Thread: Ebbers to get life

Ebbers to get life

Bernie Ebbers, the now-convicted mastermind behind the biggest corporate bankruptcy and accounting fraud in history, may serve the rest of his life in prison.

Ebbers decided to take the chance of a jury trial and lost big time.

Today, federal prosecutors formally recommended that he receive a life sentence for his crimes.

Ken Lay and Jeff Skillon, both under indictment for Enron-related misdeeds, were reportedly busily cleaning out their drawers.

Now here's serious punishment for serious crime.

You want to clean up corrupt government?

Hand out some serious sentences like this.
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

Re: Ebbers to get life

Originally posted by biker
    Bernie Ebbers, the now-convicted mastermind behind the biggest corporate bankruptcy and accounting fraud in history, may serve the rest of his life in prison.

Today, federal prosecutors formally recommended that he receive a life sentence for his crimes.

Ken Lay and Jeff Skillon, both under indictment for Enron-related misdeeds, were reportedly busily cleaning out their drawers.

Biker you are 100% correct!!!!

That SOB cost me a few hundred.

Was it lays wife or ebbers wife that was on tv crying about having to sell the house in aspen?? Made me want to puke.

All of 'em should go away for life......Their estates should be liquidated to fund the pensions of the employees they screwed.
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

Re: Re: Ebbers to get life

Originally posted by LaNdReW

All of 'em should go away for life......Their estates should be liquidated to fund the pensions of the employees they screwed.
    That is a great idea.

I don't know about Aspen, but Mrs. Lay was running an antique store (or second hand shop, depending on how hard you're pushing for sobs) according to one of the Enron books I read.

The bad news today is that Scrushy of Health South got off scott free.

Apparently, running a radio Bible study show in the South is a good defense strategy.

The jury apparently believed that the five CFOs who served under Scrushy were the masterminds, not the chief who was there the whole time.

Despite that pitiful example, I still contend that the average businiessman is much more moral than the average politician.

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Re: Ebbers to get life

EXACTLY.......

We were misinformed how badly the spend/debt ratio was until this year. Giambra and his crew lied about the finacial condition of erie county. We had a Legislature who didn't demand monthly reports to know what they were dealing with finacially.

Since the Legislature still isn't demanding monthly reports.

Since the same lying b*stards are in the EC Budget Office.

Why do you think we know how bad things really are?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    We really dont seeing the ones reporting are on the same team. THink about it. It's like the fox guarding the hen house.

I wouldn't exactly say they're on the same team.

But I thnk a better analogy might be "lunatics running the asylum."

I doubt very much that Joel thinks anyone in the Legislature is on his team.

Except Holt. My guess there is that Giambra promised Clark some more dough so Clark wouldn't prosecute Holt.

So what if the FBI is investigating Holt.

That doesn't preclude Clark or Spitzer from prosecuting him.

Bernie Ebbers was sentenced to 25 years in prison today. He wept in court. At his age, that's probably a life sentence.

He's already agreed to turn over all his assets for a class action settlement.

Richard Scrushy got off scot free.

But Ken Lay and Jeff Skillon (Enron rascals) can't assume that having a trial in their hometown will do them any favors: Enron laid off 30,000 in Houston.

And in Erie County????

Joe Illuzi is calling Joe Passifiume a "gentleman" and wishing him a happy retirement.

For his part in nearly bankrupting EC, Passifiume should be joining Ebbers.

Instead, he'll collect a pension.

Bernie Ebbers was sentenced to 25 years in prison today. He wept in court. At his age, that's probably a life sentence.

He's already agreed to turn over all his assets for a class action settlement.

Richard Scrushy got off scot free.

But Ken Lay and Jeff Skillon (Enron rascals) can't assume that having a trial in their hometown will do them any favors: Enron laid off 30,000 in Houston.

And in Erie County????

Joe Illuzi is calling Joe Passifiume a "gentleman" and wishing him a happy retirement.

For his part in nearly bankrupting EC, Passifiume should be joining Ebbers.

Instead, he'll collect a pension.
    I think the difference is that corporations have accounting rules and regulations that they have to follow but not all governments have written accounting rules and those that do may not follow them -- so much for self-policing (in other words, don't let the inmates run the asylum!).

So, Joe Passifiume skates into happy retirement ... if somebody were to come after him, he'll like claim he didn't know the budgets he certified were out of balance. After all, incompetence is not a crime.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Someone g overnmental defense could be "Hey I'm stupid" what did you expect from me.

They write the rules, so of course there aren't any.

I can't imagine any publicly-traded company staffing itself with people as thinly-credentialled and incompetent for their jobs as is considered the norm in government.

I used to be involved in looking at companies to buy them. In a couple, there were family members in the financial area. And it showed. Reporting was usually very late and analysis nil.

I guess the feeling was family trust (control of the dough) trumped competence.

Thread Information