Thread: Grand Island Bridge

Angry Grand Island Bridge

Has anybody else noticed that the toll to cross the Grand Island Bridge is now 75 cents? I cannot believe every time we turn around, that there is an increase in tolls, taxes and fees. Where is that extra revenue going, and who decided on that toll increase? For every 100 cars through there is an extra 25 dollars generated. I would be willing to bet that those two bridges(North and South G.I.) see at least 1000 cars a day. Thats 250 dollars a day. In one year that is 91,250 dollars. Who gets that money?

1000? I'd guess more like 10x's that! Now do the math.
    The difference between taxes and robbery is the mode of coercion.

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Re: Grand Island Bridge

Originally posted by IrishPat
    Has anybody else noticed that the toll to cross the Grand Island Bridge is now 75 cents? I cannot believe every time we turn around, that there is an increase in tolls, taxes and fees. Where is that extra revenue going, and who decided on that toll increase? For every 100 cars through there is an extra 25 dollars generated. I would be willing to bet that those two bridges(North and South G.I.) see at least 1000 cars a day. Thats 250 dollars a day. In one year that is 91,250 dollars. Who gets that money?
    IT goes probally to fund more labor in other parts of NYS. Probally stuff we could all do without and no even notice it was missing.

moonshine
    WNY,

I still like your idea of showing up some night and physically dismantling the toll booths.

Anyone wanna form a posse? Free beer!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Originally posted by moonshine
    WNY,

I still like your idea of showing up some night and physically dismantling the toll booths.

Anyone wanna form a posse? Free beer!
    And awesome reason to buy a new power saw!!!! I bet Homedepot has some cool gas powered circular saws!

But a thought,

So when does civil disobedience turn from destruction of public property ( our property) versus a full out revolution?

Lets say 1000 people show up with power tools in hand and dismantels the tolls near ogden. Can't forget safety googles and good gloves too. Can't have OSHA on our backs.

We get 100 people to lay across the thruway so we don't have cars zipping through the tolls booths and the group cuts the booths away. Even pile up the mess so we are not littering.

Does the state send in troopers to arrest the mass of people or will they target who they think instigated it? Would the state send in troopers and use the excuse it's terroism? and then tear gas the group? Do rubber bullets and nightsticks really hurt?

OH beer and real power tools don't mix. The beer is for after the dismanteling.

Let's sell the Grand Island Bridges in the interest of lower taxes, smaller government, fewer government workers, and no user fees.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

just tell everyone crossing over the bridge to pay with a twenty dollar bill and see how much change they have. should block traffic for miles
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

moonshine
    Let's sell the Grand Island Bridges in the interest of lower taxes, smaller government, fewer government workers, and no user fees.
    Let's sell them to the indians as a consolation prize for not winning grand island. They could convert the toll booths into slot machines. Just pull up and pull the one-armed bandit. At least you would have a chance of winning something everytime you crossed the bridge (double the odds if you are towing a trailer). The EZ-Pass's could double as players club cards.

Originally posted by granpabob
    just tell everyone crossing over the bridge to pay with a twenty dollar bill and see how much change they have. should block traffic for miles
    Where have I heard this before? ;-}
    "...give me Liberty or give me a beer and I'll think about it awhile..."

it has been done befor and it did slow things problem was people quit befor it did anything. a sign was placed on most booths saying exact change only this stopped the protest besides people did not want to sit in a traffic jam.
    the other tolls can be avoided but for those of you who live on the island I feel sorry for you this is another fee you cant avoid it will take years of electing new people befor any hope of removing the booths but go ahead and complain its one right we all have
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Personally, I like the idea of a park-in protest. Can SpeakUpWNY and ChangeBuffalo get enough people to simultaneously block all lanes at Grand Island, I-90 in Hamburg, Amherst and the Ogden barriers? Say 100 cars, all with engine trouble at the same time?

Heck, I'll be back in town first week of June and would be happy to take part. It would definitely get a little press and might even get noticed by that far away king… Errr governor in Albany.

You can't start a revolution without spilling a little tea

Thread Information