Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welfare Reform in New York State

Welfare Reform in New York State

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story...62495&catid=37

New York State's public assistance program has come under scrutiny recently. It receives high marks for helping people, but not for its sanctions.

Two On Your Side's Addie Bradshaw traveled to New York City to speak with a man who helped transform Illinois's public assistance programs.

He tells us, welfare or public assistance programs, vary greatly from state to state.

"There's no reason in this great country of ours, even with its current problems, why anybody should be on welfare, at least more than temporarily," says Gary Macdougal.

In New York State, more than 500,000 people receive public assistance and according to the urban institute it's one of only six, just six places in the country that doesn't limit how long adults can do so. Many say that's because of the state constitution. New York established its own system beyond the federal time limit.

The NY State Constitution reads, Article 17, Section one "the aid, care and support of the needy are public concerns and shall be provided by the state."

The constitution stops short of saying how much aid, how little or for how long.

County Executive Chris Collins says, "We have families moving to Buffalo from California, so that we will provide for them at a level they can't be provided for anywhere else."

Welfare reform advocate Gary Macdougal says once they're here, not enough is done to encourage a transition off the system.

In the state welfare report cards he co-authored for the Heartland Institute, Macdougal gave New York an "F" for its sanctions or penalties when a recipient doesn't work.

His study found that, across the country, eighteen states take away a recipient's entire check the first time they don't work. The length of that sanction varies, but, in New York, the sanction is only a percentage of the family size.

For example, a single mother with two children would lose a third of her check, a family of four, loses a fourth of it. Even if the mom fails to work a second, third, even a tenth time, the check won't get any smaller.

Welfare advocates at Catholic Charities say that's punishment enough.

Addie Bradshaw asks, "A lot of people make New York's system out to be a very generous one. Do you see it that way?"

"No I don't," answers Doris Corley.

"Why not?"

"Because the system is the system. You're still not given anymore than anywhere else and there's expectations the system does have," she answers.

In Doris Corley's line of work, she sees people receiving public assistance and still needing help. She believes New York State is strict and that imposing hard time limits would be inhumane.

"How frustrating is it to hear someone say 'cut them loose. It's sink or swim. Either they make it on their own or they don't?" It lacks compassion. It lacks compassion and it lacks understanding."

And that, too, is one of Elnora Walker's chief complaints. Now, a program assistant with the Salvation Army, Walker received public assistance for years. Despite having clerical skills, social services placed her on clean-up duty at Dunn Tire Park. Six years later, she found her current, permanent job.

Walker says, "Some people may need more time. I don't know what I would have did if that was the case."

"So even five years isn't enough?" Addie Bradshaw asks.

"Five years isn't enough. No. Not to just say, 'you're cut off and on you're own."

While Walker wishes Social Services had given her more choices for employment, she admits getting off the system is a personal decision.

Despite ranking New York the fourth worst in the country for welfare reform policies, Macdougal gives the state an "A" for reducing its rolls.

He says federal welfare reform in 1996 contributed a lot to that, with more than a million people getting off public assistance since that time.

You can see, in recent years, though, the reductions have been relatively stagnant.

"I think the success, so far, has been done arguably with one hand tied behind their back," says Macdougal.

And, yet, the question remains how could the system work better? Should New York have stricter policies and tighter time limits or should Albany provide more, more choices when it comes to employment, better services like job training and resume building? Welfare advocates believe that is the answer.

So we took those questions to David Hansell. He runs New York State's welfare system.

He says the days of simply getting a check are long gone.

"You can't just stay home and collect benefits you have to participate in work programs," the Commissioner told us.

At his Albany office, he told us, this system in place now is working.

"I think its working I think there's always more we can do and we are always looking for ways to improve our program," he said.

We asked him about New York State's separate fund, so recipients can be on welfare forever. He said, its mandated by the state constitution and historically continued by the state legislature.

We went to Western New York Assemblywoman Crystal Peoples, who sits on that committee.

"Is it time to re-look at that policy?" asks Kristin Donnelly.

"Well, I mean the federal government cuts people off with no regard for whether or not they're going to have a job with no regard for whether or not they're going to have somewhere to live and so suppose New York cut them off as well, what are we going to do start putting mattresses in all the streets," she answers.

"It's easy to say, it's a whole nother thing to do," Peoples says.

And Hansell says welfare recipients checks are garnished if they refuse to work and that's only 7 percent of all cases statewide.

We also asked about County Executive Chris Collins' claim that some families move to New York State to take advantage of benefits.

"There are people that migrate across different parts of the country I'm not sure there's a trend, we don't have any evidence that that's the case," Hansell insists.

Right now, New York State spends about $2 billion dollars on the welfare program.

Hansell points to a change in the ways contracts are handled. Community based organizations, once paid for seeing clients are now paid based on performance only.

"What would you say to taxpayers who want to see less money being spent and more money in their pockets?"

"I would say first of all less money is being spent on welfare today than 5 years ago or 10 years ago 15 years ago. And I would say that the way our program is structured today as opposed to the way it was structured 10/15 years ago is one that keeps people from taking advantage of the system," he answers.
    Arggggggh, don't even know where to start.....

We are one of the few states that give welfare benefits to single individuals.

If they refuse to work in the work programs, the agency still have to continue medicaid.

There are recipients that have been exempt from work programs for years because they never graduate from rehab programs.

When the 5 yrs Federal benefits limitation runs out, NYS then decides to pick up the total tab.

90% of welfare recipients are frauds. Boyfriends & husbands are in the household. Ask any landlord!!

