Plus all the adminstration help

Wouldn't it make more sense to have 1 Cheektowaga
    school district
    with maybe 2 high schools A North & South
    2 or 3 middle schools
    5 or 6 primary schools
    and maybe 1 superindent & 1 assiant Superindent

You are ABSOLUTELY correct.

Less school districts works other places...

Look at

http://www.fultonschools.org/addapag...m_Overview.htm

... Fulton has approximately 9,900 full-time employees – 5,400 of whom are teachers and other certified personnel – who work in 88 schools and other administrative buildings. More than 75,000 students attend classes in 52 elementary schools, 18 middle schools, 12 high schools, two alternative middle/ high schools, and four charter schools. Two elementary schools operate on year-round calendars.

and guess what... our taxes are a lot lower

Why not merge them all with Buffalo. The new super gets $205,000 a year. Lets give him a real job and let him run all of them.

BF

Originally posted by buffalofamily
    Why not merge them all with Buffalo. The new super gets $205,000 a year. Lets give him a real job and let him run all of them.BF
    He's got to deal with seven unions, all whom have their contracts expire this year. You don' think that warrants his salary?

Quite frankly, I'm surprised anyone even took this position at all.

Consider other CEO in public organizations making a large salary, Geiger at the CVB - approx $200k and Kucharski at the BNE - approx $150k are examples. Do you see them in the media much?
    "...give me Liberty or give me a beer and I'll think about it awhile..."

I would agree with one district per town but a large district covering the entire county would make it too easy to hide lost funds.
    small town wide districts put them closer to the people who should watch them. if city and all the burbs combine everyone will just point fingers instead of curing problems. just like we do now.
    big government means big corruption small government means small corruption that we might be able to fight
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Sure, because you don't TRUST people it will never work. Seems to work just fine down here and Fulton is a lot bigger then Erie County. So, keep 30+ school districts each with a supervisor and staff costing over a million a year. Sure, make 30+ separate purchases for the same school supplies … last I knew buying is bulk was cheaper (ask Home Depot or Walmart) Do they get a better price then ma/pop stores? Yeppers

Is there corruption here? I'm sure there is but I doubt it is any more then what happens anywhere.

People have to trust that it will work and then put safeguards in to make sure it does. Maybe southerners are more honest or trusting.

Heck, when I first moved here my big learning was you don't need a lawyer to close on a house, just you and the mortgage company. When I asked about one, I was laughed at. In WNY, I had to run my butt downtown and sit with a bunch of lawyers who I had to pay (even though mine was my aunt).

It would work, but changing the charters and getting the unions to play along will never happen. Getting people in WNY to believe that some new idea will work will never happen, so I guess we just don't try.

Re: Too Many School Districts

Originally posted by jennifer7
    For Example:
    Cheektowaga's Got 4 School Districts:
    Cleveland Hill
    Maryvale
    JFK/Sloan
    Cheektowaga Central
    Yet in the Southeast Corner of Cheektowaga
    the Kids go either to West Seneca East or
    West Seneca West
    then on comopark Borden area they go to Depew
    and Finnally the north East side Hy-view area go to
    Lancaster

thats 4 Superindents making $150,000 +
    and 4 assists making $100,000 +
    Plus all the adminstration help

Wouldn't it make more sense to have 1 Cheektowaga
    school district
    with maybe 2 high schools A North & South
    2 or 3 middle schools
    5 or 6 primary schools
    and maybe 1 superindent & 1 assiant Superindent
    Whenever the subject of consolidating into one district has come up, the people with something to lose in the deal (we know who they are) get up on the soapbox about how terrible this would be, the children would lose out, etc, etc, until they make it all sound like the worst thing since the Plague. The closest it has come to changing, as far as I know, is when there was discussion about sharing of administrative services by a couple of the districts, but it never went any further (see Plague above). I'd love to see them actually become a single district for a variety of reasons, but I don't know how many like-minded people there are here.
    Linda
    ==========================

I don't want to move, I want to make a difference.

Thread Information