Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car disaster.

Car disaster.

So, I'm currently without my beautiful car.

I was driving in the Rochester area last night. Now, lately I've had this slight pinging in the engine when I shift, but it was only slight.

I got the oil changed a few weeks ago. They tested the pressure and everything, said everything was good.

The other day, the ping came back. Then last night, it really started pinging loudly, turning into a knock. I pulled over and checked the oil. I didn't get a very accurate reading, but it looked like it was pretty empty. Weird. So I bought 3 quarts and put it in.

The knocking subsided for a few minutes, but then got even worse. I was driving on the thruway doing about 60. Something fell off the bottom of the car, and there was oil all over the back windshield. Then the car just died.

I tried to start it. It woudn't turn over, but the starter WAS turning the engine, so I'm quite sure the engine isn't seized.
    I had it towed to a gas station where I was better able to look at it. The oil plug flew out of it. I was pretty sure that something bigger fell off though, but maybe i just saw a ton of oil flying out, I don't know.

The plug WAS in when I put the oil in. There was NOTHING leaking out anywhere at all.

The tow truck guy told me if I got the engine flushed when I had the oil changed, that could have caused a clog in the engine. He recommended never flushing the engine until you have high mileage. So now I'm faced with a situation that I might have to go after Valvoline if the engine is no good.

Honestly, I have no idea what happened. Any thoughts? The tow truck operator also mentioned that in some newer cars, if the computer senses a massive drop in oil, it will immediately shut down the car to prevent engine damage. This is a 2005 Ford Escape, so I'm pretty sure it does have a computer system in it.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150 View Post
    So, I'm currently without my beautiful car.

I was driving in the Rochester area last night. Now, lately I've had this slight pinging in the engine when I shift, but it was only slight.

I got the oil changed a few weeks ago. They tested the pressure and everything, said everything was good.

The other day, the ping came back. Then last night, it really started pinging loudly, turning into a knock. I pulled over and checked the oil. I didn't get a very accurate reading, but it looked like it was pretty empty. Weird. So I bought 3 quarts and put it in.

The knocking subsided for a few minutes, but then got even worse. I was driving on the thruway doing about 60. Something fell off the bottom of the car, and there was oil all over the back windshield. Then the car just died.

I tried to start it. It woudn't turn over, but the starter WAS turning the engine, so I'm quite sure the engine isn't seized.
    I had it towed to a gas station where I was better able to look at it. The oil plug flew out of it. I was pretty sure that something bigger fell off though, but maybe i just saw a ton of oil flying out, I don't know.

The plug WAS in when I put the oil in. There was NOTHING leaking out anywhere at all.

The tow truck guy told me if I got the engine flushed when I had the oil changed, that could have caused a clog in the engine. He recommended never flushing the engine until you have high mileage. So now I'm faced with a situation that I might have to go after Valvoline if the engine is no good.

Honestly, I have no idea what happened. Any thoughts? The tow truck operator also mentioned that in some newer cars, if the computer senses a massive drop in oil, it will immediately shut down the car to prevent engine damage. This is a 2005 Ford Escape, so I'm pretty sure it does have a computer system in it.
    Ugh. What an awful mess to deal with, especially at this time of the year.

Was your oil light ever on while this happened?

NEVER EVER 'flush' an engine. It's a big waste of money. You can use a spray bottle to get a fine mist of water into the motor- if it's hot AND you're wide-open-throttle. That'll knock most of the carbon out of the cylinder walls. If anybody needs to do that, let me know. I put 182,000+ on a 4-cylinder Saturn and never once 'flushed' the engine. You don't need it- don't do it!

As for the initial pinging, the octane level in the fuel is suspect. If you bought the right octane, where did you buy the gas?

Regarding the oil change, who did it? How did they 'test' the pressure? If your oil light didn't come on, it was fine and that's not the cause of the problem here. That said, there's a lot of reasons to change your own oil- sorry if I sound preachy but this is one thing you want to do yourself- the worst mechanic in the shop (or the least experienced) is the one that changes oil. Oil change shops and dealerships, IMO, are the worst places to get oil changed.

You usually can't check the oil in a pressurized motor because some or most of the oil is not in the pan, where the dipstick gets it's sample. You need to wait until all the oil 'falls' out of the motor before you can get an accurate reading.

Lots of other possibilities here- my guess is your oil pan got cracked and the oil leaked out. Poke around underneath the motor and see what looks amiss.

Best of luck- keep us posted on where this goes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Ugh. What an awful mess to deal with, especially at this time of the year.

Was your oil light ever on while this happened?

