Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Car disaster.

Unregistered
    A few years ago, an employee of Valvoline Instant Oil Change was pushing an engine cleaning treatment on me, so I called my mechanic to see how he felt about it.

My mechanic informed me that allowing them to perform this "service" would ultimately cost me hundreds of dollars in engine damages within a few months. I don't recall what he said it would do to the engine, but I trust his opinion and didn't allow them to perform the service.

When I explained what my mechanic, (who's been a mechanic for approximately 30 years,) told me, this 18 to 20-year-old kid told me that my mechanic didn't know what he's talking about.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Take it to a dealer and get a quote along with a service shop. Honestly I have had good luck with dealers for the most part. Also have had good luck with small service shops.
    is it because you offered them a good exposure/advertising/promotions on your sites?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA View Post
    A few years ago, an employee of Valvoline Instant Oil Change was pushing an engine cleaning treatment on me, so I called my mechanic to see how he felt about it.

My mechanic informed me that allowing them to perform this "service" would ultimately cost me hundreds of dollars in engine damages within a few months. I don't recall what he said it would do to the engine, but I trust his opinion and didn't allow them to perform the service.

When I explained what my mechanic, (who's been a mechanic for approximately 30 years,) told me, this 18 to 20-year-old kid told me that my mechanic didn't know what he's talking about.
    I haven't heard a single good thing about Valvoline. I wish I'd have known this BEFORE I took the car there.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150 View Post
    I haven't heard a single good thing about Valvoline. I wish I'd have known this BEFORE I took the car there.
    Even BOCES has students who flunk out.
    ...Now you know where they end up

Rule of Thumb: Stay away from any place of business that includes the moniker "Quick," "Jiffy," or "Fast" in the title.
    This particularly applies to oil change shops and Asian massage parlors.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaneysGotaGun View Post
    Rule of Thumb: Stay away from any place of business that includes the moniker "Quick," "Jiffy," or "Fast" in the title.
    I agree, especially in regards to the "Asian massage parlors."

Not many people want a "Quick," "Jiffy," or "Fast" happy ending.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaneysGotaGun View Post
    You're right. That's why I take my car to Happy Ending Automotive.

Engine seizure is not covered under warranty unless I can demonstrate routine oil changes over the last 18 months. There is no way I could prove that, because most of my receipts are gone, and I changed the oil myself a few times.

It actually is looking like my insurance company is going to cover it. They told me it was a comprehensive claim. In fact, they're going to go after Valvoline for the deductible.

And they're sending a rental car to my work at 4:15.
    Who is your insurance provider? Thats an awesome coverage policy! Even if they bump your rate or cancel your insurance, you made out like a bandit on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLV View Post
    Who is your insurance provider? Thats an awesome coverage policy! Even if they bump your rate or cancel your insurance, you made out like a bandit on this one.
    Geico. But I'm not going to believe it until they actually hand me the check.

You get a check yet? State Farm had mine out in 24 hours of the engine being confirmed to be nonfuncitonal by the dealer.

Here's the update:

The insurance adjuster went out and looked at the car today. They're going to cover it! He said that it definitely looks like Valvoline was negligent in this case. I'm getting a new engine! (Well, rebuilt)
    They are also going after Valvoline for the 500.00 deductible! (Provided I can find my receipt)

Unfortunately, it will be two weeks to get it repaired. They're providing a rental car, but--I miss mine! It will be awesome though---the adjuster said Geico will pay for an engine that has a 30 day warranty on it, but he suggested I pay 250.00 and they can put in a rebuilt engine, which will have a 3 year warranty on it. (And 0 miles!)
    So basically, I get a new car for 250.00! (and possibly the 500.00 deductible if I can't find my receipt)

I just can't wait to get my baby back...

Unregistered
    Here's the update:

The insurance adjuster went out and looked at the car today. They're going to cover it! He said that it definitely looks like Valvoline was negligent in this case. I'm getting a new engine! (Well, rebuilt)
    They are also going after Valvoline for the 500.00 deductible! (Provided I can find my receipt)

Unfortunately, it will be two weeks to get it repaired. They're providing a rental car, but--I miss mine! It will be awesome though---the adjuster said Geico will pay for an engine that has a 30 day warranty on it, but he suggested I pay 250.00 and they can put in a rebuilt engine, which will have a 3 year warranty on it. (And 0 miles!)
    So basically, I get a new car for 250.00! (and possibly the 500.00 deductible if I can't find my receipt)

I just can't wait to get my baby back...
    Glad to hear the positive outcome, keyboard.

You should be able to obtain a duplicate receipt through Valvoline.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    How many days this this happen after you had your oil changed? How long did it take before you lost the receipt? You do have it put away don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    How many days this this happen after you had your oil changed? How long did it take before you lost the receipt? You do have it put away don't you?
    I hope I did. I used to save everything, until my house got so cluttered I just started dumping everything. I may very well have thrown it away because I cleaned the house shortly after I got the oil changed.

It was about 3 weeks after the oil change. My theory is that some sludge from the flush broke away and clogged up an intake somewhere, because the oil light NEVER went on.

I was told that I could get a copy of my receipt from Valvoline.

did you pay cash or credit card?? I always pay by credit card, so I will at least have a copy of what I pay for services - I dont rack it up, I just pay by credit card instead of cash and use the cash each month to pay that off - its easier with reciepts - but takes a lot of self control - uggggg

best of luck either way - !!!!!!!!!!
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

Quote Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
    did you pay cash or credit card?? I always pay by credit card, so I will at least have a copy of what I pay for services - I dont rack it up, I just pay by credit card instead of cash and use the cash each month to pay that off - its easier with reciepts - but takes a lot of self control - uggggg

best of luck either way - !!!!!!!!!!

I'm the opposite. I don't generally buy things unless I have cash in hand. I have low limit credit cards which I only use in emergencies. (and lol---they're usually close to the max)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information