Thread: Elected County Exec vs. Appointed County Manager

Elected County Exec vs. Appointed County Manager

In connection with the debates regarding regionalism and reducing the size of the county legislature, there is another concept which would be a real paradigm shift for Erie County... what about a total restructuring the form of government.

Here is a 'white paper' I found on-line which discusses the various options available under NY Law. The author identifies 6 different scenarios on a continuum from a Board of Supervisors to the form we have (elected exec and elected legislators). http://www.co.ulster.ny.us/charterco...acgs_draft.pdf

While in theory, the idea of an elected county exec. to balance and check the elected legislature makes sense, our test case here in EC proves the theory has flaws. Would a professional manager, recruited from national pools with proven experience and accountability to a legislature be a better idea.

Btw, I am not discounting the idea of a smaller legislature. I am not convinced yet that 62,000 vs some larger number is written in stone. Neither am I proposing a larger, regional form of government. My personal belief is that regional government should focus on regional issues: infrastructure, court systems, public health and mandates. Local government should be empowered for the rest to permit a stronger connection and access between the taxpayer/constituents and the elected official on matters of local concern.

Anyway, what do you think? Should we consider a total overhaul of the structure of government in Erie County.

moadib

Cindy, I already posted this topic in a poll that most people supported

Cindy, I already posted this topic in a poll that most people supported

its still active by the way, if you wanted to see what people said.

I think that the current CE demonstrates the big problem with an elected County Executive. A career politician can make a "good" CEO if he sees himself doing his civic duty and has expertise himself and/or hires competent department heads. He or she may even squeak by as a "decent" CEO in good times. When an elected CE with as much power as Giambra is granted by the county charter sees his public office as a cash cow to be milked for the benefit of his friends and relatives or hires incompetent or mediocre department heads based on their political connections rather than their ability, things start to fall apart. Add bad economic times into the mix, and it's a runaway train barrelling down the track to fiscal disaster. Add arrogance into the mix and you have Joel Giambra and Erie County.

I think an appointed county manager, with a written job description and with a written set of job qualifications (both written in the county charter), is a better way to go, particularly if the entire executive branch is reorganized and made primarily civil service to eliminate much of the patronage pork. Those department heads and others in non-civil service positions should not only have written job descriptions and qualifications, but they should also go through an open job search with the emphasis on getting the best candidate for the position not the best-connected candidate.

I also think that it would be wise to rewrite the qualifications for the other elective county offices. I think it should be expected that the District Attorney, the County Clerk, the County Comptroller, and the Sheriff have appropriate four year degrees plus significant experience in their field. I think all four should have had some government service as well.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    When an elected CE with as much power as Giambra is granted by the county charter sees his public office as a cash cow to be milked for the benefit of his friends and relatives or hires incompetent or mediocre department heads based on their political connections rather than their ability, things start to fall apart. Add bad economic times into the mix, and it's a runaway train barrelling down the track to fiscal disaster. Add arrogance into the mix and you have Joel Giambra and Erie County.

That sort of sums it up

Thread Information