Thread: Where is the punishment

Question Where is the punishment

Can anyone explain to me why, over the last few years with all the unprofessional practices in our county legislature(Giambras furniture, Holts texas contributions, Swanicks 6 week "personal" business that we paid him for,etc.,etc.) why is there no consequence to these activities? Why are none of these people held accountable for their actions.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Because I beleive this type of stuff happens all the way up the chain in government. Can't punish one while they all do it.

Because I believe this type of stuff happens all the way up the chain in government
    ...and all the way down. I know a county worker who adds in her kids school supplies (glue sticks, pens, pencils etc) when she does the office purchasing. She also orders a couple extra printer cartridges for herself.

Good point... WHY do we tolerate this. If they were doing this in the private sector business and were caught there would be criminal charges.

Originally posted by Buff Lifer
    ...and all the way down. I know a county worker who adds in her kids school supplies (glue sticks, pens, pencils etc) when she does the office purchasing. She also orders a couple extra printer cartridges for herself.

Oh so this is okay. I feel really good knowing my tax dollars are helping her out.

I personally would have turned her in.

In response

I appreciate your responses to my comments, however I have to wonder if your reponse were thought out. Your views are part of the problem, not part of the solution. We are to the point that we cannot afford any tolerance of theft or misuse of the publics funds.I think you are also missing the point of the misuse. This is not theft from a store or business, this is a theft from every taxpayer in this county. Lastly, the way i was raised, stealing is wrong, regardless of what everybody else is doing.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Originally posted by Irate taxpayer
    Oh so this is okay. I feel really good knowing my tax dollars are helping her out.

I personally would have turned her in.
    Oh come on.. you think this is the only person doing this that works in our local governments.

Gold Member
    Oh come on.. you think this is the only person doing this that works in our local governments.
    No, I'm sure that this is definitely not the only one. If it's "ok" to buy your children's school supplies, $40+ printer cartridges and god-only-knows what else with taxpayer (MY) money, that indicates to me that there is an accepted culture of theft (or "entitlement" as I imagine they consider it).

If I'm wrong, explain to me how this could possibly happen, unless those who oversee this practice allow it to happen. Isn't this what checks and balances are for??

But WNYResident, as your Mom used to say (come on, you're from Buffalo - I KNOW your Mom used to say this like all of ours did), "just because everyone else is doing it..."

Here's a thought - lets start a kitty that can be used to pay whistleblowers for turning in this type of abuse (from within the govt or otherwise). We can fill the kitty with all the money we'll save from the theft. I don't know about anyone else, but this INFURIATES me, even if it is only a few bucks. Add a few bucks a few hundred times and what is the cumulative effect?? A nearly insolvent county!!! (OK, obviously not exactly correct, but you get the idea...)

even if they are turned in the da and judges all need political backing to keep their jobs and wont get it by convicting those that got them elected
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Originally posted by WNYresident
    No I don't and that is part of the problem. It's too easy and become an accepted practice BECAUSE IT IS ALLOWED !!

They justify it with lame excuses of "everyone does it", "nobody will miss just one", "they owe me". It still doesn't make it right.

My first job was a state civil service position and in our department the purchasing/supply clerk held such a tight reign on the locked supply room that we had to fill out forms for pens.

In the private sector, I've worked for companies will similar policies and others that were very easy going as long as YOU ASKED FIRST.

It's difficult to get torqued over the lady's pen and pencil theft, when the big guys lie and steal outright.

Dave S***** has been proclaiming for months that "the Auto Bureaus make money; why are you closing them."

In fact, the Auto Bureuas lose over a million dollars a year. DTWarren showed us the budget figures to support that.

Even the Snooze picked up on that, writing a couple of weeks ago that closing the three offices had saved $113 thousand.

In one month!
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

Thread Information