Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Erie County Sheriffs High speed chase!

Erie County Sheriffs High speed chase!

Last night June 10th around 7:00pm an EC Sheriff patrol car, driven by Deputy Sheriff Ken Hetey, hit a tree while pursuing a motorcycle on Crump Rd. in the town of Colden. He was pursuing the motorcycle for a speeding violation.
    The Sheriff is in critical condition.

It is believed by many who where listening to the police scanners that evening that deputy Hetey was told by dispatch to back off from the pursuit three times. Hetey did not and now remains in ECMC hospital.
    Crump Rd is a winding, rolling road in the town of Colden. Max rate of speed on this road is no more than 50 mph to be able to maintain control of your vehicle. Evidence at the scene indicates that Heteys' vehicle was traveling well in excess of this speed limit and could have reach limits of over 100mph. Heteys' vehicle went airborn , came down and slide sideways approxiamately 300 feet. Through personal property and finally striking a tree.
    After a conversation with the home and land owner of the property that was damaged, it has been learned that the EC Sheriffs Dept. did not and will not investigtate this accident until Monday June 13th somewhere before or around 5:00pm.

This is a crime scene and should have been investigated immediately and without hesitation. The scene has since become contaminated by owners of the property and locale passer-bys.

These roads are walked frequently by the owners of homes in the area and ridden by bicycles and horseback riders. That would include adults, children, animals and other vehicles.

Why did the Sheriff refuse to end persuit?
    Why would a Sheriff create a high speed chase to write a speeding ticket? That would only be reduced later to a parking ticket?
    Why did EC sheriffs Dept. refuse to investigate the scene?

It is time to end the practice of high speed chases by law enforcement before your family is hurt or killed by a chase like this.

Not to mention the grief the family of this officer must feel at this time. I do pray for his health.

Re: Erie County Sheriffs High speed chase!

Originally posted by LHardy

Why did the Sheriff refuse to end persuit?
    Why would a Sheriff create a high speed chase to write a speeding ticket? That would only be reduced later to a parking ticket?
    Why did EC sheriffs Dept. refuse to investigate the scene?

It is time to end the practice of high speed chases by law enforcement before your family is hurt or killed by a chase like this.

Not to mention the grief the family of this officer must feel at this time. I do pray for his health. [/B]
    Good questions L. Hardy and I agree strongly with you. Many of the "professional" departments across the country have instituted very strict NO CHASE policies. Officers who do not comply receive time off WITHOUT PAY.
    But let me slap you back into reality.... THIS IS NEW YORK.... remember we are at the bottom of the list for everything. Why would we expect our "law enforcement" to evolve any time soon.

I too feel for this officer and his family. It disturbs me to hear things like this.

Thumbs down

I wasn't going to reply to this topic, but I can't stand it anymore! I have posted before about the Sheriffs Dept. and no one listened. I've come to the realization that the general public does not know, nor do they care what goes on unless it concerns them personally. Of course the Dept. will not investigate until Monday, their excuse will be that they did not have the manpower. If you are in the "inner circle" you will be protected. There have been at least two suicides at the holding center in the last two months and not a word in the Buffalo "snews". It was kept quiet, like a bunch of other things. Union or no union, contract or not, the Dept. is breaking labor law, concerning overtime and lying to the media every chance they get. The road patrol is not and never has been mandated in the County Charter, they were a courtesy to the County. In this current budget situation, can we still afford this "courtesy" that thinks they are above the law?

who cares

if two losers killed themselves at the Holding Center, or any State jail. The world is a better place without them. If they don't care about their life, why should I. As far as the Deputy chasing the guy, does that mean I can go as fast as my car can go, and I can't be pursued by Police ? Yea, right. I'll use that as a defense next time I top out my car on the 219.. " your honor , I shouldn't have been stopped because the Cops aren't allowed to chase me. There is no way they could have caught up to me if they had to break the speed limit..." Not Guilty.... lets look into the Cops actions....what a joke. Lax, liberal thinking like that is what is wrong with this permissive society. Deflecting the blame of one's actions has made the legal system a joke. Taking responsibility for your own actions is a thing of the past. How sad is that ?

