Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Space Shuttle

Space Shuttle

I never really subscribed to the "astronauts are heroes" philosophy in the past. I mean they're well-paid (I assume) and they've got the opportunity to do a job that most people would consider a thrill.

But this time, I don't know.

I don't like throwing around the word "Hero" too freely, but I do feel real bad for their families. Watching the Shuttle land is going to be erie as all hell.

Re: Space Shuttle

Originally posted by therising
    I never really subscribed to the "astronauts are heroes" philosophy in the past. I mean they're well-paid (I assume) and they've got the opportunity to do a job that most people would consider a thrill.

I don't like throwing around the word "Hero" too freely, but I do feel real bad for their families. Watching the Shuttle land is going to be erie as all hell.
    That is true, especially this mission.

I also have a hard time throwing the word hero around, especially to paid professions...Like firemen, and policemen..
    (I guess I should say people, not men).

I also do not feel much pity for them, they chose their profession.
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

Re: Space Shuttle

Originally posted by therising

As for their pay (laughing) there is no pay per-say. These guys are military people and become space-walkers because they want to do it. There is no pay other than their own military pay from the branch of service there from.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Not sure I'd agree with the Firefighter example, they seem pretty heroic to me. As for the current shuttle mission, anyone see "The Right Stuff"? Sort of reminds me of John Glenn's risky re-entry after learning there was a problem with the heat shield, everyone at controls holding their breath...hope they have the same luck as he did!

I am glad the shuttle landed safely today.
    I consider firefighters heros, especially the volunteers.
    I am going to the Erie Co fair Friday to watch their parade.
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

Volunteers are the real heroes! Fire or otherwise!
    Without volunteers where would any of us be?
    For sometime, somewhere, you will be helped by a volunteer!

Space guys for me are heroes, not out of pity or fear for their lives. Just the fact that they are such a rare breed. Some would say crazy! Strap a can to your arse and off to the moon!

Hopefully, most people’s greatest heroes are their parents.

The effort and sacrifice a parent makes for their children can be unparalleled.

Personally, my parents sucked...they were verbally and physically abusive dicks.

Parenting is probably the hardest gig in the history of humanity.

24/7 for a lifetime.

Yep, a "good" parent is a true hero.
    The difference between taxes and robbery is the mode of coercion.

I am going to have to agree there.

but I was glad to see that the space shuttle landed safely last night. I don't think I could have handled another Columbia.

Originally posted by Night Owl

I am going to have to agree there.

but I was glad to see that the space shuttle landed safely last night. I don't think I could have handled another Columbia.
    Yeah...volunteer firemen are all well and good and they occasionally save lives, but a parent creates life, supports life, nutures life, and on occasion even saves lives too.

you are right. and I will say that as above my last comment. I know quite a few volunteer firefighters (both men and women) whom were parents prior to chosing to being a volunteer.

Originally posted by Night Owl
    you are right. and I will say that as above my last comment. I know quite a few volunteer firefighters (both men and women) whom were parents prior to chosing to being a volunteer.
    Yeah...well......well I know some volunteers who volunteered not to volunteer....voluntarily.

Yeah...well......well I know some volunteers who volunteered not to volunteer....voluntarily.

HUH? LOL

Originally posted by NoCtUrNaL
    Yeah...volunteer firemen are all well and good and they occasionally save lives, but a parent creates life, supports life, nutures life, and on occasion even saves lives too.
    It doesn't make one a Hero to do any of the above - there is no criteria for becoming a parent - there are more requirements for obtaining a shopper's card at Wegmans. Is someone a hero simply for taking responsibility for their child who was born "involuntarily" into this world? Use of the word "hero" makes it sound as though someone is doing above and beyond the call of duty, putting themselves on the line for the better of someone or something other than themselves. People who do that for their children should be the norm, not heroes of the parenting world. The word is thrown around far too much these days.

Originally posted by Daisy H
    It doesn't make one a Hero to do any of the above - there is no criteria for becoming a parent - there are more requirements for obtaining a shopper's card at Wegmans. Is someone a hero simply for taking responsibility for their child who was born "involuntarily" into this world? Use of the word "hero" makes it sound as though someone is doing above and beyond the call of duty, putting themselves on the line for the better of someone or something other than themselves. People who do that for their children should be the norm, not heroes of the parenting world. The word is thrown around far too much these days.
    AMEN!!!

Question

Originally posted by Daisy H

Whatever happended to Daisy?
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information