Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Town Library Moving to the Village Watermill - in a word DUMB!!!

Town Library Moving to the Village Watermill - in a word DUMB!!!

I just got caught up with the news over the weekend and read the article about the town library on Main Street moving to the Watermill - that could possibly be the stupidest idea I have ever heard of? First, that library doesn't have any money and, in fact, the library officials came to the Town Board recently (and village board as well) for more money. Second, it would cost the Town millions of dollars to restore and take over another problem from the Village.

That article didn't talk about where the money is going to come from?

As a town resident, I say ABSOLUTELY NOT to ANY Town money towards that money pit called the Mill.

I wouldn't be surprised that the Town would be that dumb to do it. We need to tell them absolutely NO to this idea/concept/wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by hate politics View Post
    I just got caught up with the news over the weekend and read the article about the town library on Main Street moving to the Watermill - that could possibly be the stupidest idea I have ever heard of? First, that library doesn't have any money and, in fact, the library officials came to the Town Board recently (and village board as well) for more money. Second, it would cost the Town millions of dollars to restore and take over another problem from the Village.

That article didn't talk about where the money is going to come from?

As a town resident, I say ABSOLUTELY NOT to ANY Town money towards that money pit called the Mill.

I wouldn't be surprised that the Town would be that dumb to do it. We need to tell them absolutely NO to this idea/concept/wishful thinking.
    Let me guess: You'd like to see high-priced condos there, right?

I would favor any proposal other than forcing the town to pay millions of dollars in restoration for a building that shouldn't have been purchased in the first place. The watermill was always a commercial property and there are ways to have private entities restore it without demolishing it.

Town taxes are high enough without crazy spend-and-spend proposals like this one. Oh, by the way, the library system is broke!!!

Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001 View Post
    Let me guess: You'd like to see high-priced condos there, right?
    What an idea!!! That would be a great location
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit Of All That Threaten It
    What if the Hokey-Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    What an idea!!! That would be a great location
    That attitude is exactly why the village bought the property in the first place. Oh well. I guess it's doomed anyway. All things about this area that make it unique are eventually destroyed. Won't be long before we're just like every other ugly, big-box town in American.

A shame. We moved to the village because we liked what was left of its atmosphere. Silly us.

We moved to the village because we liked what was left of its atmosphere. Silly us.
    Well your neighbors don't like looking at your boat in the driveway either!

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Well your neighbors don't like looking at your boat in the driveway either!
    Huh? What boat?

That attitude is exactly why the village bought the property in the first place. Oh well. I guess it's doomed anyway. All things about this area that make it unique are eventually destroyed. Won't be long before we're just like every other ugly, big-box town in American.

A shame. We moved to the village because we liked what was left of its atmosphere. Silly us.
    Don't go focusing too much on image again, that's dangerous!

A "big box" is not ugly if people are employed in the "big box."

I hate the whole "big box" terminology as stigma. It's freakin' ridiculous. Who the hell cares? So modern buildings are modern buildings, deal with it.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Fan, I was just being facetious (sp)

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1 View Post
    Don't go focusing too much on image again, that's dangerous!

A "big box" is not ugly if people are employed in the "big box."

I hate the whole "big box" terminology as stigma. It's freakin' ridiculous. Who the hell cares? So modern buildings are modern buildings, deal with it.
    You and this big-box obsession of yours! It was nice to live somewhere with some character....just a little corner of the world where people can actually walk to places, shop in little boutiques, eat in small cafes, have locally made ice cream and sweets, and enjoy apple cider at a historic mill. But that's quickly becoming the past.

There are plenty of other places in Amherst for your beloved big-box stores. How the city's unemployed will reach them is anyone's guess, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    Fan, I was just being facetious (sp)
    Oh. Sorry about that.

You and this big-box obsession of yours! It was nice to live somewhere with some character....just a little corner of the world where people can actually walk to places, shop in little boutiques, eat in small cafes, have locally made ice cream and sweets, and enjoy apple cider at a historic mill. But that's quickly becoming the past.

There are plenty of other places in Amherst for your beloved big-box stores. How the city's unemployed will reach them is anyone's guess, though.
    The problem is that people slap the term "big box" on things that are NOT stores, just because it is a new building, and then attribute mass retail negative qualities to WHATEVER type of business in in that new or so called "big box" building.

What if the town decided to build a Heaven forbid, NEW library in that space in a *gasp* new building!? Would people pass out then?

Who the hell cares? A building is a building.

Oh, and I think there should be a new rule: No one is allowed to make any snarky comments about "architectural integrity" or "big box" jabs before first looking at the design of the building where you are employed and RECEIVE YOUR PAYCHECK. I bet a lot of us *ahem* and our spouses *ahem* work and get PAID in modern style, square shaped buildings... *ahem* But do you cry every day when you walk into work because the building isn't pretty enough? No, because it doesn't matter... You are getting paid.

And as for all this library stuff... If the town is trying to stick a new library in some old building that they must go through many hoops to rehab, then they are doing so to appease those of "such tastes" who want that building to be there and to look pretty... Ah, well, touche' to me...

But I do know *ahem* that the whole library system should not be pulling out any more money for such lofty stuff. I agree with hate politics. Let the private investors who want to rehab the building buy it. Don't make the government do it.

In a national recession, the library system should be spending more money on computer training programs and informative materials.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

What would happen with the current library building?

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    What would happen with the current library building?
    I think it becomes more office space for Town Hall.

Oh. Sorry about that.
    Growing up, I spent a lot of time in the village with my family. I hate to see any of it changing.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information