Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Highway Superintendent Jim Connolly Resignes!

Unregistered

Highway Superintendent Jim Connolly Resignes!

Jim Connolly submitted his resignation as of January 9th 2009. Thought you would like to read it here first.

Isn't it amazing that, just after complaining that he has been underfunded for more that a dozen years, Jim resigns? Did the questions about hearing no complaints under the all Democratic Board caused him grief?

Could it be that, other than a few letters to the Sun written as directed, no one really believed him? Did the people see that his accusations were really just political grandstanding?

Could it be that the graphs shown at the budget hearings showing annual increases in funding, even more under Supervisor Walters, made him cringe and reconsider? Did the facts really matter now - wild accusations about public safety no longer work!

Could it be that, when quizzed by the Supervisor and Tom Best, he couldn't answer simple questions in public caused him anxiety?

Could it be that the spectre of having to justify his expenditures was more than he wanted to face?

Or was he just tired and wanted a change?

It really doesn't matter at this point. What does matter is where do we go from here?

Could it be that after 26 yrs of elected public service he just didn't want to deal with a couple of yahoo's questioning his every move? Apparently the voters of Hamburg have been satisfied with his performance. Not that it matters much to the gang of 2.

Could it be that the writing was on the wall that Best and Walters were going to do everything in their power to make his life miserable so that Best could be appointed to the $95k job as highway super and therefore agree not to run against Walters for Super?

Could it be that maybe retiring instead of being questioned by an attorney and a cop about how much salt per foot to put down sounded more appealing to him?

So now taxpayers will pay for his retirement and a new person to fill his position - nice job guys!

If Best gets the appt you'll know I'm right. This one has been in the works for a long time.

What about Jim?

And Jim Sorrentino looks like **** because Connolly (a DEM) retires mid-term and will be replaced by a REP! If Connolly would have waited, Sorrentino could have tried to win another Council seat and then a DEM could replace Connolly. But then again, Sorrentino has absolutely NO machine left in Hamburg. What a shame. When Kesner and Quatroche retire he'll have nothing left.
    Fully stimulated...

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by knowsitall View Post
    And Jim Sorrentino looks like **** because Connolly (a DEM) retires mid-term and will be replaced by a REP! If Connolly would have waited, Sorrentino could have tried to win another Council seat and then a DEM could replace Connolly. But then again, Sorrentino has absolutely NO machine left in Hamburg. What a shame. When Kesner and Quatroche retire he'll have nothing left.
    Your wish may come true sooner than later. I'm told that Kesner isn't running this year and her husband is in very bad shape. I like Carmen a lot and hope he recovers completely. I'm also told that Quatroche isn't planning to run again either. That leaves 3 open seats if Tom Best moves to Highway.

I think this is the perfect opportunity for a cross endorsement of an IP member in Hamburg for the Town Council and I'm working very hard to make that a reality. And No, I'm not planning a run at the Town Council, at least not yet.

I herd that Jeremey Rozen may run for a seat.He works for Bob Renyolds.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Could it be that after 26 yrs of elected public service he just didn't want to deal with a couple of yahoo's questioning his every move? Apparently the voters of Hamburg have been satisfied with his performance. Not that it matters much to the gang of 2.

Could it be that the writing was on the wall that Best and Walters were going to do everything in their power to make his life miserable so that Best could be appointed to the $95k job as highway super and therefore agree not to run against Walters for Super?

Could it be that maybe retiring instead of being questioned by an attorney and a cop about how much salt per foot to put down sounded more appealing to him?

So now taxpayers will pay for his retirement and a new person to fill his position - nice job guys!

If Best gets the appt you'll know I'm right. This one has been in the works for a long time.

That is just what I thought. Maybe it's just time for some new people and maybe someone who isn't related to anyone. It's always the same names and faces and everything just stays the same..I thought more of Walters..I voted for him when I lived in Hamburg.

Quote Originally Posted by FJB View Post
    And No, I'm not planning a run at the Town Council, at least not yet.
    Don't you have to take care of your legal issues first...
    Personally I would never vote for a person who threatens a family member and said "it is protected speach"...yea thats what i want for an elected official another person with no morals...

