Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Getting an 4yr college degree guarantee...

Does Getting an 4yr college degree guarantee...

you a job and make you sound somewhat intelligent?

On the other hand how manyyoung people are out there with 4 yr degrees and are now required to pay back student loans today who make 20-30,000 in fields they never went to school for . They also struggle to live on their own, and instead move back in to live with their parents and their set of rules .

Something is wrong.

Unregistered

Education

Quote Originally Posted by Bringthetruth View Post

On the other hand how manyyoung people are out there with 4 yr degrees and are now required to pay back student loans today who make 20-30,000 in fields they never went to school for . They also struggle to live on their own, and instead move back in to live with their parents and their set of rules .

Something is wrong.
    Nothing beats a good educate. One should not get an education just to make money. It is a life tranformational process.

Quote Originally Posted by Bringthetruth View Post

Something is wrong.
    There are no guarantees in life!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steiny View Post
    Nothing beats a good educate. One should not get an education just to make money. It is a life tranformational process.
    Do you mean education?

Thank god you don't teach english!

Lots of things beat a good education. But of course what is to be expected from a blow hard on the UB payroll.

Work ethic or a solid common sense prove MUCH MUCH more valuable than an education in the long run.

Outside of the fields of Science and Math, most of what is "learned" in college is the opinions of educators. Students to not learn the skills needed to succeed in the workplace but rather how to succeed in a grading system. Students are forced to assemble thoughts on what their professor wants to hear and not what is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    Do you mean education?

Thank god you don't teach english!
    I don't mind people who correct other people's English - however, I've never seen a post of yours with more than 2 sentences without a laughable number of typos. Why would you of all people call someone out for spelling something wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by dave338 View Post
    I don't mind people who correct other people's English - however, I've never seen a post of yours with more than 2 sentences without a laughable number of typos. Why would you of all people call someone out for spelling something wrong?

Sorry, usually I'm typing at work and don't have time for spell check. Second he is a teacher (or claims to be), I work in sales, i'm not the one claiming the EVERYONE needs a wonderful education! And I think Zanna is a little worse than I am!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    Sorry, usually I'm typing at work and don't have time for spell check. Second he is a teacher (or claims to be), I work in sales, i'm not the one claiming the EVERYONE needs a wonderful education! And I think Zanna is a little worse than I am!
    Not a problem ... just thought it was weird.

Unregistered

Stereotype

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    Lots of things beat a good education. But of course what is to be expected from a blow hard on the UB payroll.

Work ethic or a solid common sense prove MUCH MUCH more valuable than an education in the long run.

Outside of the fields of Science and Math, most of what is "learned" in college is the opinions of educators. Students to not learn the skills needed to succeed in the workplace but rather how to succeed in a grading system. Students are forced to assemble thoughts on what their professor wants to hear and not what is right.
    Please don't stereotype anyone on here with anything. How do you know or assume I work at UB? Don't assume anything.

What is the purpose of college? If you are well educated and are well off that is great..

what does college train you to do? You will be fine if you have education and a skill and one that there is a demand for.

College is a waste if you cannot make a living from your investment,
    If I were well off I think a PHd in philosophy would be cool .

Unregistered

College

College teaches and trains you on how to think. Something many do not know how to do.

College teaches and trains you on how to think. Something many do not know how to do.

It does anything BUT this. It trains you to "think" like your professor wants you to think.

Take for example the UB Department of Marketing. Only 1 member has cited ANYTHING regarding online marketing and what was cited are studies that are 5-7 years old. Most of the core competency for these people is on the economics of brand and consumer behavior.

None of these people have any shown experience in social media, e commerce or search engine optimization, which is the largest growth area in spend BY FAR. See Chart below.

The reason is the members of the UB marketing department have been members of the academec circle BEFORE the internet became what it is today. It is clear they have little understanding of the subject matter and because of this cirriciculm does not focus on THE LARGEST SECTION IN THEIR INDUSTRY.

This is why when people leave the UB school of Marketing, most will have to take a lower level job to acquire these NECESSARY skills via on the job training. This is also why most firms outsouce their internet marketing to agencys because they, as well, do not have the knowledge base.

Schools like UB are unable to train students how to think in topics like technology or internet marketing simply because the thought patterns and behavior models of consumers have vasts differences in a digital world. Schools like UB are ubable to teach what their staff simply does not know!

Unregistered

Ub

You can't base this on one college or university, that is not thinking right? Critical thinking skills are essential here in doing effective research.

I guess education and college is not for everyone!

Wow, such hate toward one individual department at UB. You should go meet with them and express what you really THINK.

You can't base this on one college or university, that is not thinking right? Critical thinking skills are essential here in doing effective research.

I guess education and college is not for everyone!

Wow, such hate toward one individual department at UB. You should go meet with them and express what you really THINK.

100% agree that critical thinking skills are needed but they are not everything and UB or any other college is not the ONLY place you can develop critical thinking skills.

As for effective research...what people like you do not get is research is not proven to be effective unless it is applied. It is not applied unless it is in the market. What people like you do not get is the public market finds little to no use of research from academic circles useful in day to day business because those publishing such research have little to no understand of day to day business.

The reason I selected the marketing department is because that is my field of work. I work with on a daily basis with graduates from programs like this who have ZERO understanding of internet marketing.

As to saying my opinion is hate just shows your ignorance. As for meeting with them...if they want to pay my billable rate...I would have no problem with that.

I completely disagree. I've had several professors who spout off their opinions and then publicly chastise you if you don't agree. When I was younger I was too intimidated to debate. Now I just don't give a flying fig and have no problem telling them their opinions aren't the end-all, be-all. One English professor in particular screamed how everyone shouldn't be a blind follower and think for themself and he was the worst offender. I'm lucky enough to be educated enough to hold my own with these "teachers". I have told one before that I was paying him to teach the material and I wasn't paying for his opinion. That didn't go over too well yet through hard work I still managed a 97 in the class.

Back to the question.

There's no clear answer. Having gone back to school as an adult, I have a different perspective on college. I think it's utter and compete BS how colleges make you take certain gen eds. I'm 35 freaking years old and I had to take an intro math class because requirements changed. Nevermind that I placed out of the placement exam when I first began school. I think gen eds are just a way to make more money, I really do. Same goes for some of my major classes. Once I'm out in the real world, am I going to have to know the time line of PR over the years? I highly doubt it. But inbetween the BS, I have learned some valuable theories and skills I'll undoubtedly use once I'm working. There's no way I would have learned those skills and ideas in regular life without college.

People are often shocked to learn I never graduated from college. On the other side of the coin, I'm absolutely floored by some people I meet who have advanced degrees. It's sad how people who lack basic grammar and spelling skills can earn a Masters. I think instead of useless gen ed classes, more classes on writing coherently need to be required.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information