Thread: Appeal for Organizational appointment reform

Appeal for Organizational appointment reform

The Town of Lancaster held its annual Organizational Meeting Monday night. Appointed members to myriad town positions are announced. The writer asked the following questions and commented on the appointment process.

Through the efforts of your office, in particular you (Supervisor Fudoli) and administrative assistant Lynn Sacha, the Town of Lancaster and the Lancaster Industrial Development Agency (LIDA) websites have been updated to meet resident requests to have information they thought important available; information that fostered government openness and transparency – such as upcoming meeting agendas/pre-filed resolution language/communications and even the proposed 2013 budget.

In that light, I suggest like consideration is given to the appointment process; regarding posting position availability, the process used to fill those appointments, and the term limits.

Case in point; I see from the Organizational minutes that John Visone and Bill Tate will no longer serve on the LIDA Board. Is their departure through resignation or the selection process?

Supervisor Dino Fudoli: There were two selections that were changed. One pick was done by the Town Board and one by me. Robert Klaczyk was my pick and Mike LoCicero was the board’s choice. I will only comment on my selection. Bill Tate has sold his house, moved out of Lancaster and told me a few months ago to find a replacement. I had a few people that expressed interest and got a few resumes. I selected Klaczyk.

Chowaniec: Were these available positions posted anywhere, in the town or in the media; that two LIDA positions would be available so that individuals could submit applications and/or resumes to be considered for the position?

Town Clerk Johanna Coleman: They are in the appointment resolutions; whenever anyone is appointed.

Chowaniec: Prior to that, when the appointments are announced and approved, how would anyone know that there was a position open and that they would have the opportunity to submit an application of interest and/or resume?

Fudoli: That is something that we will do moving forward, placing that on the town’s website. I think that would be a good idea to put that information out there, sometime around October. Certain positions become available every year. Some are six year terms.

Council member Donna Stempniak: That’s in the resolution. Because I am looking at the first resolution that says that these appointments are effective from January 1, 2013. The individuals so appointed shall serve at the will of the Town Board unless otherwise specified by law.

Chowaniec: It is stated in the resolution…

Stempniak: Yes it is!

Chowaniec: But nowhere else…

Fudoli: I think I know what you are saying. Without going through years of paperwork, the information you are looking for is not readily available. We could post something on the website as to the appointments coming up for next year (2014).

Chowaniec: Exactly what I am trying to say!

Stempniak: There are people that have been sending us resumes right along. In fact, a person sent a resume back in May and hopefully we can appoint him tonight. So anyone that is interested in positions on the board that are in my committee, I keep them.

Chowaniec: At the same time, I know personally of two people who expressed interest in appointed board positions. One in fact was encouraged by the previous LIDA administration to do so a few years ago and was told that the LIDA board was interested in putting a woman in the position and put in an application. Four appointments have gone by and this individual was by-passed without even being informed there was an opening imminent.

The respective boards/positions, the name(s) of the appointed member(s) and position term limits and expiration day should be posted on the website so that the public has an opportunity to know when a position becomes available.

Looking at this year’s and last year’s Organizational meeting minutes they do not state the members who serve on the Planning or Zoning Board of Appeals Boards; merely who was newly appointed and/or reappointed, and their term limit. Nowhere else can you find the names of who sits on those boards unless you know enough to go to those board meeting minutes where the members names are listed. That is not openness and/or transparency.

Now you spoke earlier on getting resumes. I read Mr. LoCicero’s resume in the town communications. I did not see a resume entered by Mr. Klaczyk. I read the impressive resumes submitted by Mr. Rozler and McPeak for the EMS Directorship. Throughout the year I read communications submitted by incumbent appointed board members reapplying for membership – and they are almost always reappointed because there is no posting that indicates a position term is up and available. Yet I did not see any resume by Mr. Klaczyk or by others you said showed interest.

