Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sheriffs Dept.

Well here we are, I tried, and we just got word that the Sheriff will do what he wants irregardless of whats mandated or not. I really don't care whether there are road patrols or not, they are not mandated in the County Charter, so next year they will be gone. Erie County cannot afford to have services that are not mandated any longer.
    I'm tired of listening to everyone complain about taxes going up, services disappearing, people losing jobs etc. But, when you ask some one to help, perhaps by running for office, or registering to vote so we can get these idiots out of office, they can't find the time.
    It's no wonder that people are leaving Western New York in droves, it's too depressing to stay here.

Originally posted by steven
    Odly enough the things she mentions like transporting inmates, The Holding Center etc are whats mandated by state law. Patrolling districts for free is just another form of suburban welfare that most suburbanites take for granted and have come to expect.
    If you would read the County Charter, I believe you will find the mandates I speak of, also you will find no reference to road patrol being a mandate. That part came from the State
    ( according to the Sheriff).

you keep saying most suburbanites. well most of us are from towns that have our own police force and also question why some towns get free service. If I remember correctly 13 towns have their own police and some villages also do.
    and I was born in the burbs I did not mover here to avoid "Them" as one of you put it. I have stayed here because I like a big yard with plenty of room for my gardening hobby. I entertain large groups in my yard so it is important to have room.
    as for rural lady we in orchard park do pay for our police force and streets library roads etc if you have a free ride with police you better start building a police station because the free ride is over
    for all of you this is not a war between the burbs and the city its between tax payers and what government we have now .
    if you think people moving to the burbs is the problem ask your self why they left the city and fix it , until then people will keep leaving. if you want them back make them welcome dont accuse them of trying to better themselves by leaving a sinking ship.
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Originally posted by rural lady
    If you would read the County Charter, I believe you will find the mandates I speak of, also you will find no reference to road patrol being a mandate. That part came from the State
    ( according to the Sheriff).
    I don't think the sheriff patrolling grand island is in the county charter, If it is, it shouldn't be. Please point me to where it is. I don't see this issue as a city vs suburb issue. Like the poster above me said plenty of other suburban towns have there own police force. If grand island wants to remain a separate entity they should pay for there own police svc as well.

The county charter is trumped by the state charter and state law will always take precedence.

In the great scheme of things everyone should pay there own freight. I am a big fan of user fees vs taxes, people that use a service should pay for it. Not everyone paying for a county park that maybe 30 percent of the population uses while Buffalo and some towns pay for their own parks svc, or free polices services for 5% of the county while other suburban towns and Buffalo pay for their police service.

Why should you (and the rest of grand Island and Clarence) not pay for something that 90% of the rest of the people have to pay for? Why should residents of Buffalo, Amherst Cheektowaga etc subsidize you through there county taxes?

The Sheriff says the road patrol is mandated to keep some form of prestige with his job. Without the Road, all he is is a prison warden.

I didn't say that road patrol is mandated in the County Charter Steven, if you read my post you'll see that I said the Sheriff claims it is a State mandate. All the state says is that he is the "conservator of the peace". He is using that to keep his road patrol alive. At the same time, he has moved road patrol deputies that are in a different job classification into the jail as transport, instead of laying them off as he was supposed to. As to the retirement of a Chiefs position this last week, my good friend in the now disbanded mounted division, informed me that the Sheriff has once again reshuffeled people into internal affairs and other departments, to protect their jobs!

Re: Sheriffs Dept.

Originally posted by rural lady
    the Sheriff is using road patrol deputies to transport inmates, instead of patroling the districts like he says he's supposed to, and leaving the districts empty
    that was your first post, if I misunderstood then I am truly sorry

That's OK- sometimes when I type I get to typing faster than what I am thinking or vice versa, anyway I am so frustrated about this whole thing. Now we have heard that within a couple of weeks the Sheriff will be removed from his position by Pataki and replaced with an appointed person to finish out his term. That might put the nail in the coffin for a couple of wanna bees on his patronage list! Maybe the replacement Sheriff will have the guts to get rid of the road patrol the right way. If this rumor is true, it would explain why Gallivan has refused all interviews lately.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information