Treeguy:

It is not condoning the actions of the speeding biker that are here for objection by me. Nor is breaking the law.
    What is in question is the use of a high speed chase for a speeding violation that is the problem.
    Speeding down a 4 - lane highway also is not the same as speeding through a residential area. I'm sure you would have felt the way you do if your family member was run over and killed by the officer.
    Would you say...
    " I feel bad that you've killed my child chasing that speeding vehicle to write them a ticket but I'm so glad you caught them!"
    That is the kind of thinking that gets innocent people killed.
    There is not one logical defense for high speed chases today. No one can out run a radio. They also have cameras in most every cruser.
    BTW - I am not even close to being a Liberal. Ask anyone who knows me. I am mostly conservative on the issues.

So I quess the cop needs to be held responsible for his actions also?
    Or are you saying they are above the law themselves?
    How does one enforce the laws they themselves don't obey?

Now! How sad is that?

+++ WARNING! WARNING! +++
    Treeguy Makes Peculiar Statements

Right off the bat, Treeguy implies that he knows that individuals in the Holding Center are "losers". How on earth does he know that? Possibly, with the aid of Treeguy's definition of a loser, we'll all understand this oddball implication. Dopes one *become* a loser as one passes the threshhold of the Holding Center? Or, does one have to be there for some defined lapse of time? Does Treeguy presume that merely being detained in the holding center one is clearly guilty even before trial? - - and it is that presumed guilt that makes one a "loser"? What a silly comment from Treeguy.

Then Treeguy goes on to imply that the Sheriff's patrollers should not have their hands tied by having to utilize common sense. Apparently, screaming through any environment/condition to apprehend a suspected lawbreaker of any degree is acceptable in Treeguy's world. Obviously, in the case cited in this thread, the Sheriff got himself in over his head. He lost control of his own activity. Are we to assume that Treeguy finds nothing wrong or questionable about that? How far would Treeguy go to catch a speeding motorcycle? -- -- Arial pursuit with weapons in a residential neighborhood? How about it Treeguy, next time a kid revs his 'Stang up or down your street for a moment or two, let's say we call out the National Guard with artillery... after all, the kid is speeding and we don't want to obstruct law enforcement. What silly comments from Treeguy.

OH Yeah, it's been my experience that Sheriff's deputies do on many occasions consider themsdelves above the law. Remember when I posted in this forum about the Sheriff that was seen at his personal used car lot on Bailey Avenue with Sheriff's cars. Thise Sheriff's need a slap of reality, like a bunch of other public employees.

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Thumbs up

OH Yeah, it's been my experience that Sheriff's deputies do on many occasions consider themsdelves above the law. Remember when I posted in this forum about the Sheriff that was seen at his personal used car lot on Bailey Avenue with Sheriff's cars. Thise Sheriff's need a slap of reality, like a bunch of other public employees.
    two thumbs up

Suicide=loser. If they choose to kill themselves f-em. Let them die. LHardy, I think there are more important crime scenes to investigate, rather than a property damage accident. Noone got hurt except the deputy. Crump road is far from a residential area. I want the bad guy to get caught and pay for his actions. It isn't the fault of the Deputy who is doing his job and lost control of his car. At what point do you not follow ? If a persons shoots someone and gets in a car, should the Cops not pursue because it will endanger the public ? Should they not shoot back because they might hit a bystander ? Just happened in Bflo. How can you second guess that Cop ? He was under fire. I don't like to armchair when it comes to that line of work. It is too easy to sit back and say this or that should have been done. You weren't there, so it would be ignorant for you to comment on it.

Ignorant of me?
    No ignorant of you!
    This is my back yard jack so unless your my nieghbor you don't know jack. Crump Rd is residential. Families and children and animals and bikers and joggers and walkers. Old people, young people. Houses and cars. You abviously don't know Crump Rd. and the surrounding roads!

The cop was wrong no matter how you want to spin it!
    A bad guy uh? Speeding makes him such a criminal to society. I really hope you are not licensed to carry a gun becuase you would be dangerous.

The cop was wrong when told not to continue the pursuit. By doing so he broke the law. Oh that's right in your mind cops are above the law!

