniak: If things go bad, you guys belly up, we would have to make good on the bond?

Mansell: Correct.

Stempniak: Thank you. They (planning board members) were concerned as to the ownership of the building.

Fudoli interjected that the town was looking into doing a ten year bond instead of 15 years and still having the league pay the loan off in 15 years. “The acceleration in paying off the debt may create a little more burden at the front end but later reduce the debt through lower interest costs, and while at the same time reducing the risk to the taxpayers. We are looking at every avenue to reduce the risk as much as possible.”

Stempniak: Is the league paying for the utility costs.

Fudoli: The town will cover those just like we do for the girl’s Ponytail League.

DLB Update

DLB representative Dave Mansell informed the board that the 1.2 acre development that would allow for a regular size baseball field was not realistic. The project is down to one acre and parking has been cut down in size as well. “This will cut some costs from the building project and lower our debt service obligation.”

Mansell spoke on good news relating to sponsorship commitment and added revenues. “We have just been approached by other sponsors that have pledged another $35,000. Once this goes through we will be contacting 500 other companies looking for sponsorship revenues. We will also have a letter drive that will be sent out to 2,000 families.”

Fudoli: Dave (Mansell), one of the things we spoke about, and it may be in the agreement, we did talk about that if you brought in extra revenue, you would forward it to the town.

Mansell: Correct. The checks will be made out to the town and you will hold that for us.

Fudoli: So basically we will have more access to that money, so that after you cover your debt service any extra revenue you receive will come to the town and help pay for future payments. Is that correct?

Mansell: That’s in the agreement. The checks will be put into escrow for us. The other sponsors are anxious to get the money off their books, but we will wait until the agreement becomes official.

Fudoli: From my understanding this agreement will be brought to resolution at the next town board meeting, scheduled for May 6th.

Mansell: They (sponsors) are anxious to see a signed contract ASAP.

Council member Mark Aquino: Is this operation a 501C-3? (Non profit)

Mansell: Yes.

Aquino: If someone is donating money, and you make those checks out to the town, you may be jeopardizing your tax deduction. You better watch that. You are going to have to have something in the agreement that frees you from that concern of not getting a deduction.

Fudoli: Mark (Aquino), is that something legal that can be addressed in the agreement?

Aquino: Something has to written in the agreement that says the money is earmarked to the town to pay off a loan.

Wow - this is getting good!

Those up for re-election are deferring to Councilman Stempniak - she has to take the lead to protect those on this falls ballot. Nice "Party Play" -

They will have a hard time bashing the Supervisor on this issue - they need the good press for campaign material. "Look what we did for you ! "

Now don't get me wrong - I vote NO ! - If it went up for a public vote - I vote NO !

No matter how they spell this deal out - it will be paid for in-part up front by taxpayers - it will be subsidized by home owners tax dollars - it will for the life of the building cost home owning Lancaster Tax Payers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information