Thread: BUFFALO CENTRAL TERMINAL ART DECO LIGHT FIXTURE at 1stdibs

Tony Fracasso - Admin

BUFFALO CENTRAL TERMINAL ART DECO LIGHT FIXTURE at 1stdibs

BUFFALO CENTRAL TERMINAL ART DECO LIGHT FIXTURE at 1stdibs

Buffalo Central Terminal Art Deco light

I saw this on facebook.

BUFFALO CENTRAL TERMINAL ART DECO LIGHT FIXTURE
    USA
    Monumental light fixture from the Buffalo Central Terminal designed by Alfred Fellheimer and Steward Wagner. The light fixtures in the Terminal were described by a contemporary critic "light faceted as crystal"

Price

Condition*
    Vintage. Call for further information.

Measurements
    height: 21"
    depth: 21"
    width/length: 21"

Specifications
    Number of items: 1
    Materials/Techniques: Silvered bronze/Frosted glass
    Creator: Alfred Fellheimer and Steward Wagner

Photography
    provided by 1stdibs

613 King Street West
    Toronto, ON, M5V1M5
    Phone: 416-504-3956
    E-Mail: robertonavarro@sympatico.ca

Ref. : 1008278754100

Marilyn Rodgers The current owner has lowered the price for the Terminal ONLY to $3,000.

I commented "how about we ask them to hold it and raise the money to buy it. I'll chip in the first $100 bucks..."

Do you think $3000 could be raised with donations?

Sorry - but maybe the preservation society should be contacted. Personally if I was going to buy this or help buy it - I'd like to know how this person acquired it? Many items were removed without permission over the years.

Having worked with the BFD for over 25 years - you wouldn't believe how many times we went their and I can only imagine how many times the Buff PD responded there.

The current owner should donate it back if no clear bill of sale can be produced.

That said - if you want you can set up a PAYPAL site link for donations. That way anyone who cares to can just click and donate. If this fund drive goes forward - count me in for $25.00. -

Good Luck
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Let just get the fixture and be happy. I'm pretty sure there will not be a paper trail of how they ended up with this item.

A call was made to the dealer and I guess $3000 is the set price.

next step is what would be the easiest way to pick it up and get it here after the $3000 is raised.

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    Sorry - but maybe the preservation society should be contacted. Personally if I was going to buy this or help buy it - I'd like to know how this person acquired it? Many items were removed without permission over the years.
    While many items were taken without permission many were sold by one of the prior owners and unfortunately it is near impossible to establish which happened to any particular artifact.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

As far as we know, all the art deco fixtures were sold off by Thomas Telesco. So while it's unfortunate that they're no longer with us, they were sold legally.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    How many of the fixtures do you think were produced for the Terminal?

Of this particular style - 10 at least. These lined the concourse on the small wall pedestals - http://www.flickr.com/photos/buffalo...57605316894779

SolarEclipse - do you know if they are going to try to get one and then reproduce or replicate the rest?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    SolarEclipse - do you know if they are going to try to get one and then reproduce or replicate the rest?
    Why not just track down as many as you can and buy them back?

Wouldn't a tourist rather see the original item instead of a copy of an original item?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarEclipse View Post
    As far as we know, all the art deco fixtures were sold off by Thomas Telesco. So while it's unfortunate that they're no longer with us, they were sold legally.
    I was skimming and saw something about a restaurant in Japan having one or some of the cool fixtures.... anyone know who they are?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I was skimming and saw something about a restaurant in Japan having one or some of the cool fixtures.... anyone know who they are?
    Cafe Deco in Hong Kong. And to answer 300miles question - we actually have a good set of photos and measurements and some seed funding to begin reproductions.

Having original fixtures back is always nice, but our primary concern is saving the building and our funding must be directed towards that. If we don't save the building then all we have left are a few artifacts.

Why not just track down as many as you can and buy them back?

Wouldn't a tourist rather see the original item instead of a copy of an original item?
    Yes but I was thinking along the lines of affordability, and the reality that they would never be able to purchase all of them anyway. I'm sure many aren't even for sale or were destroyed.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarEclipse View Post
    Cafe Deco in Hong Kong. And to answer 300miles question - we actually have a good set of photos and measurements and some seed funding to begin reproductions.

Having original fixtures back is always nice, but our primary concern is saving the building and our funding must be directed towards that. If we don't save the building then all we have left are a few artifacts.
    Anyone point blank ask how much they would sell the original for so it can go back to the terminal?

smalllamp03

largelamp19

hugereproduction

Cafe Deco was not interested in selling them back to us, however they made a number of reproductions and gave us the contact info for their reproducer (in China). It wasn't a priority for us, so we opted to wait until now and work on our own reproductions with donated labor.

The third photo is not an original Central Terminal fixture, it's a new piece based off the same design.

Derek

Anyone point blank ask how much they would sell the original for so it can go back to the terminal?

smalllamp03

largelamp19

hugereproduction

As someone who has been a chandelier maker 1st class in the ibew, $3000 for a handcrafted fixture like those is a deal. I gave the ctrc board a rough estimate a few years ago for the wall sconces. Handcrafted light fixtures are costly. But getting one to copy directly is probably less than redeveloping the entire piece. Unfortunately there is no cheap way forward.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information