Thread: Places LOSING population 1990-2003

Places LOSING population 1990-2003

NOTE:

"Tonawanda" refers to the town and both cities (Tonawanda and North Tonawanda) COMBINED

so without further ado:

Town.............1990..............2000........... .2003........change (%).......

Buffalo.........328,123.........292,648.......285, 018..-43,105 (-13%)

Tonawanda.134,737.........127,553.......125,100...-9,637 (-7%)

Cheek..........99,314...........94,019.........92, 200....-7,114 (-7%)
    towaga

Depew.........17,673...........16,629.........16,1 94....-1,479 (-8%)

Lackawanna.20,585..........19,064.........18,622.. ..-1,963 (-10%)

Kenmore.......17,180..........16,426.........15,93 3....-1,247 (-7%)

Sloan............3,830.............3,775.......... .3,670.......-160 (-4%)

Williams........5,583.............5,573........... 5,427......-156 (-3%)
    West............47,830...........45,920..........4 5,223.....-2,607 (-5%)
    Seneca

Blasdell........2,900..............2,718.......... .2,638.......-262 (-9%)

TOTAL 1990-2003 Losses in ALL listed places: 67,730
    TOTAL 1990 population of listed places: 677,755
    PERCENTAGE of 1990 pop lost in these places: 10%

Now, for giggles, let's take Buffalo out of the pic a moment:

Total 1990-2003 non-Buffalo losses in listed places: 24,625
    Total 1990 non-Buffalo population: 349,632
    Percentage of non-Buffalo 1990 pop lost: 7%

BTW, Erie County as a WHOLE is as follows:

1990: 968,532
    2000: 950,265
    2003: 936,318
    total and % change since 1990: -32,214 (-3%)

So, our beloved county has lost 3% of its citizens over the last 13 years, INCLUDING the losses in the city of Buffalo

OUTSIDE the city, the county OVERALL has GAINED in population, see numbers below

Erie County OUTSIDE Buffalo City

1990: 640,409
    2003: 651,300

That's a GAIN of almost 11,000 people OUTSIDE the city in the past 13 years

Subtract from that the roughly 43,000 lost in the city during that same period, and you have your 32,000 net loss for the ENTIRE county

There. Everyone's accounted for.

CONCLUSIONS:

1) The county OUTSIDE Buffalo has grown at a rate of about 2%

2) when the city is factored in, that growth rate of 2% becomes a LOSS of 3% (a 5 percentage point SWING)

3) There are SEVERAL communites in Erie County which enjoy STRONG growth rates

I'll let you guys come up with some more. I'm tapped out!
    The truth from a troll is still the truth.

When using numbers for lots of municipalities, you have to be careful to avoid counting people twice. For instance, the town of Amherst includes the village of Williamsville, the town of Cheektowaga includes Sloan and part of Depew, the town of Tonawanda includes Kenmore, but is seperate from the city of Tonawanda.
    Remain calm!! But run for your lives if necessary!

I don't think you can say that the county has gained pop by excluding the city's loss. By saying that you infer that the only reason that the county is losing population is that people are moving out of the city of Buffalo to some other metro. If fact i think you will find that the greatest loss of people from the Buffalo metro area is occurring from younger suburban people moving out of town. The city's population loss is caused by a movement from Buffalo to the suburbs as well as to other metro areas.

The loss of population from the metro area should be a grave concern for the state and for WNY. There are very few places losing population in the US.

This loss of population combined with lower paying service jobs and an ever increasing infrastructure burden imposed by continued sprawl development is very dangerous.

WNY is at a crisis point. The entire political structure of NY has to be changed weather they be Dems or Reps. To do that people have to become very involved and in the representatives faces.

The county and city budget crisis is a gift horse and a wake up call. It may just be what gives the area some new leadership and new ideas

Leets:

We finally found something to agree on.

This budget crisis is a gift. If we can win back at the County level a better deal of citizen control, we can move on to the other levels.