Supervisor Fudoli: I also reached out and approached a few people, but I understand what you are saying. It did not make its way into the communications.
    Council member Mark Aquino: I think the simple thing to do is to post the positions on the town website along with the term limits.

Chowaniec: That’s all that I am asking for – especially considering term limits for all members do not end at the same time (year). There should also be a notice posted when a LIDA position becomes available during a term for whatever reason. This type of openness and transparency eliminates the suspicion that the selection process is a closed loop and selections are made by the whim of the town board; and where family and friends have an inside track.

I was at the last LIDA meeting and had no knowledge that two board seats were up for appointment, nor did anyone else in the public. There was no announce or indication that such would be the case. And, as far as qualifications to be a member of the LIDA Board, does one have to have a business background?

Fudoli: No, but that is taken into consideration. My selection was based on a self-employed business owner.

Chowaniec: There are students present who will be going to college and coming out with degrees in engineering, design, planning, etc. who might well be interested in filling a position on the town planning or zoning boards. What a wonderful opportunity it would be for them to engage in town governance and a benefit to the town as well. There are some appointed board members who just take up space and have nothing to offer. The town needs new blood. That is why we need a system in place to encourage public participation, for the town board to vet candidates and appoint them on the basis of qualification. That system is in the best interest of the town.

Aquino said he encouraged Anthony Gorski to seek a position on the Planning Board because Gorski is an architect and will provide helpful technical expertise. He had submitted a resume back in 2010. He resubmitted a resume back in May expressing interest again and is why I recommended him.

Chowaniec: That’s good and people need to hear that. But they also need to have advance notice that a position will be available to ensure the opportunity for the best candidate to be selected; and that the selection is not made based on political and/or family and friend selection(s).

Lee when you were addressing the board,
    your questions were pertinent. I would like to
    know the position this female applicant for the LIDA
    was, did she own a business, is she currently in the
    business field-any information on that?

I also felt that the Supervisor was sheepish when
    he responded to your questions, why?

I think town residents would like to be part
    of the process and putting this on the website
    is a step in the right direction. New blood would
    be nice, most importantly though having experience and
    expertise should play a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by reformthi$ View Post

The Town of Cheektowaga has a job opening area on its website. Strangely enough for the last several years all it ever says is that there are NO job openings at this time, despite the fact that there have been numerous persons hired throughout the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    The Town of Cheektowaga has a job opening area on its website. Strangely enough for the last several years all it ever says is that there are NO job openings at this time, despite the fact that there have been numerous persons hired throughout the years.
    The Town of Clarence show no job openings as well, but have seen them in the past. When the Parks
    crew chief was retiring, that position was posted.

They do have available committee and board positions posted-
    BOARD/COMMITTEE CURRENT OPENINGS:
    Avoidable Alarm Committee - currently has one opening.

Cabe TV Advisory Committee - currently has one opening.

Community Residences Committee -currently has one opening.

Conservation Advisory Council Committee-currently has one opening.

Ethics Board - currently has one opening. (Note-must me a non-registered republican and non-registered democrat).

Historic Preservation Commission – currently has two openings.

Youth Board - currently has one opening.
    At least, if they were posted when available, the appointments wouldn't look so contrived.
    I don't know that Gorski fellow but also saw that he had requested appointment to planning board back in July 2009.
    Six months later, McCracken's then girlfriend (present wife) was appointed to the planning board. WHo had
    better qualifications an architect or a (?) ?

Georgia L Schlager

Supervisor Fudoli explained his reason for selecting Klaczyk for one of the openings on the LIDA – a business owner and that the opening occurred because Bill Tate moved out of Lancaster.

The other four town board members made the other selection and chose Michael LoCicero, an attorney who is related to the Town Prosecutor. No mention was made why LIDA member John Visone was not reappointed by them. What’s up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by ichingtheory View Post
    Supervisor Fudoli explained his reason for selecting Klaczyk for one of the openings on the LIDA – a business owner and that the opening occurred because Bill Tate moved out of Lancaster.

