Thread: How many city employee/ union members are Buffalo residents?

Question How many city employee/ union members are Buffalo residents?

Talking voter eligibility here.Does anyone have a percentage or rough idea?

Hard to know because the Police and Fire unions do not require or enforce residency requirements?
    The earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those who are killing it have names and addresses.-Utah Phillips

I don't know the exact number.
    Police ,Fire, Teachers, and Street Sanitation workers are the only ones exempt.
    I live in the city even though I don't have to.
    New hires are required to be city residents in all departments at the time of thier hire.
    The ones in the exempt occupations can, however, move outside the city after they have gone through the probationary period.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Doesn't that seem sort of tacky. You want to work for a place but you don't want to live there. Why would a cop work a little extra harder to cleanup the crime if it's in a city they don't live in?

Mouse- isn't that just about everyone? Those are some large memberships right? How many other unions are there? Sorry for not being up on this stuff.

You have about 700 in 264 blue collar unit. Only about one hundred and seventy five are street sanitation. The rest are water, board of ed, BMHA, engineering, public works etc.
    Then there is the white collar 650 which is about 450 members none of which are exempt. Building inspectors are not exempt. Parking enforcment, civillians in the police and fire deparment, they are all required to live in the city.
    I would guess about seventy percent of the street sanitation guys do live in the city anyway.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

For those of you that are unaware.
    Back in world war II the State passed a law permitting large municipalities to allow workers in those departments to drop any residency requirments for those departments.
    The reason was the shortage of available manpower due to selective service.
    The law is still in effect today and Albany has shown no inclination to repeal it.
    My personal opinion?
    Every one who works in the city should live here.
    I do and I wouldn't live any where else. I love my neighborhood.

Originally posted by citymouse

How did these 4 all get lumped together?

ie how did the sanitation dept get themselves on that list?

700 in 264 blue collar unit.white collar 650 which is about 450 members
    Mouse from what you have said about these two union numbers- it sounds to me like roughly half of those city workers live in the city.

I will assume the ratio is similar in the Fire,Police,Teachers and Sanitation( probably higher numbers of those employees live outside the city).So aside from the financial backing a candidate gets from a union endorsement,
    the actual votes coming from union members and their families/friends is not influential in the least.

How do you draw that conclusion?
    Out of 700 employees in 264 only about one hundred and seventy five are street sanittation and roughly seventy percent of them live in the city or about fifty members. That leaves six hundred and fifty 264 members and forhundred and fifty 650 members.
    A total of a thousand out of a few less than eleven hundred that live in the city.
    Where do you get half?

Originally posted by RagingBuffalo

I,
    the actual votes coming from union members and their families/friends is not influential in the least.

But yet everyone blames the city unions for the politicians that get elected in the city.
    Obviously not what it seems.
    Oh well, gotta blame somebody.
    Nazis blamed the Jews.
    Custer blamed the Indians.
    Moslems blame the infidels.
    City officials blame the unions.

Thread Information