Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buffalo police union president resigns amid scandal

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Buffalo police union president resigns amid scandal

Buffalo police union president resigns amid scandal

he fallout from the audit of the Buffalo Police Benevolent Association continued Wednesday on two fronts with word that the current union president resigned and confirmation that a federal investigation is under way into the handling of union funds.Lt. James Panus, the last of the union officers to work under the old administration of former PBA President Lt. Robert P. Meegan Jr., submitted his resignation Tuesday rather than face a vote that sought his removal.
    Read the full story in the Buffalo News before commenting

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Pressured police union treasurer resigns

A raucous meeting last week of Buffalo police union members upset over past PBA spending practices ended in the resignation of a longtime treasurer and the tabling of a resolution to oust the union’s president.

The actions were in direct response to a union-sponsored audit that cited lavish and unaccounted for spending by the Buffalo Police Benevolent Association during the leadership of the past president, Robert P. Meegan Jr. The audit reported union officers attending out-of-town conferences, questionable bills for liquor, expensive lunches and charges on a union credit card by Meegan.
    Read the full story in the Buffalo News

Draft audit questions Buffalo PBA spending practices

Union dues from Buffalo police officers financed lavish trips to out-of-town conferences for Police Benevolent Association officers, their spouses or significant others, according to a draft audit obtained by The Buffalo News.

Those dues also paid questionable bills for liquor that may never have been poured and overpriced lunches for the union’s board of directors.
    Read the full story in the Buffalo News

If you want some fun reading on the issue

http://theleftyline.blogspot.com/

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I just skimmed some of the comments. Sad state of affairs.

Thinking about this , be very very Leary of anyone that says this **** is OK. If it is OK, go to a union meeting and propose the practice , which Kennedy,Gambino n Evans stopped, and reinstate a 500.00 each monthly expense check, with no ****en receipts, .with all the other bull**** these 3 stopped , the union won't even notice it. We've been robbed. **** Panus and his thieving boys.

Here is one thing I would like to point out.

They feel ripped off..

I wonder why they don't feel the "tax payer" feels ripped off when they play their own over time games. Know what I mean? Funny when the shoe is on the other foot.

Those union reps put in 28 hours a day 9 days a week.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    This is a good one...

Anonymous said...

Draft audit questions Buffalo PBA spending practices
    Trips, dinners charged by Meegan questioned- read the article in today's Snooze.

These union lushes were frequently out drinking on the PBA dollar. I know one time they got into a row with some Ironworkers and they had to call the uniform guys to bail them out. Meegan and crew would have gotten pummeled by those boys.
    These union members are frequently out eating coffee and doughnuts on the tax payer's dollars.

Pot meet kettle...

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    TONAWANDA TOM said...All Police Unions and PBA's throughout WNY should be put on notice.

Your misuse of a Union credit card to stock your liquor cabinet has not gone unnoticed. Same goes for the wholesale theft of Liquor, Prime Rib and Union Property by one or more members.

You'd better re-read the statute on Grand larceny.
    Your misuse of over time to pad your pension has not gone unnoticed.......

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Anonymous said...

I don't trust a PBA man who anonymously talks to the press or gives confidential internal material to the press. If there is an issue (there is!) and you want to set the record straight then put your name on it. Otherwise you're just a sneaky coward who acts EXACTLY like the sneaky thieves you hate. Just saying.......
    Well seeing the mentality some people have I would believe the "coward" is just covering their butt while exposing the BS that is going on.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    What local political party do you believe these men are members of?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    This all reflects badly on Buffalo.

I applaud the members who stood up - this didn't start last week! It took a long time for these guys to openly complain.

To break the Blue Line Code is big - it can end in a miserable work place - retaliation on many levels. For that reason who ever delivered the "Info" should be kept anonymous.

It also wasn't "One sneaky weasel who snuck out information" - its many members who finally stood up.

As far as "Politics" - they (Union) has always had a healthy PAC FUND which is funded by Union dues just like other Unions. The Majority of their donations go to Democrats and Dem Committee.

Many hope that the investigation might include PAC Fund and how its funded. The Fire Departments Union's PAC Fund is supported the same way - part of the members Union dues are diverted to finance the PAC Fund (Political Action Committee Donation Fund).

Most members don't even know they contribute - they have never signed or even seen the donation enrollment form. Some well known insider family members/past employees turned "Politician" have enjoyed support from these funds.

Again - the guys who stood up should be applauded - more Union Employees should demand a transparent Union when it comes to agenda and monies spent.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Corruption in a labor union? What next!

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    This all reflects badly on Buffalo.

No it does not. The PBA is a private organization. This has nothing to do with the COB.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    The people who run the PBA are not police officers?

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    No it does not. The PBA is a private organization. This has nothing to do with the COB.
    Although technically that is a good point. It is embarrasing by association to most of the public unaware. I am still getting over my shock about the whole thing.....Reminds me of the exposure on school engineers that got to keep left over money from their operating budget since 1867. Which by the way I wonder if that is still happening.

To me the biggest event here was "Members" standing up.

For far too long leaders of some Unions are just following "status quo" habits. They are "Politicians" instead of "Union Stewards"

They have built huge PAC Funds and love to play the "Party Games" - they enjoy the high life and attend bogus seminars - junkets and cocktail meetings - all paid for by Union Dues. How does this protect workers job rights?

Most Unions have "Legal Council" - they pay hundreds of thousands of dollars a year for these lawyers. Should a member need legal service - thats when they find out - these lawyers are employed to protect the Union - not for the members but to protect the Union. Yet they are funded by Members dues.

Also, the Union Boards and Department "Admin" are members who can jump back and forth at will - Union - Admin - Supervisor - Union - Admin - and still enjoy the same work rules and protections based on the Union Contract.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information