I remember yrs ago, I had one tenant who husband received SSI, she claimed she hurt her back (weight 300lb) and was exempt from the work program. All her children were on plus she had her cousin's daughter. In addition, she had her granddaughter for foster care money and they bus picked up this 4 yrs old for daycare. The grandbaby's father was useless and received SSI too.

All children get breakfast and lunch in school which is ok with me but you mean to tell me the adults here couldn't volunteer at school?
    Kiss someone that's different. It helps.
    Lets get the facts first, then go for the jugular!!
    It's all transparent, just read between the lines..

PickO said: "All children get breakfast and lunch in school which is ok with me but you mean to tell me the adults here couldn't volunteer at school?"

Considering their attitude toward the system, would you really want them to volunteer at school?
    If it weren't for the United States Military, there would be NO United States of America !

Quote Originally Posted by JustRetired View Post
    PickO said: "All children get breakfast and lunch in school which is ok with me but you mean to tell me the adults here couldn't volunteer at school?"

Considering their attitude toward the system, would you really want them to volunteer at school?
    Well, what happens in schools is they go through the NYS registry for a background check.

They work from 20 hrs to 35 hrs per week and it is a motivator to find regular work.

They are usually too tired when they get home and thus the quality of life in the neighboors goes up.

They set an example to their children that they are working etc

I loved the video portion of the story.

One says they were on welfare for 10 years, the other 5 years. When asked if they thought that was too long to be on welfare they both said,

NO!

Medicaid is the other welfare monster. ER's across WNY are filled with welfare parasites who complain of "back pain" and other false maladies. They visit multiple hospitals and collect numerous scripts for heavy duty narcotics which are then sold on the street. Eventually, those taxpayer-provided Loratabs end up feeding the addiction of the local high school student.

"Welfare, keeping lazy people unemployed since 1929."

Crystal Peoples last night was priceless.I wonder how long she was on the dole untill she landed that Job in Albany? Oh wait she still is on the Dole.
    The broad from Catholic Charitys on welfare for 6 friggin years.Great command of the Kings english I must say. How come they didnt interview any White people? Oh wait our mail boxes are full of Checks form Obama and the rest of the wealth redistributors. God I love this State.

Honestly, and I'm serious too.....

We need to see MORE PEOPLE living under bridges!!!!!!!

Not the truly needy or disabled..... I'm talking about the system milkers that live generation to generation off the system.

You want to smarten people up? Let others see them living in a park! You NYS idiots love your parks so much, let people LIVE IN THEM! Nothing is a greater drain on tax dollars than a park anyway! Maybe if others saw someone sleeping on a bench they might wake up and say, "Wholly sh**! I don't want to end up like that"!

Instead they say, "Look at him, he's got his ride, a pocket full of cash and all that bling. I'm gonna sell drugs and collect a gub'ment check"!

These political losers don't know what reform is. $2 Billion on Welfare! Start drug-testing and overseeing their budgets. You want welfare? NO CELLPHONES, NO COMPUTERS (use the government subsidized ones at the government subsidized libraries), NO CABLE TV! Take a good look and monitor who they are living with! No more not getting married so you can get extra cash while your baby-daddy lives with you and collects his check too!

The politicians again turn their heads the other way on this this. This state is about only six states in the country that has a policy that you can be on W forever!

There are people on the system that are perfectly able to work. There should be a limit on their benefits & $ amount and time for recieving the money for these people. Their eligibility should be dependent on community service, maybe public sector jobs, etc. This freebees benefits are out of site.
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit Of All That Threaten It
    What if the Hokey-Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    Their eligibility should be dependent on community service, maybe public sector jobs, etc.
    You bring up a good point Smiley!

If politicians REALLY wanted to reduce welfare rolls here is something they could do....

NO more nepotism on the public payroll. No more 15 family members all collecting a paycheck compliments of the taxpayer. 1 person per family is allowed to work in a taxpayer funded job. When possible, hire someone on public assistance to mow the lawns at the parks, collect the garbage, etc.

Politicians want to spread the wealth? Let them start with there own!

Quote Originally Posted by Enough View Post
    Honestly, and I'm serious too.....

We need to see MORE PEOPLE living under bridges!!!!!!!

Not the truly needy or disabled..... I'm talking about the system milkers that live generation to generation off the system.

You want to smarten people up? Let others see them living in a park! You NYS idiots love your parks so much, let people LIVE IN THEM! Nothing is a greater drain on tax dollars than a park anyway! Maybe if others saw someone sleeping on a bench they might wake up and say, "Wholly sh**! I don't want to end up like that"!

Instead they say, "Look at him, he's got his ride, a pocket full of cash and all that bling. I'm gonna sell drugs and collect a gub'ment check"!

These political losers don't know what reform is. $2 Billion on Welfare! Start drug-testing and overseeing their budgets. You want welfare? NO CELLPHONES, NO COMPUTERS (use the government subsidized ones at the government subsidized libraries), NO CABLE TV! Take a good look and monitor who they are living with! No more not getting married so you can get extra cash while your baby-daddy lives with you and collects his check too!

Maria whyte will not stand for any of this kind of talk. Bike paths I tell you Bike Paths.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    There are people on the system that are perfectly able to work. There should be a limit on their benefits & $ amount and time for recieving the money for these people. Their eligibility should be dependent on community service, maybe public sector jobs, etc. This freebees benefits are out of site.
    Smiley Unionize em.Then they can do county work for what they are worth $6.00 per hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgoodsp466 View Post
    Smiley Unionize em.Then they can do county work for what they are worth $6.00 per hour.
    goody, you of all people want me to do what???
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit Of All That Threaten It
    What if the Hokey-Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Cgoodsp466 View Post
    That's true. Welfare recipients can't do work when there is a union in place.

I would find out if they had relatives in another state and give them a free ticket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information