Thread: The cold hard facts about the PBA and it's long reach deep into our pockets!

The cold hard facts about the PBA and it's long reach deep into our pockets!

Recently I read where Brian Higgins has delivered an ultimatum to the Peace Bridge Authority. Either get the shovels into the ground within 1 year or he will recommend that federal aid money for the project be taken away and used elsewhere!

While I applaud Rep. Higgin"s kick in the ass to the PBA, I am forced to wonder why any taxpayer money should be necessary to finance this project???

Not when there is a practical, privately financed alternative!

The hard facts as put forth by the PBA is that they will require $110 million dollars of taxpayer money to get this project done!!!The AmbassadorNiagara Bridge Group's proposal requires NONE!!!!! Not one thin dime!!

The PBA and Rep Higgins both agree that this money is for a scaled down proposal, not Tony Masiello's and the New Millenium Groups dream of a signature, world class "Welcome to Buffalo and the USA" bridge. Actually the $110 million is for a twin span companion bridge which will mimic the existing structure.

The AmbassadorNiagara's proposal is for a signature trucks only bridge a little further north of the existing bridge.

The best the PBA can do is recommend that all customs, warehousing and associated jobs be performed on the canadian side!!! What a stupid idea!!!

The AmbassadorNiagara proposal is redevelopment of the Black Rock neighborhood and the jobs and development would go here, not in Ft.Erie! What a great idea!!!!

The PBA states that they are not worried about anyone else building a bridge because they have "exclusive rights within 5 miles of the current bridge". This smacks of an arrogant goverment patronage entity that thumbs it's nose at the taxpayers who are forced to finance their arrogance!!

Why do we taxpayers allow this to continue??? Why??? It's a question we should ask ourselves more often.

The new bridge is possibly the most important project to the future growth of Buffalo and it's suburbs. I, for one am not willing to leave it in the hands of these worthless *******s at the Peace Bridge Authority!
    Thank you New York, may I please have another!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I emailed Brian Higgins 3 days ago expressing my concerns with the PBA and the whole project in general.

So far, no reply.

you'll get a form letter soon, if nothing at all.

I dont believe the Ambassador Niagara proposal is given enough serious consideration by public officials. I truly dont!

What could be better than a signature bridge built entirely by private funds????

When was the last time a $300 million dollar private investment in Buffalo was announced???

If the goverment intends to give us $110 million GREAT!!!! We'll take it. I'm not advocating dismantling of the exisiting Peace Bridge. We can still use the funds to refurbish and rebuild the or even build a companion structure in which this would be used for cars, pedestrian traffic, etc, etc.

Just that the trucks would go over the Ambassador Niagara span!!!

I see no information on how much the Canadian Government will be contributing to the project. It should be not a dime less than any American cost. As I have said previously, I think the Canadians are getting off light. Buffalo has to suck up increased truck traffic through the city, demolition of many west side homes, and Canada has to build a truck facility? What about using the Whirlpool bridge for a one way truck bridge? There will be no bridge upriver because the Canadians do not want their Niagara Parkland violated. Buffalo is no winner in this deal. I use the Peace Bridge maybe six times a year. Even if the wait is an aditional one hour, six hours a year is no skin off my nose. Buffalo should stick to its gun and get a nice bridge out of it, or nothing. This free trade (NAFTA) thing has been a big negative for Buffalo (Trico, etc.). It is about time Buffalo got something out of it in a nice SIGNATURE bridge.

The PBA has continuously, for years, held onto this project as if it was their own private property and money being used. They WILL not let the public have a say in the matter but do a lot of posturing. Several years ago there was a huge outcry from Erie county residents concerning their secretive plans. And the protests were working, folks, the spotlight was on the PBA and its machinations.This was all before 9/11. A few years ago twelve possible bridges were presented to the public to choose from and make a choice they did. Then we had Giambra's antics which have rolled back and refocused all progress in Erie County.
    The stranglehold the PBA has on the Peace Bridge has got to be broken. The Canadians have got a point. This is why their side of the river is beautiful. They stick to their guns. But at this time Canada is benefitting as much if not more from the traffic generated.
    I want a signature bridge, big and beautiful, and Buffalo's West side relieved of the traffic and emissions, and now is the time to do it, not 100 years from now.

Thread Information