Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preservationists are at it again...

Preservationists are at it again...

Savarino Companies announced a new residential project on the Buffalo River in the First Ward.

Read that again....slowly to let it sink in. Of course the usual debate ensued here and here.

So what say you?

Is this a structure worth saving, regardless of reuse potential or return on investment? Or is this progress in an area that has seen better days?

I get the argument that buildings should not be torn down for parking lots. I get the argument that things that can not be built again today should be saved. But in my honest opinion, this is something that normal cities move forward on. This is something that preservation groups should not dig in their heels on as there are many more buildings to be saved that actually can be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    Savarino Companies announced a new residential project on the Buffalo River in the First Ward.

Read that again....slowly to let it sink in. Of course the usual debate ensued here and here.

So what say you?

Is this a structure worth saving, regardless of reuse potential or return on investment? Or is this progress in an area that has seen better days?

I get the argument that buildings should not be torn down for parking lots. I get the argument that things that can not be built again today should be saved. But in my honest opinion, this is something that normal cities move forward on. This is something that preservation groups should not dig in their heels on as there are many more buildings to be saved that actually can be saved.
    Yes all historic buildings need to be saved because people will come from miles around to see them and spend money here. Just like they do now....

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    Yes all historic buildings need to be saved because people will come from miles around to see them and spend money here. Just like they do now....
    To be fair, people do come to see the Martin House. Also, some buildings have has amazing restorations.

I guess I see this is a challenge for the preservation community in that if they fight over everything...people are just going to view them as the people who fight over everything.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Knock it down and build the new apartments.

These photos were from here

http://www.buffalorising.com/2012/10...io-street.html

To be fair, people do come to see the Martin House. Also, some buildings have has amazing restorations.

I guess I see this is a challenge for the preservation community in that if they fight over everything...people are just going to view them as the people who fight over everything.
    Yes some people come to see these structures. In my opinion preservationists are not a balanced group they clamor for saving buildings file lawsuits, etc. In more cases than not they are obstructionist again in my opinion. The only architecture that attracts people and creates an economy is the stuff made of steel, fiberglass and plastic.. read Vegas or Disney. Yes this stuff is nice for posterity but I think we have enough of that and not enough progress as you are very well aware.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Knock it down and build the new apartments.
    I think that in at the end of the day the property will be converted.

What I would like to see is this structure being deconstructed. It would take some extra time but would allow for a deep inspection of the structure.

If you just demo it, the preservationists can always say.. "it could have been saved" but if you deconstruct it, you can have an honest conversation about that.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    We are talking about the building that is in the photos I posted?

De-constructing it is totally acceptable.

It's steel shed and just because it is a big steel shed everyone talks like its special. any other city would have torn it down and replaced it in the 1920's but not Buffalo this place is afraid to change anything
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Freight House

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Freight House

Posh apartment complex...lulzy.

Tim Tielman is a jackass. The notion that Ohio Street is going to become 'something' by preserving old industrial buildings that have been condemned is a prime example of what's wrong with development in Buffalo.

Posh apartment complex...lulzy.

Tim Tielman is a jackass. The notion that Ohio Street is going to become 'something' by preserving old industrial buildings that have been condemned is a prime example of what's wrong with development in Buffalo.
    Exactly,,,

The only has beens that people flock to see would be a colisseum or gettysberg. . Unless someone puts entertainment and a hooters on Ohio st

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    In this case I agree with lefty. I skim another website and it was mentioned how "beautiful" the inside of this building is. What part of the freight house in that video are they referring to?

I love history and even so why is Tim wasting anyone's time on this?

As someone who actually lived in this neighborhood for 30 years I want to boldly say that people like this Tim Tielmen are no better than communists when they pull stunts as this on property such as this. Who is he and his group to say what a PROPERTY OWNER CAN do with HIS own property? If his group wanted to do something with the building THEY should have purchased it.

Oh wait, I forgot, we do not own property in America, that is one of the biggest scams on the society by government. Property ownership rights proves America is no longer free and matter of fact has NEVER BEEN in this aspect. Remembering the Sioux~!

When it comes to property ownership in America, America is a communist nation. Going down to their shake down unit right now at 25 Delaware to get ripped off for $50 for a simple note made on my deed.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

These people lie.

Take a look at the attached map. It's from the preservationists trying to sell Ohio Street as the next historic corridor or some BS. Now only reviewing it for a couple of minutes I found two lies.

1 - It lists the DL&W Terminal. This is not correct. What is left is the DL&W train shed. The terminal was demolished years ago. see here and here

2 - It lists St. James Hall as the location for President Lincoln lying in state in Buffalo. This is also not correct. St. James Hall WAS, as in FORMERLY, located at the site of M&T Plaza. see here and here

The funny thing is in 23 comments of people on BRO having a circle jerk on the subject..not one of the pro preservationists picked up on this.

Even better is the group of people they assembled to try and paint the picture that they represent the First Ward.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Design-Circuit-Buffalo-Rising-3.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	3846

Robert Shibley, Dean UB School of Architecture - Moderator
    Sam Hoyt, ECHDC - Panelist
    Mark Goldman, Community Leader - Panelist
    Mike Puma, Buffalo Rising - Panelist
    Chris Hawley, Historian - Panelist
    William Haskas, HD Systems Design - Panelist

When Peggy Overdorf is on the list I will be interested. She is one of the driving forces of renewal in the area.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information