Thread: Erie County Comptroller candidate Mychajliw

Erie County Comptroller candidate Mychajliw

Mychajliw’s First Audit: County Hiring PracticesPromises to conduct a “top to bottom” audit of all hiring practices As Erie County Comptroller
    (Buffalo) –Stefan Mychajliw, candidate for Erie County Comptroller, today announced that after elected, his first order of business will be a sweeping, top to bottom review of all County hiring practices, including at County Hall, the Water Authority, and Board of Elections.
    “In 20 years as an investigative journalist, I’ve seen firsthand how the ‘friends and family’ plan led to patronage, corruption, and a broken government. As County Comptroller, my first order of business will be to root out this kind of patronage. People should be hired because of what they know, not who they know. I helped put an end to the ‘friends and family plan’ once as an investigative reporter. I will make sure this type of patronage doesn’t come back, for good this time,” said Mychajliw.
    A new round of patronage hires has taken place at the Erie County Water Authority by both parties. The Water Authority, along with other county entities, is subject to audit by the Office of the Comptroller, who can issue reports and recommendations to improve the hiring and personnel practices.
    “Under my watch, all job applicants, regardless of who they know, will have a fair shot at having the privilege of serving taxpayers as a county employee. Job openings will be shared in an open, honest, and transparent way and we will make sure that qualifications, not connections, are the reason anyone begins a career in county government,” added Mychajliw.
    Mychajliw also proposed a series of new, pro-active initiatives in which Erie County government can promote open positions, upcoming civil service exams, and how people can access the necessary tools to study for them:
    • Maximize social media to share job information
    • Facebook: ErieCounty Works
    • Twitter: @eriecountyworks
    • Create an independent website, www.eriecountyworks.com, to post job openings and upcoming civil service exams
    • Collaborate with websites of local media, newspapers, television and radio stations to promote www.eriecountyworks.com
    • Schedule regular meetings with the Erie County Comptroller and his staff with block clubs, community centers, churches, area colleges and universities, and local job fairs to increase participation in civil service exams
    “My plan is to create a lean and efficient workforce by hiring only the best and brightest Erie County has to offer. Taxpayers can’t afford to foot the bill for jobs the county budget can’t support and for political favors that need to be cashed in. This is why we need an independent watchdog that will hold the County Executive accountable. While the previous comptroller audited volunteer fire companies, parking spaces, and swipe cards, I will root out patronage and hold politicians of both parties accountable. This top to bottom type of audit should have been done years ago,” concluded Mychajliw.

http://www.votestefan.com/mychajliws...ing-practices/

Georgia L Schlager

an Audit Plan needed and have it based on Risk Analysis- no matter who the comptroller might be and file it with the legislature

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack View Post
    an Audit Plan needed and have it based on Risk Analysis- no matter who the comptroller might be and file it with the legislature
    Woulda coulda shouda

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here... has the legislature ever benefited from job placement at the ECWA?

Stefan the King of Monday morning quarterbacks. If he wins we will see how quickly he gets all the things done he has promised. This job of comptroller requires that it be done professionally and the time spent by the staff should be determined by risk management not by what just happened yesterday for media attention. But with him only running for the position and not having to run the department while running for the position like his opponent, he does not have to deal with the reality of day to day operation. He comes from the media so I guess being an action reporter is in his blood but I am not sure having a guy who has made a living on shock value is the best choice here, but we will have to see in November what the voters think.
    Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Mychajliw’s First Audit: County Hiring PracticesPromises to conduct a “top to bottom” audit of all hiring practices As Erie County Comptroller
    (Buffalo) –Stefan Mychajliw, candidate for Erie County Comptroller, today announced that after elected, his first order of business will be a sweeping, top to bottom review of all County hiring practices, including at County Hall, the Water Authority, and Board of Elections.
    “In 20 years as an investigative journalist, I’ve seen firsthand how the ‘friends and family’ plan led to patronage, corruption, and a broken government. As County Comptroller, my first order of business will be to root out this kind of patronage. People should be hired because of what they know, not who they know. I helped put an end to the ‘friends and family plan’ once as an investigative reporter. I will make sure this type of patronage doesn’t come back, for good this time,” said Mychajliw.
    A new round of patronage hires has taken place at the Erie County Water Authority by both parties. The Water Authority, along with other county entities, is subject to audit by the Office of the Comptroller, who can issue reports and recommendations to improve the hiring and personnel practices.
    “Under my watch, all job applicants, regardless of who they know, will have a fair shot at having the privilege of serving taxpayers as a county employee. Job openings will be shared in an open, honest, and transparent way and we will make sure that qualifications, not connections, are the reason anyone begins a career in county government,” added Mychajliw.
    Mychajliw also proposed a series of new, pro-active initiatives in which Erie County government can promote open positions, upcoming civil service exams, and how people can access the necessary tools to study for them:
    • Maximize social media to share job information
    • Facebook: ErieCounty Works
    • Twitter: @eriecountyworks
    • Create an independent website, www.eriecountyworks.com, to post job openings and upcoming civil service exams
    • Collaborate with websites of local media, newspapers, television and radio stations to promote www.eriecountyworks.com
    • Schedule regular meetings with the Erie County Comptroller and his staff with block clubs, community centers, churches, area colleges and universities, and local job fairs to increase participation in civil service exams
    “My plan is to create a lean and efficient workforce by hiring only the best and brightest Erie County has to offer. Taxpayers can’t afford to foot the bill for jobs the county budget can’t support and for political favors that need to be cashed in. This is why we need an independent watchdog that will hold the County Executive accountable. While the previous comptroller audited volunteer fire companies, parking spaces, and swipe cards, I will root out patronage and hold politicians of both parties accountable. This top to bottom type of audit should have been done years ago,” concluded Mychajliw.

http://www.votestefan.com/mychajliws...ing-practices/

Voters rejected senior accountant Phil Kadet for partisan lawyer Mark Poloncarz for county comptroller, so, I have no confidence at all in voters making intelligent decisions.

Thread Information