Thread: Wind Farms

Wind Farms

I heard some rumblings of putting wind turbines into the lake down near Lackawanna when the news of cleaning up the Bethlehem Steel site came out. Did that idea get shot down from environmental concerns, funding, etc. or is it still alive? I found this pic of a new design for the turbines that should boost electrical output and, IMO, look much cooler.

What about using some of our many brownfield sites as wind farms? Mostly, people fight them in the country because they don't look natural and they don't want to live near them... doesn't seem like either of those would be a problem in the city. I know that not every site can be a viable wind farm, but surely there must be one? Maybe this wind power could be dedicated to green-minded businesses that locate in a business park nearby? It wouldn't have to be a carbon-copy suburban office park literally, but it could be a green "district" located near the wind farms in the water and on the ground. It would bring a use back to the brownfields that would contribute to the community, but wouldn't require very much cleanup of the soil.
    Remain calm!! But run for your lives if necessary!

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Re: Wind Farms

Originally posted by crlachepinochet
    I heard some rumblings of putting wind turbines into the lake down near Lackawanna when the news of cleaning up the Bethlehem Steel site came out. Did that idea get shot down from environmental concerns, funding, etc. or is it still alive? I found this pic of a new design for the turbines that should boost electrical output and, IMO, look much cooler.

What about using some of our many brownfield sites as wind farms? Mostly, people fight them in the country because they don't look natural and they don't want to live near them... doesn't seem like either of those would be a problem in the city. I know that not every site can be a viable wind farm, but surely there must be one? Maybe this wind power could be dedicated to green-minded businesses that locate in a business park nearby? It wouldn't have to be a carbon-copy suburban office park literally, but it could be a green "district" located near the wind farms in the water and on the ground. It would bring a use back to the brownfields that would contribute to the community, but wouldn't require very much cleanup of the soil.

This is all fine and good but we have dam in our backyards. I would like to know why do they profit so handsomely off of us wny'ers.

THey made upwards of 597 mil in one year someone said on 120 mil worth of operating costs. They can cut our electric cost in HALF and still make a good profit.

Re: Wind Farms

I heard some rumblings of putting wind turbines into the lake down near Lackawanna

"oh no not the windmills...what about the birds??!! Dont you care about the birds??!! you insensitive destroyer of nature...you right wing bully!! cry cry wimper" LOL!

isnt that the new Lib cry about windfarms? lol

all right, all right, I'll stop picking on you folks.

btw, that is really a cool windmill.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Birds? I think not.

I think we ruin the enviroment more with fossil fuels than what any windmill would do.

Re: Re: Wind Farms

Originally posted by WNYresident
    This is all fine and good but we have dam in our backyards. I would like to know why do they profit so handsomely off of us wny'ers.

THey made upwards of 597 mil in one year someone said on 120 mil worth of operating costs. They can cut our electric cost in HALF and still make a good profit.
    I HAVE written to Higgins ever since he took up the Power Authority fight about how the NPP is in our backyard, the PA makes a massive profit, and our electricity rates are higher than the national average. I haven't gotten any response yet, but it may take a while for him/his staff? I'll probably just get some stock response.
    Remain calm!! But run for your lives if necessary!

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Re: Re: Re: Wind Farms

I HAVE written to Higgins ever since he took up the Power Authority fight about how the NPP is in our backyard, the PA makes a massive profit, and our electricity rates are higher than the national average. I haven't gotten any response yet, but it may take a while for him/his staff? I'll probably just get some stock response.
    well think about it.. What makes us special that we need to be boned by anything that has a government label on it IE: Authority

Thread Information