NEVER EVER 'flush' an engine. It's a big waste of money. You can use a spray bottle to get a fine mist of water into the motor- if it's hot AND you're wide-open-throttle. That'll knock most of the carbon out of the cylinder walls. If anybody needs to do that, let me know. I put 182,000+ on a 4-cylinder Saturn and never once 'flushed' the engine. You don't need it- don't do it!

As for the initial pinging, the octane level in the fuel is suspect. If you bought the right octane, where did you buy the gas?

Regarding the oil change, who did it? How did they 'test' the pressure? If your oil light didn't come on, it was fine and that's not the cause of the problem here. That said, there's a lot of reasons to change your own oil- sorry if I sound preachy but this is one thing you want to do yourself- the worst mechanic in the shop (or the least experienced) is the one that changes oil. Oil change shops and dealerships, IMO, are the worst places to get oil changed.

You usually can't check the oil in a pressurized motor because some or most of the oil is not in the pan, where the dipstick gets it's sample. You need to wait until all the oil 'falls' out of the motor before you can get an accurate reading.

Lots of other possibilities here- my guess is your oil pan got cracked and the oil leaked out. Poke around underneath the motor and see what looks amiss.

Best of luck- keep us posted on where this goes.
    The engine is shot. 3 out of 4 pistons gone. I need a new engine.

Know anyone that sells reconditioned Ford engines for cheap?

Engine pinging and knock are addressed by the knock sensors, which adjust ignition timing to accommodate varied octane levels. Knock sensors go bad, but I doubt that it's failure would be responsible for coating your rear window with oil. Engine flushing is unnecessary, unless you've got a '68 Camaro that's been stored for decades.

If Valvoline was involved in recent servicing, then that's probably key to your problem. These places are infamous for incompetence, inferior service and products. Proving they caused the damage is another thing. You'll need a good mechanic, a forensic mechanic if you will, to retrace their footsteps. After obtaining the necessary evidence and a deposition from the mechanic, I'd head to small claims court. Reputable businesses generally don't like the publicity of being dragged into court, but poorly managed ones couldn't care less.

As for a recond. motor, check Craigslist, there are many starving mechanics out there.
    Last edited by ChaneysGotaGun; December 17th, 2008 at 11:59 AM.

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Take it to a dealer and get a quote along with a service shop. Honestly I have had good luck with dealers for the most part. Also have had good luck with small service shops.

OK..the key here is one of two things:

1. The engine or sensing system is defective, or

2. Whoever changed your oild screwed it up.

So, step one is to find out what, exactly, happened. Take it to a reputable place (if there are any) and get an assessment from a guy who is willing to stand by his assessment. If it is the vehicle itself, then there may be a question of warranty. If it is because of a negligent oil change/engine flush, then you will have to go after whomever performed that service.

Either way, you live or die by the assessment.
    "The horror........The horror..........."

Shouldn't that still be under warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    Shouldn't that still be under warranty?
    Engine seizure is not covered under warranty unless I can demonstrate routine oil changes over the last 18 months. There is no way I could prove that, because most of my receipts are gone, and I changed the oil myself a few times.

It actually is looking like my insurance company is going to cover it. They told me it was a comprehensive claim. In fact, they're going to go after Valvoline for the deductible.

And they're sending a rental car to my work at 4:15.

you can get a rebuilt engine pretty much anywhere that does mechanical work,, you can also get a used engine, or you can have your engine rebuilt.

Jaspar is one of the largest suppliers

about 1800-2200

I think I would contact your ford dealer to start dialoque and create a paper trail. You can bet they will be the most expensive for replace/repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    you can get a rebuilt engine pretty much anywhere that does mechanical work,, you can also get a used engine, or you can have your engine rebuilt.

Jaspar is one of the largest suppliers

about 1800-2200

I think I would contact your ford dealer to start dialoque and create a paper trail. You can bet they will be the most expensive for replace/repair.
    The car is at a Ford dealer right now. Estimate was 6000.00 for a new engine, and 4500.00 for a reconditioned one with 22,000 miles on it. That included the labor costs.

However, he isn't sure if the ac compressor was damaged or not, so that would obviously add to the price.

The car is at a Ford dealer right now. Estimate was 6000.00 for a new engine, and 4500.00 for a reconditioned one with 22,000 miles on it. That included the labor costs.

However, he isn't sure if the ac compressor was damaged or not, so that would obviously add to the price.

that's rediculous.. the yellow pages have mechanics that put engines in...

I would be surprised if you got a quote over 2500

I had state farm cover an engine that pulled water into it and bent a rod. They handed me $5500. A new engine only cost 3k and I installed it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    I had state farm cover an engine that pulled water into it and bent a rod. They handed me $5500. A new engine only cost 3k and I installed it myself.
    So its not unheard of for insurance companies to cover this?

He didn't even quote me a Jaspar because he said it would be more than 6 grand.

labor included?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information