Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheriffs Dept.

Biker:
    I found what I was looking for:

Buffalo News Sunday Jan 16, 2005,
    Published on January 16, 2005

Michael Beebe and Dan Herbeck - NEWS STAFF REPORTERS

When the FBI targeted dirty cops in the Buffalo police narcotics squad, nobody got hit harder in the crackdown than Sylvestre Acosta and Paul Skinner.
    Agents suspected that at least 10 detectives -- roughly one quarter of the elite drug squad in the 1990s -- were taking bribes, filing phony search warrants and stealing cash from drug dealers.
    The FBI has since won convictions against seven of those detectives, including Acosta and Skinner. Another was acquitted by a jury but fired.
    The full article, 10 taken in that day. Busted!

ummm sorry I didnt no we where talking about the 1990's

Originally posted by steven
    Its not the road patrols I object to, its the free police service inside town limits that I object to.
    What about the towns that don't have their own police force?
    You also have to remember that us "country Folk" don't benefit from some of the things that the city does, such as bus service, trash pickup, sidewalks, street lights etc. We pay the same taxes as all county residents do, and when the road patrol (mandated or not) does not respond because they are doing other work than what they are supposed to do , who do we call?

Re: Re: Sheriffs Dept.

Originally posted by WNYresident
    What makes that illegal?
    If the Sheriff is mandated to be the conservator of the peace as he claims, then by not patroling the county as he should he is ignoring the law.

Originally posted by LHardy
    There may be illegal/unethical activities going on within the EC Sherriffs Dept. of which, none that I could share.
    If you wish to state fact with proof of those facts it would be nice to know.
    The rumor mill will run rampant if not kept in check with this kind of subject.
    Does corruption happen with cops? Yes! Just look at the 10 Buffalo cops who where busted this year. Could there be more? Maybe.
    I could and have notified proper authorities with facts and proof with little or no result. I know all about rumor mill, lived with it for 18 years.

Originally posted by rural lady
    What about the towns that don't have their own police force?
    You also have to remember that us "country Folk" don't benefit from some of the things that the city does, such as bus service, trash pickup, sidewalks, street lights etc.
    I pay for garbage, trash pick up, streets and lights through my city taxes. The county tax money doesnt pay for any of that in the city. I dont get any free bus service either so I dont see your point.

I also pay for my own police svc and just want everyone else to do the same. If a town cant afford its own cops, snowplowing, and street repair than it shouldnt be a town. Subsidizing sprawl is not my ideal of a good use of tax payer dollars.

Some of the towns that receive Sheriffs Patrol services have a paid contract with the Dept, and when the Sheriff pulls the officers to do transport or other non patrol duties he is depriving taxpayers of their police protection. For instance, last week Grand Island was completely without Deputies for many hours because they were tied up with a transport. I live on a county road which will not be maintained this year because of funding.Who knows what next winter will bring?

First of all you chose to live there.

And you probably made that choice because the County expended tax dollars to make your travel easier and safer and provided sheriff's patrols and libraries.

So, perhaps you thought, this isn't bad. I have a paved road, a library, poice protection and none of "them" (whomever they may be).

Well guess what, there was a price. But you weren't paying for it. It was paid for by all of us for your benefit.

Secondly, the sthere are no more contracts for sheriff's road patrols. Why? It cost the villages too much, once Alfreda Slominski did an audit and found that the real cost of serice was far higher than the amount the sheriff charged!!!

Originally posted by rural lady
    Some of the towns that receive Sheriffs Patrol services have a paid contract with the Dept, and when the Sheriff pulls the officers to do transport or other non patrol duties he is depriving taxpayers of their police protection. For instance, last week Grand Island was completely without Deputies for many hours because they were tied up with a transport. I live on a county road which will not be maintained this year because of funding.Who knows what next winter will bring?
    I believe the town you mention, Grand Island does not pay for the service.

Pity poor Grand Island. Five police agencies patrol it. Town constables, Sheriffs, State Police Troop T, State Police Troop A and State Parks Police.

That does not include Immigration, the Border Patrol and the Envirionmental Conservation officers.

Originally posted by omar
    First of all you chose to live there.

And you probably made that choice because the County expended tax dollars to make your travel easier and safer and provided sheriff's patrols and libraries.

So, perhaps you thought, this isn't bad. I have a paved road, a library, poice protection and none of "them" (whomever they may be).

Well guess what, there was a price. But you weren't paying for it. It was paid for by all of us for your benefit.

Secondly, the sthere are no more contracts for sheriff's road patrols. Why? It cost the villages too much, once Alfreda Slominski did an audit and found that the real cost of serice was far higher than the amount the sheriff charged!!!
    Who said it was a paved road? You are wrong about the contracts, some of them are still in force. I'm just saying that if the Sheriff is obligated to provide a service, then he should do so.
    Otherwise we all lose. He would be better off spending our taxdollars on something that is mandated.

There is no mandate to provide sherrif svc inside town limits that I am aware off. Once a town, city, villiage, incorporates its their responsibility to provide those services for their residents. The free police svc so many towns get (and take for granted ) was started when Buffalo was one of the most prosperous citys in the country and could afford to waste tax money on its burbs. Obviously those days are over.

In this regard Erie county is the exception not the rule.

Where are these contracts?

What "mandates" exist other than the holding center, the courts and civil process?

Odly enough the things she mentions like transporting inmates, The Holding Center etc are whats mandated by state law. Patrolling districts for free is just another form of suburban welfare that most suburbanites take for granted and have come to expect.

This thread is a good example of throwing a lot of stuff against a wall and hoping something sticks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information