The other four town board members made the other selection and chose Michael LoCicero, an attorney who is related to the Town Prosecutor. No mention was made why LIDA member John Visone was not reappointed by them. What’s up with that?
    Wonder if all 5 board members knew of both openings on the LIDA?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by reformthi$ View Post

The female applicant at one time ran a business, as her husband now does as well. She was well qualified for the position but affiliated with the wrong political party at the time.

I imagine the Supervisor was so-called sheepish because he wanted to make clear his selection was based on a individual having a business acumen and that the replacement was for an LIDA member who was leaving the community and therefore resigned.

He did not want to explain away the other selection of the person being replaced on the LIDA Board by the four town board members. The person replaced turned out to be an impediment for that Board and I would imagine an embarrassment for the DEMS to have him continue serving in a manner that many would say was not in the best interest of the town. Unfortunately their choice of LoCicero, an attorney and son of the Town Prosecutor smacks of patronage in the eyes of many.

These openings did not happen overnight. Had there been a process in place to announce the openings we would not have seen but one resume entered in the communications and heard a lot of "we interviewed several people for the LIDA position."

Good post Dan. Unfortunately municipalities get away with crap like this if there is no one to hold them accountable. There are several of us who read the communications and will be making it known when a board sitting member reapplies for said position - at least until the time this information gets posted on the town website; and if it doesn't we will make it known.

Supervisor Fudoli promised transparency and openness and so far he has delivered. It is imperative for the best interest of the community to have appointed position openings published to ensure the town gets the best and brightest to fill those positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

Supervisor Fudoli promised transparency and openness and so far he has delivered. It is imperative for the best interest of the community to have appointed position openings published to ensure the town gets the best and brightest to fill those positions.
    i

I completely agree with you on this Lee, these positions need to be posted on the Town web site and open to all that want to apply. The required and preferred qualifications also need to be posted and a response given to those that are turned down. Supervisor Fudoli is but one person that has to deal with an opposing voting majority, but he can push this openess and transparency initiative to the next level now. I hope he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    The female applicant at one time ran a business, as her husband now does as well. She was well qualified for the position but affiliated with the wrong political party at the time.

I imagine the Supervisor was so-called sheepish because he wanted to make clear his selection was based on a individual having a business acumen and that the replacement was for an LIDA member who was leaving the community and therefore resigned.

He did not want to explain away the other selection of the person being replaced on the LIDA Board by the four town board members. The person replaced turned out to be an impediment for that Board and I would imagine an embarrassment for the DEMS to have him continue serving in a manner that many would say was not in the best interest of the town. Unfortunately their choice of LoCicero, an attorney and son of the Town Prosecutor smacks of patronage in the eyes of many.

These openings did not happen overnight. Had there been a process in place to announce the openings we would not have seen but one resume entered in the communications and heard a lot of "we interviewed several people for the LIDA position."
    It sounds like to me that it appears to be a
    gender problem rather than an affiliation problem.

That LIDA has always been the boys club. Never had
    a female on that board.

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    The Town of Clarence show no job openings as well, but have seen them in the past. When the Parks
    crew chief was retiring, that position was posted.

They do have available committee and board positions posted-
    BOARD/COMMITTEE CURRENT OPENINGS:

At least, if they were posted when available, the appointments wouldn't look so contrived.
    I don't know that Gorski fellow but also saw that he had requested appointment to planning board back in July 2009.
    Six months later, McCracken's then girlfriend (present wife) was appointed to the planning board. WHo had
    better qualifications an architect or a (?) ?
    Ha! great point gorja, you see McCracken held many priviledges
    and one of them was the ability to put in place anyone he wanted.
    Of course, his wife is on the Planning Board, I actually hear though
    that she does a fairly good job.

Yeah I see what you mean, hopefully here
    in Lancaster the websites will reflect what
    Fudoli seemed to state, more of this on the website for
    the general public. But you know what, let's put it to practice
    and see how it goes.

Thread Information