Thread: County Wide Property Reassessment

County Wide Property Reassessment

You might want to bookmark this site for future reference in the not so distant future

"New York State Office of Real Property Services Home Page. ... Providing unprecedented school tax relief to NY homeowners."

www.orps.state.ny.us

If your community hasn't experienced this joy in the past several years, place an advanced order of party favors and noisemakers.

County wide reassessments were one of the major initiatives of the N.C. Exec upon taking over in 2001 because there was tax revenue gold in those Long Island properties. You think your school taxes burn you up now, just wait until your property tax base rises.

The spin doctors at your Town Hall meetings will tell you that about 1/3 of the property owners will see higher property taxes. You will get the triple whammy of school, town and county tax increases on a higher taxable base but keep in mind that everyone will get to pay their "fair share".

Of course, thanks to apathy and ignorance, only a small % of property owners will take their impact notices seriously. An even smaller % of those people will study the process and challenge the results of a mass appraisal.

An Erie County wide reval will ensure that all property owners once again get to see their town tax $ put toward the Assessor's office staff and the reval companies that the tax payers compensate to ensure that every property owner pays only their "fair share".

Lars
    "... the world is full of educated derelicts..." Calvin Coolidge

Here's another reason businesses and people are leaving this area as fast as they can!
    May you live forever.....and the last voice you hear.....MINE!

Originally posted by Chancellor Qu'noH
    Here's another reason businesses and people are leaving this area as fast as they can!
    Oh yeah! Add to that the fact that businesses doing biz with the county, who are having cash flow problems, are scratchin' their heads on how to tell their A/P depts to prioritize paying their own bills when talk of "insolvency" is an option.

Oucheroo

Lars

What ever happened in Lancaster? Weren't they trying to get the re-val stopped?

Doesn't each town/city rather than the county do its own tax assessment? That's how it worked twenty years ago in Erie County when I owned a house in Buffalo and how it works in Albany, Cattaraugus, and Chautauqua counties (where I own/have owned property). Maybe I misunderstood.

NYS is essentially forcing all municipalities that haven't already done so to go to full market value assessments, and this is what is prompting the large number of reassessments. The City of Jamestown is finally biting the bullet and doing a reval after stalling for years, but virtually all the towns in Cattaraugus and Chautauqua Counties have been doing market value assessments for a decade or more.

The tax levy, which is the total amount to be raised by property taxes, should stay the same before and after any reval. When the tax levy stays the same, if the total value of property in a municipality goes up, then the tax rate goes down. If that doesn't happen, then yes, the municipality, school district, etc is screwing you with a tax increase. A town/city reval should be revenue neutral.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

I called for a county wide re-assessment months ago on this MB.
    The problem isn't those of us who are paying enough in property taxes. It is those that are not. Like it or not many props are way under valued. IE. - My nieghbor was still paying the same value he did when he bought his house over thirty years ago. That is where you will find people seeing an increase. It is not fair to those of us who have been paying the appropriate rate. Just think about it, not seeing an increase for thirty years while the rest of us have been increased. Uhmmm?

Lars:
    I heard last night that the town of Boston hires out the job of assessment to some independent company. Does the town not have an assessors office? If they do why would they subcontract?
    Is any of this true?

Originally posted by LHardy
    I called for a county wide re-assessment months ago on this MB.
    The problem isn't those of us who are paying enough in property taxes. It is those that are not. Like it or not many props are way under valued. IE. - My nieghbor was still paying the same value he did when he bought his house over thirty years ago. That is where you will find people seeing an increase. It is not fair to those of us who have been paying the appropriate rate. Just think about it, not seeing an increase for thirty years while the rest of us have been increased. Uhmmm?

Lars:
    I heard last night that the town of Boston hires out the job of assessment to some independent company. Does the town not have an assessors office? If they do why would they subcontract?
    Is any of this true?
    Yes - Boston has own Assessor office but the scope of a reval was too large and the Town Board voted to hire TSL out of Buffalo to do a "mass appraisal". It has been a cluster of miscommunication, late results, and more. Get a couple copies of the Hamburg Sun from the past four weeks and you'll see how I've been taking steps to hold the Town of Boston officials involved with the reval accountable for concerns among many, many property owners.

I'll post more info in the "assessment issues" forum. I think the info will be valuable for those who have properties that have been under the radar and undervalued and therefore not paying their "fair share". God! that phrase "fair share" makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up :>(((((

Lars

Re: County Wide Property Reassessment

Originally posted by lars
    You might want to bookmark this site for future reference in the not so distant future

"New York State Office of Real Property Services Home Page. ... Providing unprecedented school tax relief to NY homeowners."

www.orps.state.ny.us

If your community hasn't experienced this joy in the past several years, place an advanced order of party favors and noisemakers.

County wide reassessments were one of the major initiatives of the N.C. Exec upon taking over in 2001 because there was tax revenue gold in those Long Island properties. You think your school taxes burn you up now, just wait until your property tax base rises.

The spin doctors at your Town Hall meetings will tell you that about 1/3 of the property owners will see higher property taxes. You will get the triple whammy of school, town and county tax increases on a higher taxable base but keep in mind that everyone will get to pay their "fair share".

Of course, thanks to apathy and ignorance, only a small % of property owners will take their impact notices seriously. An even smaller % of those people will study the process and challenge the results of a mass appraisal.

An Erie County wide reval will ensure that all property owners once again get to see their town tax $ put toward the Assessor's office staff and the reval companies that the tax payers compensate to ensure that every property owner pays only their "fair share".

Lars

Lars, I thought each town decided whether to embark on a revaluation. Did you read somewhere that the entire county will do so?

Thread Information