This is a crime scene when an officer in pursuit, of anyone for any reason, has an accident. Property damage or not. It is the LAW!
    What if the cop had died becuase of his reckless behavior? What if he killed my son who rides Crump Rd. on his bike everyday?
    You better wake up from whatever dulusion your having.
    Wrong is wrong. COP or not!
    Boy for someone who wants to put everyone who breaks the law in jail, I can't believe you are not shouting for the cops head on a plate. FOR BREAKING THE LAW!

Treeguy a cop?

Treeguy, are you a cop or have a family member thats a cop??

Listen, cops have a tough job, but, they picked it. No sympathy here.

Your comments are way off base...
    Losers/suicide??
    Speeding ticket vs. shooting...Different animals...

Please explain where you are coming from.
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

Yea, I think someone that commits suicide is a loser, and I know a few that have. Too bad for them. No sympathy here. And as far as not chasing speeders, so anyone with a warrant should just try their luck at running from the Cops, and that will be the end of it. I don't know about you, but I'm not trying to run from the Cops, Im pullin over when they get behind me. Call me stupid. You don't know what or if that guy was wanted for. Thats why I don't blame the Cop for chasing him, or anyone for that matter. I'm not a Cop but have taken a few tests and would take the job if offered. My take is that a law abiding, common sense citizen would pull his vehicle over when a Police car has his lights on. On the flip side, should Cops not pursue, or go after a guy who has broken the law ? I mean, the Cop could get hurt. Should he bury his head in the sand and pretend not to see things so he won't put his own life/safety in jeaopardy ? ------------------------------

Treeguy:

One last question.
    Are cops above the LAW?

realistically, yea sometimes

I'd have to say yea, at times they are above the law. Lets be realistic. How many Cops get speeding tickets ? None that I've ever heard of. While there may be instances I'm sure it isn't very common. Can a Cop go hold up a bank , and because he is a Cop not get prosecuted...No. So to simplify your point by asking a bland question doesn't really get to the root of this issue. You are angry that the Cop that chased the guy on a motorcycle and piled up his car isn't going to get prosecuted. What are you going to give him a ticket for, imprudent speed ? I think the guy has paid deeply enough already for trying to apprehend this guy on the motorcycle, I think he is in fair condition. You seem to not like Cops, so be it.

Originally posted by |- Amherst Stakeholder -|
    Treeguy Makes Peculiar Statements

Right off the bat, Treeguy implies that he knows that individuals in the Holding Center are "losers". How on earth does he know that? Possibly, with the aid of Treeguy's definition of a loser, we'll all understand this oddball implication. Dopes one *become* a loser as one passes the threshhold of the Holding Center? Or, does one have to be there for some defined lapse of time? Does Treeguy presume that merely being detained in the holding center one is clearly guilty even before trial? - - and it is that presumed guilt that makes one a "loser"? What a silly comment from Treeguy.

Then Treeguy goes on to imply that the Sheriff's patrollers should not have their hands tied by having to utilize common sense. Apparently, screaming through any environment/condition to apprehend a suspected lawbreaker of any degree is acceptable in Treeguy's world. Obviously, in the case cited in this thread, the Sheriff got himself in over his head. He lost control of his own activity. Are we to assume that Treeguy finds nothing wrong or questionable about that? How far would Treeguy go to catch a speeding motorcycle? -- -- Arial pursuit with weapons in a residential neighborhood? How about it Treeguy, next time a kid revs his 'Stang up or down your street for a moment or two, let's say we call out the National Guard with artillery... after all, the kid is speeding and we don't want to obstruct law enforcement. What silly comments from Treeguy.

So, then you believe that people at the holding center are "winners"?

You seem to not like Cops, so be it.

No that is not true at all. I have friends and family who are in law enforcement.
    I just have no tolerance for cops that are over the top and have a militaristic attitude towards the people they serve.
    Do cops have a tough job? Sure they do but so do many other people.
    If you feel cops are above the law, it is a good thing you are not a cop.
    This country is not a police state. Well except for NY.
    Remeber it's the LAW!
    Oh except for the cops, they don't need no stinking laws.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information