Thread: Public elementary school is first in Buffalo to require uniforms

Public elementary school is first in Buffalo to require uniforms

Beginning in September, pupils in grades 5-8 will wear polo shirts or sweat shirts bearing the school emblem, and modest pants or skirts.

In prekindergarten through fourth grade, a voluntary dress code has been in effect for two years: plaid jumpers for girls and navy blue pants and white button-down shirts for boys. Next year, that also will be mandatory.

A federal grant will cut the cost for families to less than $5 for a shirt and less than $8 for a jumper.

The Buffalo Board of Education recently voted 9-0 to approve that plan and to name Highgate Heights a "Student Spirit School."

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...26/1006142.asp

First, I like the uniform idea. It eliminates the "who's wearing what" distraction and frees up some brain cells for learning.

Second, Federal grants for school clothes? Why, did the students used to come to school naked? I doubt it, which means their parents were buying clothing for them anyway, probably at greater cost than the uniforms.
    Linda
    ==========================

I don't want to move, I want to make a difference.

I hope it gets implimented in all of the schools.

Why, did the students used to come to school naked?

The basic uniform (single) outfit costs about $30 per student (shoes included). For multiple outfits it costs less because shoes don't have be purchased more than once.

moonshine
    Now if we can just get the little disrespectful bastards to start goose-steppin' in unison we'll be rockin'.

nice choice of words moonshine.

Originally posted by Night Owl
    I hope it gets implimented in all of the schools.

Why, did the students used to come to school naked?

The basic uniform (single) outfit costs about $30 per student (shoes included). For multiple outfits it costs less because shoes don't have be purchased more than once.
    Is that cost before or after the federal money?

Have you seen the cost of kids clothing? It isn't any more expensive to buy uniform items than it is to buy a pair of jeans and a shirt. The uniforms would actually be cheaper in that you wouldn't need to buy as many pieces.
    Linda
    ==========================

I don't want to move, I want to make a difference.

I can't say the uniforms are a bad thing either. The last priority of our children now is education. I pick my kids up from a Ken-Ton school almost everyday(thats a whole other gripe) and I have trouble remembering if I'm at the school or I'm down on Chippewa. Why have student rules for dress if we aren't going to enforce them? With a uniform, there is no confusion.

Thread Information