Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does offering reduced property taxes......

Tony Fracasso - Admin

How does offering reduced property taxes......

"How does offering reduced property taxes to attract and retain industry and jobs result in stealing money?"

Moonshine's response was right in the money as far as I'm concerned.
    If the government believes that reducing property taxes attracts and retains industry and jobs, then the logical thing to do is reduce property taxes for all.
    Of course to reduce taxes for all, the government would have to drastically reduce costs. take an axe to it's own structure, and eliminate wasteful, unneeded departments and jobs. And that's the kicker. The bureaucrat may have to eliminate is own job and those of his subordinates..
    Will the bureaucrat voluntarily jump off the gravy train? Has government EVER reduced it's size? I say no.
    Government instead keeps broadening it powers and justifies more government growth to profess to fix the economic problems that it actually created, funded by extorting more and more money from the private sector.
    If government reduces taxes for certain individuals or companies and at the same time keeps becoming larger and more expensive, then the increasing tax burden is forced on those who do not receive those tax incentives and grants.
    Is that not irresponsible government? Isn't that what they call robbery from the stockholders, the stealing of money from one individual or group to the benefit of choosen and well connected few in the case of an Adelphia or an Enron?

Doesn't this make you feel screwed? Lets give those peoplea discount but everyone else pays the same. Jobs or not one company shouldn't get a break while others in the same local area don't.

Our government is getting near that time where they are going to have to "Adjust" thier compensation packages. I just don't mean on the local level but all the way up to congressmen. It seems to me we have allowed them far too deep into our pockets and they just took advantage of the situation.

Our government is getting near that time where they are going to have to "Adjust" thier compensation packages. I just don't mean on the local level but all the way up to congressmen. It seems to me we have allowed them far too deep into our pockets and they just took advantage of the situation.
    The county has it's "charter"

The Federal Government has the Patriot Act II (perm)

The Act included provisions:
    > granting law enforcement officials new ability to conduct telephone and Internet surveillance with *minimal judicial oversight;
    (* w\loopholes - none)

> expanding the ability of federal law enforcement officials to conduct secret searches; Search your home WITHOUT informing you.

> granting the FBI broad access to sensitive medical, financial, mental health and educational records WITHOUT any evidence that an individual is involved in terrorism or criminal activity - access that does not require a search warrant; Secretly access your records -- educational, medical, library, sales, financial, etc. -- WITHOUT probable cause.

> extending the ability of domestic law enforcement agencies to investigate U.S. citizens; Monitor your emails and what Internet sites you visit. Wiretap you WITHOUT your name being on the warrant. Share your information with the CIA so they can spy on you.

> allowing the use of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act to "circumvent" probable cause requirements necessary in criminal cases.

> and creating a broad new definition of "domestic terrorism" that could lead to the investigation and prosecution of persons engaged in acts of ..."political dissent".

> Indefinitely incarcerate non-citizens.

> Take away your property WITHOUT a hearing. American "eminent domain" .... is "history".

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Looks like the BUSH era of government is a dictatorship...in the name of security

Shhhhh!!! Not so loud !!

They virtually have the power to make anyone "dissappea.... Hey! who are you guy's?

How did you get in my hou...........

Avet: Have you seen The movie "Brazil"
    If not watch it if you can. It will fit your last statement.
    If you have you know what I mean.

Didn't see it. Just did a quick search & read a synapse of it. I'll watch it if I get a chance.

I heard on TV the other day a couple of professors (economics) discussing the plight of this area as well as that in NYS. Here are some of their conclusions:
    1) The county dropped county taxes by $300,000,000, the STAR program, PILOT'S and other tax incentives and still we are not expanding our job base significantly. Some reasons:
    a) It basically costs more for government, its' services & business expenses throughout the Northeast do to the lack of tourism (unlike the Sun Belt), weather related expenses (ice, snow, etc.), and the excessive cost of infrastructure do to issues such as frost line requirements.
    b) The excessive cost and the liberal qualifications of medicare based on the rest of the country.
    c) The drain of NYC on the rest of the state.
    d) The excessive cost of Workers Compensation.
    e) The cost of utilities (especially electricity) in WNY.
    f) Excessive limits on liability claims.
    They concluded that the state and county would be better off w/o NYC and if b-f would be modified.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I look at it as the "government" monkey on our back is too big. If they want to work less and have LOTS of government employees we need to pay them a lot less. If they want to work hard we can hire less of them and pay them a little more. BUT not the current levels we have now. Basically it's not fair to make the community suffer under high taxation in the name of guaranteeing thier life style.

Gold Member
    Basically it's not fair to make the community suffer under high taxation in the name of guaranteeing thier life style.
    Couldn't have said it better :-)

My question is how do we fix it? They (the pols) obviously don't see what they're doing as ultimately problematic, or they wouldn't keep the status quo (right?!?).

So that makes me think that they just don't realize, or fully comprehend the basic economic FACTS outlined in this thread.

How can we make them see reality instead of reality through rose-colored glasses?

I love complaining as much as anybody, but I want to read suggestions for improvement. It's time for a definitive plan of action. We know - I repeat, WE KNOW - the problems, how can we make them see the way it is? And how do we fix it? There are some very intelligent people frequenting this message board. I have to believe that there are at least a few constructive ideas for promoting change out there.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

get it? if not, it's a quote from Ferris Bueller's day off...ok, maybe it's just funny to me because I'm way over-tired...

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Basically it's not fair to make the community suffer under high taxation in the name of guaranteeing thier life style.

Thats exactly what it is. We are not getting anymore work out of the people who we continully pay more and more too. AND that includes pension contributions and health care premiums not just the physical take home we give them.

Plus we have to pull back on the medicaid allowances..

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    We know - I repeat, WE KNOW - the problems, how can we make them see the way it is?

THey don't want to see the way it is. Look at what we pay the "administration" levels in government departments. We paid them to continually raise our cost of living here for the last few decades.

Bueller? Bueller?

My favorite:

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

What do you think I have been reiterating about the libraries?

Library users/taxpayers are under that same pressure, higher taxation with less services. Get it now WNYresident?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Originally posted by Night Owl

What do you think I have been reiterating about the libraries?

Library users/taxpayers are under that same pressure, higher taxation with less services. Get it now WNYresident?
    WHy should the community guarantee a libraries users lifestyle ? the comment I made doesn't relate to the libraries.

the comment I made doesn't relate to the libraries.

But it's genaric enough to apply to just about anything.

The library budget for 2006 is going to be cut 19% whereas just under $3.5 million is needed for payouts and unemployment & retirement and medical.

Suiting a lifestyle.... you think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information