Thread: 25 Cent Credit Card Fraud

25 Cent Credit Card Fraud

U.S. Credit Card Users Hit by Mysterious 25-Cent Charge

Credit card customers across the United States are reporting finding a mysterious charge for about 25 cents on their monthly billing statements, prompting concerns about a widespread scheme to defraud potentially millions of victims.

The charges shows up as coming from “Adele Services” in Melville, N.Y., but investigators say there is no such business. It is unclear how many consumers were stung by the apparent credit card billing scam.

Many consumers whose accounts were hit are concerned that the 25-cent charges are just the beginning of problems and will be followed by more expensive charges made to their accounts. However, officials report no such larger sums have been charged.

Some investigators suspect the scheme was simply designed to defraud a large group of consumers for a small amount that might go unnoticed. If enough credit card accounts are hit for even a nominal sum such as 25 cents, the cyber-thieves could make off with millions of dollars, officials said.

Former Massachusetts assistant attorney general Edgar Dworsky, who runs ConsumerWorld.org, said the scam reminded him of an old adage: “It’s easier to steal $1 from a million people than $1 million from one person.”

Dworsky said the thieves are most likely gambling on the fact that most credit card consumers do not carefully review their monthly statements and are therefore likely to overlook the small charge. Many more victims may notice the charge, but since it is for such a small amount, will ignore it and just pay the bill without reporting it to authorities.

Officials are advising credit card users to closely examine their monthly statements and see if there is a charge from “Adele Services.” If there is, consumers are urged to file a dispute over the charge with the credit card company and also report the charge to the Federal Trade Commission (www.ftc.gov) and the Internet Crime Complaint Center (www.ic3.gov) of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the National White Collar Crime Center, and the Bureau of Justice Assistance.

and get a new card immediately imho .... interesting .... thanks for the update
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

I just had a mysterious charge from virgin mobile, I don't even have virgin mobile. I called their customer support (or lack of) and they said we are not refunding your money. I am disputing it with my bank and my bank said if they said services were provided with the money they can keep it... I think this is BS... Not happy with any part of it..
    The amount was about $70

Quote Originally Posted by geo_wny View Post
    I just had a mysterious charge from virgin mobile, I don't even have virgin mobile. I called their customer support (or lack of) and they said we are not refunding your money. I am disputing it with my bank and my bank said if they said services were provided with the money they can keep it... I think this is BS... Not happy with any part of it..
    The amount was about $70
    Sounds pretty fishy. Did you ask for a new card with a different account number?

Not yet...But i am tomorrow

Not yet...But i am tomorrow
    I think it's a good idea. About a month or so ago, I had 2 very minor charges on my debit card. I mean small like $1.70 and $2.00. I called my bank and they canceled my card and issued another one.

The amount was about $70
    I'd be really ticked off at my bank and would immeadiately move my accounts. Back in November, I got a call from my bank asking me about suspicious activity. They cancelled my card and reversed the charge within 10 days (I had to sign an affidavit, otherwise it would have been a little quicker). They also blocked a few other charges from going through and sent me notice of what/where.

Yep! It's real!!!

I found a new bank for you:

http://www.redneckbank.com/

Check it out! It's real!

Thread Information