Thread: Chillin at Emergency Management - from a volunteer organization/agency to big bucks

Lightbulb Chillin at Emergency Management - from a volunteer organization/agency to big bucks

Bonds & Notes
    Adopt Bond Resolution $100,000 For Reconstruction of HVAC System &Improvements at Emergency Management7/5/2011 287Amend & Restate Bond Resolution $130,000 For Reconstruction Of HVAC System
    & Improvements At Emergency Management Building

When this emergency management thing started - it was first discussed by concerned residents that it seemed like a duplication of services. Erie County provides the same services and has been for many years.

Our past Supervisor and Controlling Town Board Members stated it was a volunteer group - then came a command bus - then came two paychecks for two brothers - then it grew into the Town buying the Depew library and larger paid staff - now we see one resolution for air conditioning which is $100,000.00 tax dollars, plus interest - then another bond for $130,000.00 tax dollars plus interest.

This is another redundant service thats mainly over priced tax fund feel good patronage that we tax payers will be stuck supporting pay rolls, expenses,training,seminars,meetings and pensions. Do we actually need something that is already provided by the County - aren't we actually paying twice for the same if needed - some day maybe - more conversation than action agency/group???????

Whats their yearly budget now - and how much air condition do you get for $100-$130,000.00 tax dollars?

#Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Just another paycheck and new vehicle (nice one too!!) paid for by Lancaster taxpayers.

Agreed. I believe emergency management as a function in a community is important, but this group has blown it out of proportion. Look at every other town and village in WNY. One or two people handling mostly planning efforts, maintaining compliance and serving as a liaison between the emergency services and businesses that could pose a hazard in an emergency. In no other town or village will you find this largely staffed organization with so many vehicles. Erie County not only provides the same service, but has far better and more reliable resources and will send them anywhere in the county at a moments notice. I don't understand why we as town residents need to pay for this twice. My opinion, sell the trucks, sell the building and cut the organization down to two people. Enough already!

Quote Originally Posted by techguy View Post
    Agreed. I believe emergency management as a function in a community is important, but this group has blown it out of proportion. Look at every other town and village in WNY. One or two people handling mostly planning efforts, maintaining compliance and serving as a liaison between the emergency services and businesses that could pose a hazard in an emergency. In no other town or village will you find this largely staffed organization with so many vehicles. Erie County not only provides the same service, but has far better and more reliable resources and will send them anywhere in the county at a moments notice. I don't understand why we as town residents need to pay for this twice. My opinion, sell the trucks, sell the building and cut the organization down to two people. Enough already!
    Besides the redundancy and money spent to renovate/repair the former Depew Library, and the $100,000 annual budget, do not forget that this building has an appraised value of $400,000. This building should have sold and been placed on the Depew tax rolls serveral years ago but politics reigned over common sense by past administrations.

techguy, you pose good points and
    I agree with you. Redundancy is prevalent
    and the taxpayers don't need to rely on resources
    that are provided by the County.

Previous admin. really liked to create jobs, patronage
    and so on so they can have this town in the "palm of their hands"

As a taxpayer, we need to clean our hands..

Thread Information