Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Happened?

Angry What Happened?

To our society? and PLEASSSEEEE!!! don't give me that crap about "It finally grew up!

IMMIGRANTS,
    NOT AMERICANS,
    MUST ADAPT.
    I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we
    are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist
    attacks on Sept. 11,
    we have experienced a surge
    in patriotism by the majority
    of Americans. However, the dust from the attacks had
    barely settled when the "politically correct! " crowd began complaining
    about
    the possibility that our patriotism was offending others.

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who
    is seeking a better life by coming to America. Our population is almost
    entirely made up of descendants of immigrants. However, there
    are a few things that those
    who have recently come to
    our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand. This
    idea of America being a
    multicultural community
    has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As
    Americans, we
    have our own culture, our
    own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has
    been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by
    millions of men and women who have sought freedom.

We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese,
    Russian, or any other language.
    Therefore, if you wish to become part
    of our society, learn the language!

"In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some Christian,
    right wing, political slogan.. We adopted this motto because Christian
    men and women,
    on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly
    documented.
    It is certainly appropriate to display it
    on the walls of our schools. If God
    offends you, then I suggest you
    consider another part of the world as
    your new home, because God is part
    of our culture.

If Stars and Stripes offend you, or
    you don't like Uncle Sam, then you
    should seriously consider a move
    to another part of this planet. We
    are happy with our culture and have
    no desire to change, and we really
    don't care how you did things where
    you came from. This is
    OUR COUNTRY,
    our land, and our lifestyle. Our First Amendment gives every citizen the
    right to express his opinion and we
    will allow you every opportunity to do so!
    But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our flag,
    our pledge, our national motto, or our
    way of life, I highly encourage you to
    take advantage of one other great American freedom,
    THE RIGHT TO LEAVE!!
    It is Time for America to Speak up

Recieved from a friend in Tampa Fla.
    May you live forever.....and the last voice you hear.....MINE!

for a minute there, I thought it was moadib talking.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    He's right though. THis is the USA not some lets change the rules to accomidate every possible person.

Originally posted by WNYresident
    He's right though. THis is the USA not some lets change the rules to accomidate every possible person.
    Actually the whole purpose of this country and the thing that makes it so great is that it does accommodate the beliefs and traditions and what ever of every person. There is nothing in the Constitution (to the best of my knowledge) which dictates the language you speak or the food you eat or the clothing you wear or the religion you practice.

Our American culture is modified by every wave of immigrants bringing all of their good and bad stuff with them. Anyone who thinks there is some monolithic unchanging American culture is severely naive and ungrateful to the country we have and the people who made it.

Actually the whole purpose of this country and the thing that makes it so great is that it does accommodate the beliefs and traditions and what ever of every person.

This is true, the USA was made up of "accommodations"

There is nothing in the Constitution (to the best of my knowledge) which dictates the language you speak or the food you eat or the clothing you wear or the religion you practice.

ARTICLE I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese,
    Russian, or any other language.
    Therefore, if you wish to become part
    of our society, learn the language!

Pretty harsh considering this is a Free America, and considering the original 13 Colonies were made up of European settlers - imagrants.

Look back on your own heritage, I have 4 ethnic backgrounds. I was born America, as with my parents, but there are traces of other countries within my (human) being. We are all imagrants if you look at it. If we are born under a Free America, this is still our America to share like decades before leading all the way back to the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

I'll add this one in for good measure:
    Article XIV.
    Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Re: What Happened?

I wonder... does your "why don't you just leave" attitude extend to other areas as well? For example, if you don't like abortion, which is legal in the United States, why don't you just leave and move to a country where abortion is illegal? If you don't like the raise in the Erie County sales tax (and I'll bet that means all of us) why don't you just leave? Get the hell out.

Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it, being expected to leave your home - the place that you love - rather than speak out and try to change something you think is wrong?

I'm really tired of people who speak out being labeled as unpatriotic. There's nothing unpatriotic about trying to make the country (or state or city or county) we love a better place.

Treachery made a monster out of me

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I had a politician once tell me "YOU just don't like to pay taxes". He totally doesn't see the picture. I don't like to be screwed.. THere's a difference. Most intelligent people know there's a physical cost to some services. The issue is why do we have to pay TOP dollar to provide these services wether if it's what we give away for welfare or pay the people who do it.

