Thread: Travelers battle crowds 'to see Obama's head'

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Travelers battle crowds 'to see Obama's head'

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Thousands of people packed into Washington-area subway trains early Tuesday, wanting to join the expected millions headed to the National Mall to witness the inauguration of the nation's 44th president, Barack Obama.

The second train on the red line was filled Tuesday, the density increased by the many layers of clothing on each traveler.
    Benica Tripleti and Cole Campbell were among 54 from Eastern Kentucky University who started the day with a 2 a.m. bus ride from their Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, hotel to the Shady Grove station in Rockville, Maryland, the first subway stop on the red line in the Washington suburbs.
    The group was planning to plant themselves on the Mall, undaunted by the 20-degree temperatures and the crowd expected to hit 2 million.
    "We are expecting chaos," Campbell said.
    "We are Southerners, so we don't say anything 'can't do,'" Tripleti said. Her goal, she said, was "to see Obama's head."
    Read more on CNN

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post

Read more on CNN

If I can just touch his garments then I will be healed.

Unregistered
    What I find hysterical, is that millions of Kool-Aid drinkers are paying to freeze their asses off and be packed in like sardines to watch and listen to the ceremony on large screens that will be set up along the National Mall.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA View Post
    What I find hysterical, is that millions of Kool-Aid drinkers are paying to freeze their asses off and be packed in like sardines to watch and listen to the ceremony on large screens that will be set up along the National Mall.
    The inauguration ceremony is free & open to the public, so there goes the hilarity; the masses are gathering because it's HISTORY in the making. Let's put this into perspective, a country that once supported black slavery, now has a man of color, for the first time in US History, as its President. This is especially poignant for those with slavery and oppression in its family geneology.
    Last edited by buffy; January 20th, 2009 at 11:45 AM.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by buffy View Post
    The inauguration ceremony is free & open to the public, so there goes the hilarity; the masses are gathering because it's HISTORY in the making. Let's put this into perspective.
    Was travel and lodging free too?

Still hysterical.

The inauguration ceremony is free & open to the public, so there goes the hilarity; the masses are gathering because it's HISTORY in the making. Let's put this into perspective, a country that once supported black slavery, now has a man of color, for the first time in US History, as its President. This is especially poignant for those with slavery and oppression in its family geneology.
    Would it be less "historic" if it was a hispanic, native american or Asian POTUS?

Was travel and lodging free too?

Still hysterical.
    some things are worth paying to see, depends on your priorities & passions

Unregistered
    some things are worth paying to see, depends on your priorities & passions
    Point is, you could use the money you spent for travel and lodging towards the purchase of a big screen TV or projector and watch it in the comfort of your own home.

What's the sense in going to DC to watch it on TV?

Point is, you could use the money you spent for travel and lodging towards the purchase of a big screen TV or projector and watch it in the comfort of your own home.

What's the sense in going to DC to watch it on TV?
    It's a confirmation, I suppose, for those who may have wondered whether earlier work & dreams of MLK and other civil rights activitists would ever be realized. People, black and white did not stay home for the 1963 March on Washington, so why would interested able-bodied people want to stay home and watch a "success story" be sworn in to the highest office in the land? Besides, it's a HUGE PARTY.
    Last edited by buffy; January 20th, 2009 at 12:09 PM.

Not Watching

I'm not watching it at all. My main interest what changes Mr. Obama plans to make for this country.

1) Will he be able to correct any of our country's problems?
    2) Will the media give him a free ride?
    3) Will we able to criticize his mistakes without being called a racist?

I hope he can succeed but I will be commenting if I fell it is necessary.
    Russia didn't make me vote for Trump, Hillary did.

History in the making

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lackawanna View Post
    I'm not watching it at all. My main interest what changes Mr. Obama plans to make for this country.

1) Will he be able to correct any of our country's problems?
    2) Will the media give him a free ride?
    3) Will we able to criticize his mistakes without being called a racist?

I hope he can succeed but I will be commenting if I fell it is necessary.
    HISTORY IN THE MAKING..A MILESTONE FOR THIS COUNTRY TO SHOW THE WORLD THAT ANYONE CAN SUCCEED...and not even ethnicity can keep you back....THE ONLY thing that can stop anyone from success, IS THEMSELVES!!
    ONLY TIME WILL TELL..if the right choice was made in our leadership of this country....be it a black or white person...male or female.
    What has put this country in a hole is the "blind " voters who are loyal to their party and not the qualifications of the candidate.
    The dems or republican PARTY's could endorse ALFRED E. NEUMAN!! AND VOTERS WHO FOLLOW THEIR PARTY'S ENDORSEMENT ,WOULD VOTE FOR HIM JUST BECAUSE!!

Thread Information