Thread: Erie County property taxes to double in 2006

Erie County property taxes to double in 2006

Heard it on the news tonight. Erie County property taxes may very well increase 100 % in 2006!!! Someone paying $1,500.00 in County proeprty taxes , will be paying $3,000.00 on county property taxes in 2006. Isn't that NICE

See Thread in Speakout Here

Before ANY tax hike, whether it be property or sales, we must cut the budget.

See the thread '10% paycut . . . now' in the Speakout here forum.

10% across the board county paycut = $ 70 Million ! ! ! The legislature has the authority as vested by the County Charter.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required. (Sir Winston Churchill)

Sorry to say, but I don't think that a pay cut will ever happen. The unions have too much control over that issue. If they did have even just a 10 % across the board pay cut, the unions would complaine that it will hurt the people making $20,000 , more than it would someone making $100,000.00 per year. The unions make a good point, but the money has to be cut somewhere. A paycut, though, will never happen.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Then we do a 0% to 20% bottom up. The lowest payees don't get a cut and as the pay scale goes up the cut get's bigger.

The whole budget is about $950 million.

Move every budget line one decimal to the left.

Saves $95 million.

Thousands of budget lines in hundreds of cost centers for all twelve months.

Done by computer in about ten seconds.

When I suggested this to the Divine Miss M when she told me that further cuts were impossible, she turned white and said "That would be devastating."

I told her "That's what you said in December. The world's still turning. It'd be distasteful, but not like you said "impossible".

Our little tete a tete concluded shortly thereafter.
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

Hey biker's back !

The budget may be $ 950 Mill, but the salaries account for 70% of the total. That's how I got my number. I used $1 Billion as an estimate. 10% = $70 Million.

Nevertheless, either way would be a blessing to EC.

And besides, our figures are a lot closer together than Giambra's and Naples' !

It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required. (Sir Winston Churchill)

Bflonum1fan:

You must be smoking something very illegal.

His nibs Personnel Director Greenan said in a TV interview in the street (I think standing in the gutter gives it more credibility) that "even if we laid off all County employees, we wouldn't save enough to close the $113 million deficit."

About three weeks ago. Replayed several times.

None of those bright reporter buckos called him on it. At the time or during any of the replays.

It's prepostorous. Is he a liar or a moron?

Does it matter?

I had a private audience with the Divine Miss M. Took your advice and saw if she could be worked with.

To Mr. Greenan's comment, she said "he didn't mean that."

To Mr. Swarts comment that "the Auto Bureaus make money.", she averred that he actually said "collect revenue."

"Nay, nay", I protested, that was his line in December. Since February, he's been crowing about "making money."

She finally averred, "I can't comment on the words of another elected official."

Why not?

She's supposed to be the voice of the 11th District.

Which gots enough brains to spot BS.

So....where'd you score the stuff Bflonum1fan?

Biker :

His nibs Personnel Director Greenan said in a TV interview in the street (I think standing in the gutter gives it more credibility) that "even if we laid off all County employees, we wouldn't save enough to close the $113 million deficit."
    Who is this guy ? I agree with Lynn that he probably doesn't know what he's talking about. This is a problem in gov't because he probably hires people without any concern for what they're earning. This guy ought to be fired.

She finally averred, "I can't comment on the words of another elected official."
    Lynn, if you read this, I think it's pretty weak. This is important as to whether his dept actually earns money or breaks even. It would be an excellent trait of a good legislator to know this and if it was a question, then it should be necessary to find out. If you don't, then how can you really cut costs ?

Originally posted by bflonum1fan
    Biker :

Who is this guy ? I agree with Lynn that he probably doesn't know what he's talking about. This is a problem in gov't because he probably hires people without any concern for what they're earning. This guy ought to be fired.

:
    Come on buddy; too many brewskis again?

In the quote, I told you who he was: Erie County Personnel Director Greenan.

So--Giambra's Personnel Director makes an asinine statement like that and otherwise intelligent people on this MB accept it as fact "because it was on the news."

I'll make my point crystal clear:

1)the County's budget has about $945 million in spending.

2)70% of any government's spending is on labor and benefits.

3)For Personel Poohbah Greenan to say we couldn't save $113 million "even if we laid off everyone" means he either has an IQ of minus 32 or he's a liar.

Thread Information