Thread: Mychajliw vs Shenk

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Mychajliw vs Shenk

Former TV reporter challenges county comptroller

Shenk takes record as appointee to voters amid door-to-door efforts by Mychajliw

BY: Sandra Tan

The race for Erie County comptroller may not sound terribly sexy, but voters should definitely mark it down as one to watch.

The race pits an Army reservist and former town clerk against a well-known television news personality and public relations spokesman.

Appointed Democratic incumbent David J. Shenk has touted his fiscal experience, in-house accomplishments and long military service, while Republican Stefan Mychajliw has promoted his working-class origins, investigative reporting work and commitment to political independence.
    Read the full story in the Buffalo News

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    The News:
    He has been endorsed by the Good Government Club and a dozen unions, and hopes to capitalize on the county’s Democratic enrollment edge in this presidential election year, which traditionally leads to high turnout.

So who is the "Good Government Club"?

Why would a Union endorse who the comptroller is? The comptroller is basically our bean counter. What would that have to do with our unionized employees?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Buffalo News
    As comptroller, he said, he has conducted audits of the County Clerk’s Office, the county’s Medicaid transportation provider, and the Sheriff’s Office. The audits have saved the county hundreds of thousands of dollars, he said.

Examples? If we all remember correctly:

http://markpoloncarz.com/protect-the-taxpayer/

Since taking office in 2006, my staff has issued 22 audits and 32 major reviews and reports of Erie County’s expenditures. These reports and audits have identified over $27 million of potential savings. While this County Executive does not like independent oversight, the people of Erie County have been well served by my efforts to root out waste, fraud and abuse of their tax dollars. As County Executive, I will continue to be Erie County’s taxpayer advocate.
    Yet we are 8 million short under Mark Poloncarz as County Exec.

From here:

http://buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...121019533/1109

Without the tax increase, Poloncarz said, the county would have had to severely cut back on services such as libraries, arts and cultural funding and sheriff’s road patrols to make up for an $8 million deficit that remained after his staff trimmed vacant jobs and other budget lines.

“If we were to try to do $8 million of additional job cuts, it would have destroyed county government as we know it,” Poloncarz said. “Of the services that we control, we would have had to cut into the Parks Department, which is already cut to the bone. We would have had to cut into the Highway Department.”

Here is what I find odd. The small group of people who control the democratic party tell us all the tax cutting/savings they can do but we never see it materialize.

Seeing Mr. Shenk is our current comptroller can he run us a report and show us these savings? Mark and David must have some type of accounting software showing these savings they highlighted while Mark was running for Exec.

yeah, would love to see all the millions in savings balance the current budget. heck, they could fund the culturals with all of their savings and they would be applauded!

On another note, anyone other than me think it stinks that Colonparts hand picked the Erie County Comptroller and the EC Democratic Chairman?

Quote Originally Posted by buffy View Post
    yeah, would love to see all the millions in savings balance the current budget. heck, they could fund the culturals with all of their savings and they would be applauded!

On another note, anyone other than me think it stinks that Colonparts hand picked the Erie County Comptroller and the EC Democratic Chairman?
    Whats gonna stink is when Stefan wins the election, where will Dave land???? With all his financial experience as Comptroller of Erie County, I am sure he is highly qualified to do something.

1) County Job
    2) State Job
    3) Erie County Water Authority
    4) Erie County Sewer Dept.
    5) Board of Elections
    6) Thruway Authority

Take your pick Buffy.
    I never said I had no idea about most of the things you said I said I had no idea about.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakers77 View Post
    Whats gonna stink is when Stefan wins the election, where will Dave land???? With all his financial experience as Comptroller of Erie County, I am sure he is highly qualified to do something.

1) County Job
    2) State Job
    3) Erie County Water Authority
    4) Erie County Sewer Dept.
    5) Board of Elections
    6) Thruway Authority

Take your pick Buffy.

He should go back being the Clerk where he really has the experience. Right? That is what he was before this?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    He should go back being the Clerk where he really has the experience. Right? That is what he was before this?
    That ship sailed when he resigned the position. The young lady that took his position is endorsed by 4 parties and has no opponent. She will the town clerk for the next 3 years.

Like I said, take your pick.
    I never said I had no idea about most of the things you said I said I had no idea about.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakers77 View Post
    That ship sailed when he resigned the position. The young lady that took his position is endorsed by 4 parties and has no opponent. She will the town clerk for the next 3 years.

Like I said, take your pick.
    But of the two who would be the better choice? 3 years goes by fast.

Thread Information