Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Solution is to Live Within Our Means

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    You hit the nail on the head! Our economy is not supported by people saving their money! Over the decades it has been propped up from everyone spending as much as they can... and then even more by going into debt. Debt had been made very easy to obtain via credit cards, low interest rates, and mortgages that don't even require down payments. THIS is how our economy boomed. It's coming to a screeching halt people people are (rightfully) afraid to spend now.

The "right" thing to do is to live within our means, but unfortunately, that policy will not improve our economy for years, until the whole system is realigned to reality. It will be a painful switch. The more likely scenario is the govt will attempt to prop up the debt/credit house of cards again and hope we all forget anything happened.
    If you remember during the 40's 50 and 60's the US had one massive advantage to most other countries. We had a trading SURPLUS!! However now we have nearly an 800 BILLION dollar a year deficit, THIS has been a major cause for the slowing of the economy the last 40 years!

This country can survive by "living within it's means" as long as we have a trade SURPLUS, how do you think Iran or SA are growing so fast? It's not because they spend more than they make and go inot debt. It's because they have a mutli BILLION dollar trade surplus, meaning they bring in Billions a year so they can afford to save!
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Buy American?

It will take a miracle to get Corporations and Consumers in the United States to but American again. This would mean outsourcing would have to stop. I know first had that the GM industry I worked for bought machinery from foreign counties and ignored similar machinery from manufactures in the United States. Was it the cost factor? As an consumer have you ever attempted to buy an American made product? I have attempted to buy a small kitchen electrical appliance at a big named store in this area. I gave up, all I could find were American brand name products that were made in China. With the new "Global Economy" I don't think there are many consumer products made in the United States anymore. We need to get our manufacturing base back into this country again.
    Russia didn't make me vote for Trump, Hillary did.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lackawanna View Post
    It will take a miracle to get Corporations and Consumers in the United States to but American again. This would mean outsourcing would have to stop. I know first had that the GM industry I worked for bought machinery from foreign counties and ignored similar machinery from manufactures in the United States. Was it the cost factor? As an consumer have you ever attempted to buy an American made product? I have attempted to buy a small kitchen electrical appliance at a big named store in this area. I gave up, all I could find were American brand name products that were made in China. With the new "Global Economy" I don't think there are many consumer products made in the United States anymore. We need to get our manufacturing base back into this country again.
    Mr Lackawanna: I am all for buying American. I would love to start some sort of organization to promote buying USA. At first, I think it would be difficult but as time goes on and people start compiling information as to the US articles and where they can be purchased, it might be easier.

Obama wants us all to pitch in. An organization like this would be a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Anotherview View Post
    Mr Lackawanna: I am all for buying American. I would love to start some sort of organization to promote buying USA. At first, I think it would be difficult but as time goes on and people start compiling information as to the US articles and where they can be purchased, it might be easier.

Obama wants us all to pitch in. An organization like this would be a good start.
    I believe that these types of organizations already exist...they just don't gather much steam.

Lacks, as a guy who has defended Walmart in the past, your "buy American" rhetoric is ringing a little hollow here...
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Quote Originally Posted by run4it View Post
    I believe that these types of organizations already exist...they just don't gather much steam.

Lacks, as a guy who has defended Walmart in the past, your "buy American" rhetoric is ringing a little hollow here...
    Good to see you back.

Yes Wall Mart sells has products that are made in China. You will find these same products for sale in our local malls. The only difference is that they are generally lower in price at Wall Mart. For me shopping at Wall Mart the main advantage is their brand named grocery and meat products. Which prices are mostly lower than the prices in our area supermarkets. These products are what I buy the most of at Wall Mart. I don't think these products are made in China but who really knows where they are grown or processed at anymore. When I need an appliance, large or small I try to buy them over the Internet. I take into consideration the price, free shipping and if their is no sales tax.

I'm looking forward to the new Wall Mart super center that will be opening soon in Hamburg NY.

You know that one on a fixed income has to learn how to survive is this "New World Global Economy."

Quote Originally Posted by run4it View Post

They do but the most difficult task is finding American made goods. If there was a comprehensive list of USA made items and where they can be purchased, I think we would get more traffic on USA goods.

Wall Mart

Any one know when the new Wall Mart super store in Hamburg is scheduled to be open to the public?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information