Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yoga studios

Yoga studios

Does anyone practice yoga? I'm trying to find a good yoga studio and would appreciate any suggestions.

I've been going to the Bikram Studiio in Williamsville for a couple of years. It's "hot yoga" distinguished by practicing a prescribed set of hatha yoga positions in a 105 degree room. It's a more intense workout in the heat and helps facilitate muscle flexability. The sweating is great for the skin.

If hot yoga is not for you, I also heard good things about the instructor at Rising Sun Yoga Studio in Snyder.

Himalayan institute on Delaware have been doing it before it was trendy and accepted.....around 1972

that would be my advice.

Wii Fit...lol
    If it weren't for the United States Military, there would be NO United States of America !

Quote Originally Posted by JustRetired View Post
    Wii Fit...lol
    Yeah, we got Wii Fit for Christmas. The balance is interesting but sorry, it just isn't for me.

I heard there is a Yoga Studio in the Walker Center. Does anyone know about it?
    I've tried Bikram - I'd love to go more regularly but it's hard to fit it in with my family's lifestyle and meal times.
    I've been to Rising Sun too but some of the class is devoted to inversions such as hand and headstands. I tried but It wreaked havoc on my back. I've hesitated to return.

Quote Originally Posted by JustRetired View Post
    Wii Fit...lol
    well I was going to say the same thing....

AND I think if this was expanded, it would put gyms out of biz, or at least hinder a lot of enrollment. Take runners for example, I know the wii fit doesnt run long distances, (maybe it does when you unlock a bunch?) but imagine running and being able to change your background or scenery? adding music to it? kinda virtual......... it is truely amazing what could be done.....
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

I have a friend who recovered from breast cancer and attributes part of her recovery to "Yoga by Design" run by a sensitive and caring yoga instructor who takes your abilities and special concerns into consideration in your session. The studio is supposed to be beautiful; it's located on Main Street in Williamsville above Marty's Formal Wear.

Another option if you like to mix it up, is a class called BODYFLOW, offered at some local Gold's Gyms. It's been described as yoga on steroids. The warm-up is a faster paced Tai Chi, then on to some serious yoga and pilates for abs. TOO good.

btw, I was at the Walker Center yesterday and found no yoga studio, although the corner business is Pine Pharmacy, which includes a Wellness Center for Nutrition and acupuncture and looks like it has enough space for yoga - but-no yoga at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by buffy View Post
    btw, I was at the Walker Center yesterday and found no yoga studio, although the corner business is Pine Pharmacy, which includes a Wellness Center for Nutrition and acupuncture and looks like it has enough space for yoga - but-no yoga at this time.
    I did an online search and found a schedule and phone number. I called and was told the yoga studio is upstairs, above the clothing store. There is a stair case outside you must climb. I would have never known about it if I can't done a search and called.

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    I did an online search and found a schedule and phone number. I called and was told the yoga studio is upstairs, above the clothing store. There is a stair case outside you must climb. I would have never known about it if I can't done a search and called.
    What is the name? Are you going to check it out?

Unregistered
    I've been going to the Bikram Studiio in Williamsville for a couple of years. It's "hot yoga" distinguished by practicing a prescribed set of hatha yoga positions in a 105 degree room. It's a more intense workout in the heat and helps facilitate muscle flexability. The sweating is great for the skin.
    Sounds kind of "hot".

What is the name? Are you going to check it out?
    I think it is called Yoga at the Walker Center. I went to a class tonight. I like it! The instructor has a lot of experience - 20 years. The studio was lovely. They've only been open 4 months. It's yoga flow. The studio is warmish - I think she said she set the thermostat for 83 degrees. Not quite Bikram but enough to bring out a sweat.

Btw, I asked the instructor about headstands and she said with my back condtion headstands would be contraindicated. Handstands would be better.

She trained with Baron Baptiste if that matters to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    I think it is called Yoga at the Walker Center. I went to a class tonight. I like it! The instructor has a lot of experience - 20 years. The studio was lovely. They've only been open 4 months. It's yoga flow. The studio is warmish - I think she said she set the thermostat for 83 degrees. Not quite Bikram but enough to bring out a sweat.

Btw, I asked the instructor about headstands and she said with my back condtion headstands would be contraindicated. Handstands would be better.

She trained with Baron Baptiste if that matters to you.
    thanks for the info, I may drop in, but first, I'll have to google Baron Bapitiste.

BTW, when I do a headstand, I do it against a wall, clasp my hands around my head & bear the weight on my forearms - it REALLY tightens up the triceps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information