Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: something to think about along with my fellow veterans

Angry, Man he was angry !

I'll get to your questions a bit later ok. Friday, I had VA Dental and there was this kid and I use the word kid because he was a kid. He spent 10 months in Iraq and man is he angry. He said what America needs to do is kill every last man, woman, kid in Iraq.

Boy did he ring a cord in my head. I sat there listing to him talk among of Nam Vets and this kid had the PTSD blues...he is so messed up I could see myself in him 37 years ago.

He wanted to know if we knew moist of the guys in Iraq are pulling 2-3 full tours over there. I told him I knew about that. Anyways, he seem to felt better when us Nam Vet WELCOMED him to the BROTHERHOOD as we accepted him without question.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Re: Re: no I don't

Originally posted by therising
    Riven - put it this way:

What if their is a soldier over there who is having 2nd thoughts about the war? I mean, he's just not sure we're doing the right thing, but he's giving it 110% anyway. In his mind, it's not for him to judge - he's simply following orders.

Do you think that soldier has the RIGHT to feel that way?
    I don't think those boys have the time to think and I speak for the Marines because they are running patrol after patrol and just finished up with a major operation.

I can only look back on me when I was in Nam. When we had standdown I'd catch the TV some and see all the American protesting being shown on TV. I will be as honest to you as I can. I never gave it a thought. I seen it, didn't understand it and put it out of my mind. In Nam we (US Marines) had a saying, "It don't mean nothing." This was how we delt with bad situations, it was a defence mechinism and 37 years later, "life don't mean nothing."

Please don't read between the lines or something. This saying means many different things to many different men. For I, it meant deal with it in my own way, then put it away the best way I could.

I don't think our boys no matter how young or old have much time to think about anything other than coming home and staying alive day by day and night by night.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Re: Re: steps

Originally posted by lyn1639
    Where will they get soldiers for the next 12 years without a draft? Recruitment is way down and you wouldn't believe some of the things they're telling these kids trying to recruit them. I've heard stories that make me cringe. None of the kids I've heard any of this from are buying into it, so the pool is shrinking.
    You're right Linda, enlistments are down but reenlistments are up. I can just imagine the sell there giving out but that's what they do, is, to sell the military to them.

In my time, there was no selling. I signed and I became property of the US Government. Today, it is a whole new ball game. The military is now concidered a job and war becomes part of that job, good, bad or endifferent that's military life and the risk the boys sign up for.

The VA is filled with these kids, some whom already completed a full tour of duty working on the next one. And others completed more than one tour and re-enlisting. I don't think all are not buying into it, I think only those who a in fear of getting killed or coming home without their legs or arms. Today, nearly 3,000 have lost limbs and nearly 1700 of those lost more then one limb.

If I could go in there place I would in a heartbeat. I am a seasoned warrior and I don't know why I couldn't to I'm only 54. I might be able to hump the patrols like I did in 69 but give me a weapon and watch me make them dance.
    Riven37
    _________

Re: Re: steps

None of the kids I've heard any of this from are buying into it, so the pool is shrinking.
    so you feel you're well informed because of the "kids" you've spoken too? How many kids? You conclude that the US military recruitement is in trouble because these "kids" you know arent "buying" it?

Maybe you take your freedom, safety and liberty for granted.

Re: Re: Re: steps

Originally posted by Boost Buffalo
    so you feel you're well informed because of the "kids" you've spoken too? How many kids? You conclude that the US military recruitement is in trouble because these "kids" you know arent "buying" it?

My thoughts on recruitment targets not being met are based on things I've read. As for what the class of '05 is thinking, been to any graduation parties this year? I've been to quite a few, different groups from different schools, and the kids are saying pretty much the same things, and they're being called by recruiters regularly. No, I don't take anything for granted in life, not even life itself. My oldest is just a little over 3 years from military age and the other three aren't far behind her. Two out of four of mine are talking about wanting to join the service. Would I try to stop them? Not if it's what they really want to do, but I damn well want them to be well trained and properly equipped. I want them to have a full understanding that it's a serious undertaking and not fun and travel with a paycheck before they make the final decision.
    Linda
    ==========================

I don't want to move, I want to make a difference.

Re: Re: Re: Re: steps

but I damn well want them to be well trained and properly equipped.
    Right on

Re: Re: Re: steps

Originally posted by Boost Buffalo
    How did you extrapolate that from what she said??

I suppose you think the ASVAB is the best thing to hit high school since pizza.
    Last edited by LaNdReW; July 10th, 2005 at 07:40 PM.
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread Information