Trolls:

Thanks for the data. What is the source?

Some idiot has been posting for the last month that the County has been losing 50.000 people a year. That's ridiculous. There would be no one left in 20years.

Stagnant or no growth is a reality here, though. I won't even get into the reasons why.

But if reduced population is the reality, why do we pursue "growth" strategies. As discussed elsewhere, there are benefits to fewer folks here. But you have to plan for it.

If you plan the infrastructure for 100,000 more and you end up with 100,000 less, the costs will kill you.
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

Originally posted by biker
    Some idiot has been posting for the last month that the County has been losing 50.000 people a year. That's ridiculous. There would be no one left in 20years.
    The idiot is misquoting the info (I think he was banned)

The number he was quoting was from a comparison of out-migration vs in-migration (how many people left v how many people came to WNY). He conveniently left off the part showing how many came in to Erie county.

Here are some factors to keep in mind:

1. The Buffalo metropolitan statistical area includes both Erie and Niagara Counties, so when the US Census counts population, jobs, wealth, etc by metropolitan area, it is including both counties.

2. The movement out of Erie County has NOT necessarily been out of the "metropolitan area" but north to Niagara County, particularly towards Lockport.

3. Some of the movement out of the Buffalo Metropolitan Area and out of Erie County has been to counties directly south and east: Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, Wyoming, and Genesee. Both Genesee and Wyoming gained population between 1990 and 2000, and Cattaraugus and Chautauqua lost a smaller percentage of their population than did Erie County.

4. Low or negative population growth is also a problem in western and northern PA as well as in northern (Cleveland) and southern (Cincinnati) Ohio despite the fact that these areas have lower taxes.

In other words, the shift in population to the south and west as well as from small and medium cities and towns into fewer, bigger metro areas is NOT simply a local problem but part of a much bigger migration that simply cutting taxes isn't going to solve. High taxes and high living expenses haven't kept people from moving to NYC.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Linda,

Agreed 100%

People want trendy, hip places to live, and perception is REALITY!

When they make a show on the WB with a sex-driven plot, and call it "The 716" then we'll know we've got something

LOL

Seriously though, MANY people want sun, beaches, people in scanty clothes, celebrities, warm weather, constant festival atmosphere, ect....

For a LOT of people, taxes are a SECONDARY or even lower, priority

I guess it depends on what you want.

I personally HATE hot weather, and enjoy winter (until mid January)

Plus, I like our city, I just wish it didn't lose the equivalent of a small county every 10 years
    The truth from a troll is still the truth.

Originally posted by leets

The number he was quoting was from a comparison of out-migration vs in-migration (how many people left v how many people came to WNY). He conveniently left off the part showing how many came in to Erie county.
    I kinda figured that's what he was doing, especially after I challenged him on it and he kept ignoring me.
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

Originally posted by leets

The banned fellow was comparing two numbers that were counting different things. The 2003 number he used was only the household population. I also was disappointed when brian didn't respond to my challenge... ugh, and I was even cordial towards him for a little bit!

Re: Places LOSING population 1990-2003

Originally posted by Trolls_r_us
    NOTE:

3) There are SEVERAL communites in Erie County which enjoy STRONG growth rates

I'll let you guys come up with some more. I'm tapped out!
    I think "several" is stretching it. Clarence and Lancaster are pretty much it, aren't they? Grand Island has grown some; Amherst too. But I'm not sure that qualifies as several.

Re: Re: Places LOSING population 1990-2003

Originally posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    I think "several" is stretching it. Clarence and Lancaster are pretty much it, aren't they? Grand Island has grown some; Amherst too. But I'm not sure that qualifies as several.
    Any town that is growing in WNY is doing so at the expense of another WNY town or city. Real growth means new people are coming in not just moving around.

People want trendy, hip places to live, and perception is REALITY!

When they make a show on the WB with a sex-driven plot, and call it "The 716" then we'll know we've got something

Hahahahaha

The O.P.

Thread Information