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by geo_wny View Post
    Don't you have to take care of your legal issues first...
    Personally I would never vote for a person who threatens a family member and said "it is protected speach"...yea thats what i want for an elected official another person with no morals...
    Good thing you don't know the first thing about my so called legal issues. I'm sure I wouldn't get your vote anyway.

More likely he saw the finalized agenda for the last meeting of the year regarding the audit & decided to quit. The agenda was finalized on Friday (12/26) & he announced his retirement on 12/26. Coincidence?

News flash! Walters & Best were only requiring him to be accountable, that is their job. His complaints about underfunding were soundly discredited (and remember he also attacked underfunding by the all Democrat Board as well). P.S. the Highway Chief makes 78K not 95K. At least get your facts straight before you try to "spin" them.

Could it be that he didn't like being questioned about anything? Why didn't he know the answer to a basic question? He complained about underfunding for salt - at least he could know how much he uses. And just remember, when the Board was all Democrat, he was questioned by a bar tender and another life time tax eater. Personally, an attorney and a cop sound better to me especially when they are asking real questions.

Taxpayers have to fund his pension from a lifetime of tax eating jobs no matter when he retires.

Yes, Tom has expressed an interest in the Highway Supt. job for years, even before he ran for Town Board. The only way he can get the appointment is if the Democrats on the Board agree so, if he does, does your conspiracy include them as well? Come on! Try to find hidden conspiracies some where else for a change!

Quote Originally Posted by JustMakeSensePlease View Post
    That is just what I thought. Maybe it's just time for some new people and maybe someone who isn't related to anyone. It's always the same names and faces and everything just stays the same..I thought more of Walters..I voted for him when I lived in Hamburg.
    The you should be very please with him! He was elected to question the status quo and change Hamburg for the better. That exactly what he is doing - what he was elected to do!

Little defensive aren't you voter? What, it's ok for you to malign a person who was elected by the voters 5, 6, 7? times, questioning his motives, impugning his integrity but no one can question your good buddy?

Jim probably learned all about grandstanding to the media from the Super, lest we forget the press conference about the HUGE tax increase facing Hamburg, implying how the previous administration had been mis-managing the town, etc, all because he didn't know how to read a balance sheet.

So let me guess, you think it is fine for the Super to get a new gas guzzling SUV and a 4% increase? There hadn't been an increase since 1996, I think, but you think it in the best interest of the taxpayers to give themselves a raise? Stop making it a dem vs rep issue. Something is either good for the taxpayers or it's not. I don't care what party they are with.

Explanation please?

How exactly does a retired police officer become qualified to be a Highway Supt.? And how will he be able to collect his pension? If he gives up his pension to collect another salary he's a fool. Or will he apply for a waiver, which is just plain wrong.
    Fully stimulated...

Quote Originally Posted by knowsitall View Post
    How exactly does a retired police officer become qualified to be a Highway Supt.?
    And what made Mr Connolly qualified? His time at Golddome Bank? His time at the Water Authority?

The only real qualification for the job is the ability to organize and a vision for what might be... the rest is just fodder for campaign flyers.
    Last edited by HamburgVoter; January 1st, 2009 at 10:42 PM.

Jim probably learned all about grandstanding to the media from the Super, lest we forget the press conference about the HUGE tax increase facing Hamburg, implying how the previous administration had been mis-managing the town, etc, all because he didn't know how to read a balance sheet.
    Yeah, I remember the spots on the news where Mr Hoak stated the Mr Walters didn't know how to read a balance sheet. Isn't it funny though that the guy who can't read a balance sheet has delivered two flat rate increase budgets. Imagine what he could do if he could actually read the thing!

There hadn't been an increase since 1996
    WRONG! Check the Supervisors salary for the 12 years before Mr Walters took office. Isn't it amazing that there was an increase every year, except in election cycles. The year after the election, the increase was twice the usual. And that was on top of the income from the bar.

Stop making it a dem vs rep issue. Something is either good for the taxpayers or it's not. I don't care what party they are with.
    I am not making this a party issuer, you are! Where were you when the Board was all Democrat? There were no indignant posts about the annual tax increases. Why Now?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information