Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Galleria Mall.

Tony Fracasso - Admin

The Galleria Mall.

Cheektowaga bee

So in hindsight was this good for our town or not?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Cheektowaga bee

So in hindsight was this good for our town or not?

They nailed it on the head with the Thruway and Appletree not surviving. That said, I think it's safe to say that overall the Galleria was good for Cheektowaga. It became the premier shopping destination in the area and the taxes followed.

If it was not built, I think you would have had the Eastern Hills grow and those funds would be going to Clarence rather than Cheektowaga.

Seneca mall also died but Mckinley Mall helped with that one
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

I think it was overall good. The other malls would never have generated the revenue that the Galleria has. I'm not sure if the Ontario folks would have been coming over here in droves to shop like they do now.

What I find interesting is the item below about Judge Rogowski and Gabryszak, 25 years from now will we still be reading about these same families in local government?

In this day and age I think the days of large Malls are coming to its full circle which will end one day because more, and more Internet store buying will put Malls out of sight in the not to near future. Until then, I will keep going to the Mall buying those items I will not buy over the Internet.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

I never thought the Apple Tree and Thruway Mall arguments against the Galleria made any sense. Like saying "if we build a modern new hospital, then the old out of date hospital will lose business." So?

Since the Galleria brings in soooo much tax revenue, then taxes in Cheektowaga must be really low, right?

If not, then where the **** does all that money go? And how do other towns get by without this type of revenue?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I never thought the Apple Tree and Thruway Mall arguments against the Galleria made any sense. Like saying "if we build a modern new hospital, then the old out of date hospital will lose business." So?
    Your comparing two complete different industries..

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    Since the Galleria brings in soooo much tax revenue, then taxes in Cheektowaga must be really low, right?

If not, then where the **** does all that money go? And how do other towns get by without this type of revenue?
    I was waiting for someone to bring that up.

This is the reason why I started this thread in the first place.

I do most of my shopping on line. and wait for the best price possible and have it delivered if the delivery is free. to avoid delivery charges I use in store pick up. If they try to kick up the price at the store I show them my online receipt. Sears used to try and tack on a salesmen's commission to the price that i refused to pay since I did not use a salesman. the only time I go to a mall is sears or Best buy pick ups . My biggest problem with Malls is all the kids that run all over causing problems. Years ago Mckinley used to have chairs and tables where the husbands gathered we played euchre there a few time a week but the new disign did away with the tables.
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

That's the crime here, all this tax money has been pissed away somewhere. Imagine what Cheek Central taxes would be without the Galleria and all of the surrounding businesses that came with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    That's the crime here, all this tax money has been pissed away somewhere. Imagine what Cheek Central taxes would be without the Galleria and all of the surrounding businesses that came with it?
    Wow, you're right. Just look at the 2011 school taxes paid for just 5 properties on Walden Galleria Dr-
    $1,845,860.10 Lot- 102.02-1-5.1
    $ 99,312.94 Lot- 102.02-1-17.22
    $169,659.60 Lot- 102.02-1-17.23
    $977,872.77 Lot- 102.02-1-17.21
    $97,141.10 Lot- 102.02-1-17.21/G

Total- $3,102,419.51

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Wow, you're right. Just look at the 2011 school taxes paid for just 5 properties on Walden Galleria Dr-
    $1,845,860.10 Lot- 102.02-1-5.1
    $ 99,312.94 Lot- 102.02-1-17.22
    $169,659.60 Lot- 102.02-1-17.23
    $977,872.77 Lot- 102.02-1-17.21
    $97,141.10 Lot- 102.02-1-17.21/G

Total- $3,102,419.51
    Not only that, but doesn't the Town get a portion of the sales tax collected?

I'd love to see a comparison of the revenue stream that Cheektowaga collects as opposed to surrounding towns.

Bottom line is - when municipalities collect extra money, they don't think "Oh good, now we can lower taxes." Instead they think "Oh good, how can we spend it?"

Bottom line is - when municipalities collect extra money, they don't think "Oh good, now we can lower taxes." Instead they think "Oh good, how can we spend it?"
    Even worse is they start to ask how can we collect more. A perfect example is Bethlehem Steel and Lackawanna. Talk about milking a cow dry.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Not only that, but doesn't the Town get a portion of the sales tax collected?

I'd love to see a comparison of the revenue stream that Cheektowaga collects as opposed to surrounding towns.

BINGO... The revenues apparently are not helping the "little people" as jbird puts it. Go look at the 6 figure club we have in our town. This is what happens when you have the same "families" from the Cheektowaga Democratic Social Club...

The residents really see no benefit against our taxes. BUT we have loads of traffic and green space paved over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information