Show of hands please from anyone whose parents/ grandparents or great grandparents were not immigrants?

It's funny how years ago, when the immigrants were Europeans, people didn't seem to mind so much. Now that they're Hispanic, Asian, Middle Eastern, etc, we have to close the border.

Originally posted by therising
    Show of hands please from anyone whose parents/ grandparents or great grandparents were not immigrants?

It's funny how years ago, when the immigrants were Europeans, people didn't seem to mind so much. Now that they're Hispanic, Asian, Middle Eastern, etc, we have to close the border.
    I don't mind the Asians or the Middle Easterners, but we don't want the Irish.

Originally posted by ERIEMAN
    I am against Walgreens employees. Who do they think they are? Oh yes and Wegmans's employees too. As a matter of fact I am against anyone who works for a company starting with the letter "W" They should all leave!!

Originally posted by leets
    I am against Walgreens employees. Who do they think they are? Oh yes and Wegmans's employees too. As a matter of fact I am against anyone who works for a company starting with the letter "W" They should all leave!!
    Throw in the letter "B" too, because Big Lots sucks ass.

Re: What Happened?

Sweet Jeebus, but this is the most ridiculous thing.

Originally posted by Chancellor Qu'noH [snip]

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to America. Our population is almost entirely made up of descendants of immigrants. However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of America being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Americans, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.
    Every single little bit of our American culture is descended from, or related to, the fact that we're all immigrants here.

We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language!
    And? Are you really that offended by bilingual instructions on government forms? Have you ever actually been pressured to speak Spanish or Japanese to someone rather than English? Of course not.

"In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan.. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented.

It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.
    God doesn't offend me, but religion does. And if I want my kid to undergo religious indoctrination, it'll be in my home and in my church. It'll be done on my time where I want. I won't have the government dictate to me what I should and should not believe in, and I especially won't have a bunch of reactionary xenophobes dicate to me where and when and to whom I ought to pray.

If not having God mentioned on the wall of a public school offends you, then might I suggest a parochial school, Yeshiva, or madrassah?

If Stars and Stripes offend you, or you don't like Uncle Sam, then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where
    you came from. This is OUR COUNTRY, our land, and our lifestyle. Our First Amendment gives every citizen the right to express his opinion and we will allow you every opportunity to do so!

But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our flag, our pledge, our national motto, or our way of life, I highly encourage you to take advantage of one other great American freedom, THE RIGHT TO LEAVE!!
    The anti-Uncle Sam lobby is sooooo strong and influential. /sarcasm.

You know, it's not the flag or Uncle Sam or the pledge or the national motto or any other little jingoistic symbol you can name that makes this country great.

It's our laws and our constitution that make this country great.

So if you're all bent out of shape about the pledge, etc. not being respected, you really need to check yourself.

It is Time for America to Speak up
    let dopey stuff ring.

[/QUOTE]
    This website makes money off of a depraved and idiotic conspiracy theory.

moonshine
    Amish, circa 1720. Maybe that's why I never understood the whole nationality thing.

here... well sort of.

One grandparent came from another country as a young adult, but the rest were all from the Western New York region.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And? Are you really that offended by bilingual instructions on government forms? Have you ever actually been pressured to speak Spanish or Japanese to someone rather than English? Of course not.

Actually, now that I think about doesn't the "English" language come from ENGLAND, so we are a speaking the language of another county, right?

Is there a real "American" language?

What's wrong with the Irish? Not that I am 100%

let's be nice.

Originally posted by Night Owl

here... well sort of.

One grandparent came from another country as a young adult, but the rest were all from the Western New York region.

quote:

Actually, now that I think about doesn't the "English" language come from ENGLAND, so we are a speaking the language of another county, right?

Is there a real "American" language?

What's wrong with the Irish? Not that I am 100%

let's be nice.
    NO, you REALLY need to start picking up on my sarcasm.

"but we don't want the Irish" is a line from Blazing Saddles. The rest is too off-color for these boards.

Technically, isn't ebonics an "american" language? Imagine how stupid everyone would sound if we decided on a REAL "american" language such as that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information